Favorite Jack Cristil adage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
I'll start with the ball being "equidistant from the sideline stripes."

B Rock

Feb 22, 2011
“The QB and the receiver weren’t on the same page there; but hey, it’s only week eleven.”
“It’s third down and so long, you will need surveying equipment to see how much is needed for a first down.”

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
I've always liked " a pile of humanity" and "equidistant from the sideline stripes", and of course the obvious.

mcfly.sixpack

Mar 21, 2009
Pumps, fakes, shoots, scores it

He rams home a three

At this point it is rather academic

and he's knocked down at the 2 yard line

and I love the starting lineups, 6 tall 222 out of Jackson MS

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
"You can wrap this one in Maroon and White! "

Other than that there are so many moments and clips that I cannot fathom to remember them all. How about "Bulldogs Recover, Bullogs Recover, Bulldogs Recover!"

His voice sounded so weak last night and yet it still has that sound. His voice was Mississippi State to me for so many years. All we had was WCPC radio and his voice for games for so many years.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
or something to that effect. He said that right after Norwood broke off the late 4th quarter TD run in the 2004 Florida upset in Starkville. I guess we had gotten shafted a time or two earlier in the game. That's one of the great things about Jack. He did show a bias towards MSU, but the way he delivered the message was still calm, confident, and collected. Even when he said that sarcastically, it wasn't in a frantic state of excitement - as most announcers would do these days. You could tell he had a passion for MSU in what he said and how he said it, but he rarely every raised his voice to the point of annoyance or where it muddied the message. His words were always well chosen and very descriptive of what was going on without losing his audience. He is the antithesis of David Kellum - which basically makes him the best radio announcer on the planet.

Badon

Jun 12, 2006
"...on the campus of Mississippi State University. I'd like to give a 'hello' to Mr. and Mrs. Fair Reeves from Clinton, Louisiana."

That's some early 80s stuff there. He used to give all those hellos.

</p>

Brahmabull

Sep 18, 2008
on kick off returns - "he's hit along the 20 yard line and will take his customary seating position at the 22 yard line."

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011
Been reading this board for years without posting. I grew up listening to Jack, starting in 1980 when almost no MSU sports were on TV, and I couldn't resist this thread. I posted something similar on Gene's board about ten years ago.

My favorite Cristil sayings include:

1. "Don Smith is engineering at quarterback, the six-tall youngster hailing from Hamilton, Mississippi . . ."

2. "Head coach Richard Williams is stylishly bedecked in his grey suit, harmonized with his maroon tie."

3. "The Bulldogs are seven yards away from the land of milk and honey, trailing nothing to three with two times out remaining."

4. "John Fourcade is hit and he is dropped, into the customary seating position. They will spot the ball along the forty-four yard stripe, 'they' being the working officials."

5. "The maroon-headgeared, maroon-jersied, white trousered Bulldogs will have football possession with the ball equidistant from the sideline stripes."

6. "The Bulldog offensive linemen are performing yeoman duty along the forward wall."

7. "The handoff is to the tailback and he cannot go, as he is stacked up by a writhing mass of humanity along the three yard line, led by Glenn Collins and Johnny Cooks."

8. "It's as cold as a pawnbroker's heart, but this crowd is alive here at Scott Field."

9. "Reggie Collier wants to throw . . . now under pressure and he's hit and dropped for a loss by Aaron Pearson, andAaron is aroused."

10. "And Dampier slams it in the goal. Kentucky asks for and receives time out, and we'll now pause for these messages on the Mississippi State network from Coke, from State Farm, and from our good friends at Iupe's, on the Square in Canton."

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
[/insert pic of Heath Ledger as Joker with quizzed look and "not sure if serious" caption]

Maroon Blood

Mar 3, 2008
mainly in the 70s describing a basketball shooter who was hot that night and making all of his shots. Some say he was saying "depot stove." Old-timers, like myself, remember it well.

cripstaruny

Mar 3, 2008
He's hand checking, he's hand checking, he's hand checking, still hand checking, and they finally call the foul.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
as opposed to a standard "dubmass" response. Wanted to be sure I didn't reverse dubmass my own dubmass.

thedog

Mar 3, 2008
when asked of his plans for the future, he said, "I don't even buy green bananas at the store."

and

CJ Sirmones is wide open at the 15!!!!!

Its third and2 and a half, just call it 3 as we won't split yards at this point.

futaba.79

Jun 4, 2007
not an adage, but it was funny as **** when he said referred to Stansbury's kids as Noah, Luke and Moses.

Status
Not open for further replies.