Dude must have called a foot fault...

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
There are several other courts we've played at over the years I would've expected this news, but not PB. I know there's a lot changing in that area, but that is pretty shocking right there in the middle of NE Jackson.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Reactions: Double Dawg

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Whodathunkit? I mean, that area is such a beacon of fine demographics and stability.

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
My daughter played her first tennis tournament there, 6 years old in 2012. We were there for many more up until about 2015 including a few clinics. It seemed like it got worse and worse every year. Really not surprising at all.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
That area has been crap for years.
It's close enough to Kroger, Highland Village, Maywood Mart, Deville that it still seems in the middle of all that. Green Oak next door is where all the rich people get their flowers. Great Scott and The Rogue. It's basically across from JA and Sheffield. Right down the street from Heatherton/Rollingwood (still hanging on) to the east, and none of that is very far from Eastover, where some of the highest net worth individuals in the state live. There's still a lot of viable things in that area, so I wouldn't say the whole area is crap. I mean, it's definitely not going in the right direction... but a murder? Jeez. Still surprised me.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Guessing since he was found at 7:15am that it happened at night? Is that a place people stick around to play tennis after dark? Or do you pretty much have to be out of there before dark?
I've personally never felt unsafe there. I've played plenty of league matches that ended after 9 PM. There's a walking trail, workout area, etc. It's literally steps from Jackson Academy.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
It's close enough to Kroger, Highland Village, Maywood Mart, Deville that it still seems in the middle of all that. Green Oak next door is where all the rich people get their flowers. Great Scott and The Rogue. It's basically across from JA and Sheffield. Right down the street from Heatherton/Rollingwood (still hanging on) to the east, and none of that is very far from Eastover, where some of the highest net worth individuals in the state live. There's still a lot of viable things in that area, so I wouldn't say the whole area is crap. I mean, it's definitely not going in the right direction... but a murder? Jeez. Still surprised me.
A murder in that area is not surprising at all. Go 2 blocks down near the Capitol Grill and Sam's Lounge, that underpass below 55 is crawling with vagrants. I wouldn't want my wife or children walking around Parham Bridges day or night.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I've personally never felt unsafe there. I've played plenty of league matches that ended after 9 PM. There's a walking trail, workout area, etc. It's literally steps from Jackson Academy.
There have been several cars with windows broken and stuff stolen from them over the last 5 or so years. Nothing like this though. Doesn't surprise me though. The area is definitely getting worse. I feel bad for the Overcash family. They've put a lot of work into making it a top class tennis facility and get no support from the city, so the facilities are crumbling even though they still have good tennis programs there. Supposedly, there's some money coming in from some people in Eastover to renovate it. But I haven't seen any actual work started. And by the way, I don't foot fault, so don't even think about trying to call it on me.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Damn! I know several guys who were on his tennis team. Looks like his truck was stolen. I'm guessing went to park for an early morning walk. Scary.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
JA put up a fortified fence years ago.

Highland Village and Eastover is kinda like the next intersection down, and that's fine. But alot changes right there in that area.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
This is horrible. My son is in his second year of playing tennis. Wife and I took him to the park last Tuesday to get him a more challenging practice than what he is getting at school (first year tennis program for the school). 90% of the time I am carrying, when we got out of my wife's car she said do you really need your gun here, my response was hell yeah I do. This suck b/c we were planning on taking him for lessons throughout the summer. Guess it is time to find a plan B.

patdog

May 28, 2007
This is horrible. My son is in his second year of playing tennis. Wife and I took him to the park last Tuesday to get him a more challenging practice than what he is getting at school (first year tennis program for the school). 90% of the time I am carrying, when we got out of my wife's car she said do you really need your gun here, my response was hell yeah I do. This suck b/c we were planning on taking him for lessons throughout the summer. Guess it is time to find a plan B.
During daytime when they’re giving lessons to kids, it’s perfectly safe there.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Reading comments, sounds like an overnight drug deal, gone bad.
So he was found by a tennis player, coming to play tennis.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Reading comments, sounds like an overnight drug deal, gone bad.
So he was found by a tennis player, coming to play tennis.
That was my other guess. But I don't think so. Body would have likely been found earlier. I think probably very early morning. He was found by someone coming to play tennis. Very well may have been the guy he had gone to Bridges to play.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
That was my other guess. But I don't think so. Body would have likely been found earlier. I think probably very early morning. He was found by someone coming to play tennis. Very well may have been the guy he had gone to Bridges to play.

The Website says PB opens at 8:30 AM.

patdog

May 28, 2007
JPD is in a chase as we speak with the person that stole the truck.
What an idiot. Chase started literally less than a block away from Parham Bridges. And too close for comfort to my office. I just drove by that WalGreens a few minutes ago.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I saw a description of the victim. It sounds like he was a really good man . Just a damn shame.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I saw a description of the victim. It sounds like he was a really good man . Just a damn shame.
Several friends knew him and they all spoke highly of him. You never know, but this really looks like he was the unlucky one who showed up first for an early morning tennis match. Which is scary since my group has played many matches there at 8AM on summer Saturday mornings. We may have to rethink that.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
From media report: “He still had the victim’s blood on him. He was still in the victim’s vehicle. He still had the murder weapon. He had the victim’s credit cards on him,” [JPD Chief] Wade said. “He’s absolutely a reckless and dangerous person, who took a person’s life with a pink assault rifle.”

WTF?

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Glad I left Jxn in 2001 - I met a Louisiana girl and moved down to the Northshore. I lived near Chastain Middle School and would often jog around the neighborhood at night. I wonder how long I would've stayed at that house had I not met my wife.