Final X New York Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
so far, I think all those up 1-0 heading into R2 have won their R2 matches. We need a win by Nolf, and perhaps a few others besides Zahid, to spice things up a bit.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
so far, I think all those up 1-0 heading into R2 have won their R2 matches. We need a win by Nolf, and perhaps a few others besides Zahid, to spice things up a bit.

lol, and the very next match, between Gwiz and Hayden Zillmer (125 KG FS), spices things up a bit, as Zillmer wins 4-3. Gwiz won in R1, so this weight class will require a R3 match.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
60 KG GR will also require a R3. Ildar Hafizov won R1. Dalton Roberts won R2, 3-2.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Sarah Hildebrandt with back-to-back 10-0 TFs at 50 KG FS to earn a spot in the World Championships. (To clarify, she had a TF by that score in R1, and a TF by that score in R2.)

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Two matches, and Nolf is the only wrestler to score a TD, but Dake wins the 1st-place slot. smh

Reactions: Hotshoe

AK1967

Dec 9, 2021
Two matches, and Nolf is the only wrestler to score a TD, but Dake wins the 1st-place slot. smh
Wow. Awesome job by Nolf. Had to beat the ref too. Dake being former champ got all the calls he needed. As Tom mentioned didn’t score a takedown in 2 matches. Very proud of Jason Nolf. Tremendous improvement from previous matches.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
57 KG WFS - Helen Maroulis TFs Alexandra Hedrick 10-0 in R1, and then attains a TF with the same score in R2. She is .... very good.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
Wow. Awesome job by Nolf. Had to beat the ref too. Dake being former champ got all the calls he needed. As Tom mentioned didn’t score a takedown in 2 matches. Very proud of Jason Nolf. Tremendous improvement from previous matches.
I am sure someone with more wrestling stat savvy than me could figure out how many people have scored a Dakedown in the recent past. Kyle's first match in Tokyo was poor but generally, few folks score on him.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
interesting tweet by Nomad. For those that followed Chance when he was dominating in PA wrestling, the comment rings true.

Reactions: Got GSPs

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I'm disappointed that Nolf didn't win, but Dake can frustrate almost any wrestler. His strength and his defense are tough to prepare for. And while he didn't have any TDs today against Nolf, you always have to guard against his offense.

In the big picture, Nolf has made amazing advancement. Unlike many of the PSU greats of recent years, Nolf had almost no experience in FS pre-PSU, and almost no experience (at least competing) while at PSU.

When he first was competing in FS after his PSU career ended, he seemed baffled by the rules, and in some ways the rules worked against his creativity and amazing variety of offensive moves. Since then, he's worked on FS, and has elevated himself to the closest competitor to Dake, and he wasn't far from winning today.

While I will always respect Dake's wrestling ability, I will never underestimate Nolf's ability to master wrestling technique. In time, it would not surprise me a bit to see today's results be reversed.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
so 3 of the competitions are going to a 3rd match at Final X New York

AK1967

Dec 9, 2021
I am sure someone with more wrestling stat savvy than me could figure out how many people have scored a Dakedown in the recent past. Kyle's first match in Tokyo was poor but generally, few folks score on him.
Agree. But if you watched the match he got a huge call in both 1 point matches. Oh well I will root for Dake now too. Go USA.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

WOW. Quite a comeback by Zillmer. And an agonizing defeat for Gwiz -- by criteria in match 3, after being up 5-0 in the match.

Reactions: SRATH

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Tough to speculate, what do you think CS's move should be?

that's a tough one. Going from memory, I think the Senior Worlds are in September, while the U23 Worlds are in late October.

I saw something in the past week (series of tweets or an article; can't remember which) about how a lot of college coaches don't like their wrestlers to opt for U23 Worlds because it's too close to the college wrestling season.

I see how that could be a concern, but CStar has gotten better since day one at PSU, so I doubt that training for U23 Worlds would impact his college season.

As with virtually everything involving PSU wrestling, in Cael we trust. I'll leave it to him/his staff to figure out the best path for CStar.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
that's a tough one. Going from memory, I think the Senior Worlds are in September, while the U23 Worlds are in late October.

I saw something in the past week (series of tweets or an article; can't remember which) about how a lot of college coaches don't like their wrestlers to opt for U23 Worlds because it's too close to the college wrestling season.

I see how that could be a concern, but CStar has gotten better since day one at PSU, so I doubt that training for U23 Worlds would impact his college season.

As with virtually everything involving PSU wrestling, in Cael we trust. I'll leave it to him/his staff to figure out the best path for CStar.
Yep, ICWT. It might be good to get out of SC and work with the older guys. If he opts for U23, he can just keep doing what he is doing. A U23 title might help him build his brand a bit more.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew