FC: Sean Clifford unionizing players at Penn State.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
Clifford is not a student athlete any more. A sixth year of football eligibility is foolish. It is time for Clifford to get on with life after college football.
Yes, how dare he interfere with our God given, constitutional right to sit on a couch, drink beer, play better and coach better than anyone, each and every fall!
An athlete with a mind.....we hate that!

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Pat Kraft wants to link Sean Clifford to Kevin Warren for Student Athlete issues. That's great!, but no other student athlete can help represent PSU on student athletes? It's fine . . . I'm out.

Yeah, I still don’t know about this - did another player try to do this and was told no?

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
College football is dead. I think I'm done with it. And I know I won't be the only one. Woke nonsense strikes again.

NL2017

Oct 25, 2021
College football is dead. I think I'm done with it. And I know I won't be the only one. Woke nonsense strikes again.

How is a 6th year senior leading a union of 18-19 year kids, most of whom are two years removed from being driven to HS football practice by their moms, a bad idea?

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
How is a 6th year senior leading a union of 18-19 year kids, most of whom are two years removed from being driven to HS football practice by their moms, a bad idea?
somehow, it seems like the idea of the people who actually do the work getting paid is bad, while paying passive investors is good- not sure how this has become dogma

PSU73

Oct 12, 2021
somehow, it seems like the idea of the people who actually do the work getting paid is bad, while paying passive investors is good- not sure how this has become dogma
It would be quite interesting to see the Income Statement and Balance Sheet for Penn State sports. Maybe it exists somewhere. So long as there are capital investments required (facilities, improvements, infrastructure, etc.), a profit is needed to fund them and at that level it is in essence a 'not for profit' enterprise. Any excess above that invest/payback/invest scenario makes it a 'for profit venture' and when the intention is to maximize that profit by capitalizing on the demand/popularity it's a full-fledged business enterprise. The conundrum here is the majority of the labor (players) for all the sports teams are non-paid and only one or two sports may actually make a profit while all the others do not. Do all the players get some compensation, some more than others due to cashflow by program, or is it equal across the board, or some other scheme. I think it's fair to question/examine this. I think the NCAA has failed to keep up with the times and as such is no longer needed.
Worth remembering that Joe had the vision of doing something long ago with the idea to pay a monthly stipend. Wonder what he thinks now?

dcf4psu

Oct 25, 2021
when can we get rid of clifford.......lousy QB
I don't blame him for the offensive woes. Look no further than the o-line and the lack of a running game (besides Clifford). But, this seems to be a lot of time and effort being put into something instead of being 100% committed to the upcoming season.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
If I'm Clifford, the first question I ask Kraft (not some distraction like Warren) is why doesn't the surplus generated by the football program got to benefits for the football program instead of underwriting stuff like tennis, golf, and..........yes, I'm going to say it, wrestling?

GulfCoastLion

Oct 14, 2021
How does he find the time for this crap given football and classes?

o_O
He’s apparently graduated, although taking some class, or classes to stay eligible for his 6th season. In any case, he has a ton of time on his hands outside of football now. If he’s going to be our starting QB this year and lead this team to a strong winning (say 9 wins minimum) season (unlike the past 2 seasons), then we’d better hope he’s 100% concentrating on playing football once camp breaks again for the 2022 season. This extracurricular stuff may be nice for his post college football career & potentially for other players with NIL, etc, but this team needs a bonafide, locked in QB that’s committed to winning football games now.

Reactions: NB4PSU and BobPSU92

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
Sean Clifford coupled with Coach Fraudklin is why every PSU fan, past and present…old and young, should lower their expectations for PSU Football 2022.

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
1. It’s professional football now. The players are deriving their primary source of income from “performing” on the field.

2. Requiring these men “spare me the kids ****” to attend classes is a silly idea.

3. The players are effectively free agents. Why honor any scholarships beyond one year? If they don’t perform they should hit the street and go somewhere else. Penn State owes them nothing. They have to earn their keep now, just like the rest of us.

4. They are open to criticism for any failure to perform. If they hear boos too bad. They are no different than ball players in any other sport. If they don’t like it tough. No time to go back to Mama now. They are men. Their parents had best get used to it.

Reactions: NB4PSU

ElwoodBlues

Oct 12, 2021
I'm actually surprised at the number of posters who are NOT crushing Clifford for this. In my selfish fan-centric opinion, NIL / recruits to the highest bidders + Transfer Portal / perpetual free agency + whispers of unionization all = a seriously compromised product and pushing me further and further away from CFB.

They're not employees. They're not workers. They're college students playing a game and being treated like kings. The NLRB has already ruled on this. If they don't like the rules - go somewhere else (which actually is my fear b/c an NFL minor league would really crush CFB).

Reactions: NB4PSU and WillyMO

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
I'm actually surprised at the number of posters who are NOT crushing Clifford for this. In my selfish fan-centric opinion, NIL / recruits to the highest bidders + Transfer Portal / perpetual free agency + whispers of unionization all = a seriously compromised product and pushing me further and further away from CFB.

They're not employees. They're not workers. They're college students playing a game and being treated like kings. The NLRB has already ruled on this. If they don't like the rules - go somewhere else (which actually is my fear b/c an NFL minor league would really crush CFB).

We’re saving our disdain for the field. The first game of the season isn’t that far off.

Reactions: NB4PSU and WillyMO

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
If Clifford were missing practice during fall camp and the season to have these conversations that is one thing.

What exactly is it some here think he's missing this summer?

If this were a Buckeye or a Wolverine doing this, the same posters would be whining that PSU is falling behind.