FC: Penn State Football Player Accused of Assaulting Tow Truck Driver

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
You can't see the difference between a guy who thinks his car is being illegally towed (a crime) and an incorrect sauce?

Because people stealing cars do so in tow trucks marked with the company name and contact info?

Don't parking lots like this one have signs about being towed, and the name/phone of the tow company?

Reactions: Psu00 and Ironman2

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
Because people stealing cars do so in tow trucks marked with the company name and contact info?

Don't parking lots like this one have signs about being towed, and the name/phone of the tow company?
They don't steal the car, they tow the car and then require you to pay to get it back. Understand? An easy guess would be 99% of people and 100% of students would never question the legality of the tow. If it was legitimate you'd think the smart thing to do would be to wait for the police to sort it out.

I have no idea if signs were present and neither do you.

Reactions: PSUFTG2 and LB99

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Maybe. But that’s what I, and at least one other person here, took from that account.
Hence why I made the post I did about fans excusing idiotic behavior simply because a guy plays for their team...while if he played for a rival, condemning the same behavior. You characterized it as Carter wanting to call 911, and the driver then grabbing a crowbar and threatening him with it. However, that's now how it actually played out (based on the accounts). And once he's in the car, why the F would you put your hands on him and drag him out of his car? Simply asking for trouble at that point.

CbusLion

Oct 28, 2021
Yes. However, if you read the accounts of it. Carter told the guy he was calling 911 to make sure it was legit and at that point the guy threatened him with a metal bar. The driver isn’t completely innocent here. If he was just doing his job, let Carter make that call and let the police sort it out.
The thing is, whether the tow truck driver is an a-hole or not doesn't absolve Carter from a physical altercation that wasn't self defense.

Parking limited in state college, predatory tow truck drivers, etc. none of that matters when you are a 260 pound PSU football player with millions of dollars at stake, you don't put your hands on anyone. I hope he doesn’t get in trouble (again) but it sounds like really foolish behavior.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Hence why I made the post I did about fans excusing idiotic behavior simply because a guy plays for their team...while if he played for a rival, condemning the same behavior. You characterized it as Carter wanting to call 911, and the driver then grabbing a crowbar and threatening him with it. However, that's now how it actually played out (based on the accounts). And once he's in the car, why the F would you put your hands on him and drag him out of his car? Simply asking for trouble at that point.
I’m not arguing that or excusing Carter. I’m saying the tow truck driver has some culpability in it escalating. Let Carter call 911. Call 911 yourself. But he didn’t.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
The thing is, whether the tow truck driver is an a-hole or not doesn't absolve Carter from a physical altercation that wasn't self defense.

Parking limited in state college, predatory tow truck drivers, etc. none of that matters when you are a 260 pound PSU football player with millions of dollars at stake, you don't put your hands on anyone. I hope he doesn’t get in trouble (again) but it sounds like really foolish behavior.
I can’t disagree.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
I’m not arguing that or excusing Carter. I’m saying the tow truck driver has some culpability in it escalating. Let Carter call 911. Call 911 yourself. But he didn’t.
The facts will come out in Court, and the account may be inaccurate, but I see nothing in it that says Carter was prevented by the tow truck driver from calling 911.

Reactions: Psu00 and Mufasa94

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Towing Fees just went up in State College in 2022 too. A**holes.

The State College Police Department worked with the towing companies to determine the recommended fees, Gardner said in December.

The changes include:

• Non-crash towing increases from $175 to $225

• Crash towing increases from $300 to $375

• Fee for tows requiring use of a dolly increases from $20 to $50

• Drop fee increases from $100 to $150

• Storage fee after 24 hours increases from $45 to $60 per day

• Protection fee for vehicles with open convertible top or open windows increases from $40 to $60

• Drive shaft removal only increases from $60 to $75. (Removal and reinstallation remains the same at $90).

The ordinance also sets a fuel schedule for tows of more than 5 miles ranging from $6 to $7.50, based on the towing company’s current fuel costs.
What if I'm an up and coming tow truck driver and want to do it for less? The thought of a municipality, town, township, city, state, country telling people what things cost just repulses me.

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
The entire team should be made to clean Beaver Stadium after every home game this season.
The the club/group/team that volunteer to do that won't get the much needed fund raising money. Sorry, been one of those groups. Quick and dirty way to raise money for an organization.

Reactions: LB99

CvilleElksCoach

Oct 8, 2021
Well, now we both know

Aspen is in College township not the borough. Several of our players live in that complex.

Nits1989

Oct 29, 2021
Is that fair because he is a football player. Would the tow truck driver do the same or act the same if it was you or me?
If you‘re asking if I meant he should get breaks for being a football player, no. Carter was there before the car was towed. What a jerk move to tow when he’s trying to work something out. No compassion for another person. It’s the way the tow business in State College operates. You’d think the college would do something to protect students. The exorbitant ”storage” fees are outrageous.

Nits1989

Oct 29, 2021
Correct. Sometimes the person who gets the worst of a situation deserved it.

WSTLion87

Oct 10, 2021
I don't know the whole story just what I am reading here but I will say the entire incident sounds juvenile. The tow truck operator had to be absolutely nuts to try and use a crow bar on a physical specimen like Carter. OTOH, Carter has everything to lose in this matter and should never have lost his cool and become aggressive with the tow truck operator. It's unfortunate for all parties involved.

Reactions: LB99

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Next man up? I don't think a 2nd degree misdemeanor would result in suspension from the team.
Agreed. Likely not, but what if it was a suspension for just one game, the opener? That is against WVU on the road. It's a game we would be expected to win, but it is no slam dunk and Carter's presence might make a difference.

Reactions: bdgan

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
The facts will come out in Court, and the account may be inaccurate, but I see nothing in it that says Carter was prevented by the tow truck driver from calling 911.
Yep. Once again, 90% of the responses would seem to indicate that the author of the post didn't even bother to read the source information.

FWIW: This is not the first "stupid games/stupid prizes" event for the student involved.

IBeBlockin

Dec 28, 2022
While there are 2 sides to every story, my impression of Carter is that he is not the brightest bulb.

I still find it interesting that at one point in his recruitment it went from psu seeming to back off from him, since he appeared to be an academic basket case, to him seeming to suddenly become academically eligible after he camped at psu.

Last edited:

Ironman2

Dec 18, 2021
I don't know the whole story just what I am reading here but I will say the entire incident sounds juvenile. The tow truck operator had to be absolutely nuts to try and use a crow bar on a physical specimen like Carter. OTOH, Carter has everything to lose in this matter and should never have lost his cool and become aggressive with the tow truck operator. It's unfortunate for all parties involved.
Agree. The driver should carry a taser instead. I'm guessing he pulled the crowbar to keep from getting beat up.

Anon1648262989

Mar 25, 2022
Dumb but not as bad as everyone will make it out to be. A team suspension of sorts will be in order, and I would assume a team probationary period would also be in place with certain things to be achieved by Carter during that time.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
My hopat boat mechanic repos cars during the off season. He’s a big scary bro but legally conceal carries. I’m guessing he would have shot Carter

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
If you‘re asking if I meant he should get breaks for being a football player, no. Carter was there before the car was towed. What a jerk move to tow when he’s trying to work something out. No compassion for another person. It’s the way the tow business in State College operates. You’d think the college would do something to protect students. The exorbitant ”storage” fees are outrageous.
It is like that everywhere once your car is hooked up. Like any tourist place that thrives with people who do not actually live there permanently , you have local people making a living right or wrong. I’m sure signs were posted at that complex.

Reactions: Ironman2

Shadow99

Oct 25, 2021
Here’s a thought, don’t park your car where you’re not permitted to park. That way the people that pay for that parking are able to use it.
Not directly related to this specific incident, but when living in an apartment complex (albeit not in SC) and having all of the proper parking approvals, and upon receiving specific approval from apartment complex management that the vehicles would not be able to be moved in case of a snowstorm while on vacation, I returned on at least 3 separate occasions to find the vehicles towed anyway. The apartment management eventually agreed each time to reimburse the exorbitant towing and storage fees, but the towing company, during pickup, while demanding ridiculous fees that had to be 5% cost and 95% profit, claimed that they "had no choice" because "they had to follow rules", despite explaining to them that the apartment management makes the rules that they are supposed to follow and in this case they were NOT followed. As far as I know the apartment complex did not recover any $ from the towing company during any such incidents despite reimbursing me.

So while the football player's physical response is not acceptable, the advice to just "remain calm" is not helpful either, and unless towing is called through AAA, there is no intrinsic trust that they are "just doing their job" .

Assault is a crime... and so is extortion. :oops:;)

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Reading the article that was posted on BWI, Carter had some of my sympathy...until I got to the part of him dragging the driver across the street and throwing him down (injuring the guy).

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
They should wheel a TV into his jail cell tonite and let him watch the Draft…. “This could have been you next year!” WTF! Just call Blaise Alexander and have them give you another car!!

Reactions: ODShowtime

EPC FAN

Oct 7, 2021
Well this town is like any other town or city when it comes to parking fines or towing. I think it sucks that you have to pay for parking after 6 now downtown but any city or town even Myrtle now is 5 bucks for beach parking per hour!! If premium Lot, better location it is more! If you are parked longer and it is expired after a while you get towed!
N. Myrtle Beach GOUGES every guest, everywhere. Restaurants, shops, beach services are all GOUGES! We pay it because we like to vacation there, but it is a GOUGE!

Reactions: step.eng69

Latest posts