East Carolina

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
I respect ECU’s baseball program, but the American Athletic Conference has become a dogshit baseball conference. The Sun Belt is a lot better.

Who is the second best team? Tulane (RPI 94)? They swept East Carolina two weeks ago.

ECU is interesting this year. They took 2 of 3 from UNC and went 2-0 against NC State. They were rolling to a national seed then lost 5 in a row and struggled at the end of the season.

I think the committee wants to reward non-power conference champions that schedule OOC well. They had the 8th toughest OOC SOS and their non-conference RPI is 2. They just have a small margin of error in conference play.

They also won today on a walk-off steal of home. Can’t say I have seen that before.

Reactions: Anon1664516582

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
I respect ECU’s baseball program, but the American Athletic Conference has become a dogshit baseball conference. The Sun Belt is a lot better.

Who is the second best team? Tulane (RPI 94)? They swept East Carolina two weeks ago.
To be fair, I think the only conferences better than the Sun Belt are the SEC (obviously), the ACC, and the Big 12 (for now). If you lined up teams 1-10 from the Sun Belt and the B1G and had them play each other, I think the Sun Belt takes it comfortably.

Even worse than the American is what’s happened to the Big West. They are pitiful.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
ECU is interesting this year. They took 2 of 3 from UNC and went 2-0 against NC State. They were rolling to a national seed then lost 5 in a row and struggled at the end of the season.

I think the committee wants to reward non-power conference champions that schedule OOC well. They had the 8th toughest OOC SOS and their non-conference RPI is 2. They just have a small margin of error in conference play.

They also won today on a walk-off steal of home. Can’t say I have seen that before.
When you are in such a bad league you have to schedule strong OOC. But it is all baked into your overall SOS. And ECU’s overall SOS is 72.

Our OOC SOS is very low, but our overall SOS is 14 because we play in the SEC. The burden to schedule strong OOC is on teams in dogshit leagues.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
To be fair, I think the only conferences better than the Sun Belt are the SEC (obviously), the ACC, and the Big 12 (for now). If you lined up teams 1-10 from the Sun Belt and the B1G and had them play each other, I think the Sun Belt takes it comfortably.

Even worse than the American is what’s happened to the Big West. They are pitiful.
I would put the Sun Belt ahead of the Pac-12 this year, and that’s before the Pac-12 loses all their historic programs next year.

Reactions: patdog

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Expansion hurt that league. Used to have UConn and UCF who were solid programs and Houston who had a good run in the 2010’s.

It’s also a little sad to see what Tulane turned into knowing how awesome they were pre-Katrina. Partially thanks to Gautreau and our old pal Andy.

Reactions: skydawg1 and patdog

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
ECU’s AD replaced Cohen on the selection committee this year. Indiana State’s AD was already own the committee.

There are no SEC AD’s on the committee this year. Think Jeremy McClain (USM AD) will be advocating for a Mississippi school to host?

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
ECU’s AD replaced Cohen on the selection committee this year. Indiana State’s AD was already own the committee.

There are no SEC AD’s on the committee this year. Think Jeremy McClain (USM AD) will be advocating for a Mississippi school to host?
Scott Stricklin very recently replaced Indiana State’s AD on the committee, but the ECU guy is still on it.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I will be ticked if ECU hosts over us after the NCAA made a big to do about canceling low RPI games at the end of the year. ECU canceled their bad RPI game while we took the RPI hit and played UNA. That is the primary reason ECU is still ahead of us in RPI.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
My guess is if Wichita State manages to hold on in game 2, ECU is out, and they may be already.
However, with Oklahoma State performing well this week, they've grabbed that slot if it's open.
Then we're left to hope that either UCSB's stadium is ruled ineligible due to lack of media facilities or the committee decides Oregon State shortage of Q1 wins rules them out (and that they like our metrics better than Duke's and Wake's).

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Funny thing. LSU May win the SEC tourney and go from unranked to a #2 seed at a middle of the road 1 seed. Somebody gonna get their feelings hurt on their home field!

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
Funny thing. LSU May win the SEC tourney and go from unranked to a #2 seed at a middle of the road 1 seed. Somebody gonna get their feelings hurt on their home field!
LSU is playing really well one year coming off a Natty, yet it takes Lemonhead 3 years to get us to our historical average and the Genespagers on this board are ecstatic. Let that sink in.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
ECU got hit recently with a bunch of injuries including 3 really good pitchers.
They’re good but not top of the pack SEC good.
They may finish 11-13th if in the SEC