For the Lebby pessimists out there

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
1. Was he at the Wallen concert?
2. Has he been talking down on Vegas because there's no Target or Cheesecake Factory?

patdog

May 28, 2007
We do this every time we get a new coach. I'm guilty too. But let's revisit around game 7 of the 2024 season.
Yeah. Fact is nobody knows how good, or not good, Lebby will be. We’ll just have to see. May not really know for a couple of years. He’s got a big rebuild and a tough schedule. If we win 6, I’ll be happy.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Are there any Lebby pessimists out there?
Sure are. I’ve seen a ton of “only reason he was hired is because he’s Selmon’s boy”. He’s going to be a good coach for us and put an exciting product on the field. At a time when entertaining football is desperately needed after MSU football being in the wilderness the last 6 seasons

Reactions: Air Raid 2.0

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I am a Lebby pessimist. My evidence:

1) Seemed like the easy hire, although this doesn't always mean anything. Cohen was an easy hire for baseball coach too, and turned out to be the right one;
2) Reminds me a lot of Moorhead - offensive mastermind/wizard/savant, etc., former QB, supposedly a good 'crooter', good talker, reports are he is a players coach, and that he butted heads with Venables (a known tough nosed coach);
3) Does not have a niche offense - he basically runs this new popular Baylor deal that is no longer mainstream, and also didn't hire a proven DC, which shows he may not understand the MSU culture.

There you have it. I hope he does well, though, I have no interest in watching MSU suck at football.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I just want him to turn his cap around frontwards.
mad gran torino GIF

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
“Fit” is overrated, he will be a good fit if he wins and a bad fit if he loses.

Time will tell if we ever play defense or not but I think the offense will be the best thing we’ve run in a while. Maybe since Dak was here.

patdog

May 28, 2007

1) Seemed like the easy hire, although this doesn't always mean anything. Cohen was an easy hire for baseball coach too, and turned out to be the right one;
2) Reminds me a lot of Moorhead - offensive mastermind/wizard/savant, etc., former QB, supposedly a good 'crooter', good talker, reports are he is a players coach, and that he butted heads with Venables (a known tough nosed coach);
3) Does not have a niche offense - he basically runs this new popular Baylor deal that is no longer mainstream, and also didn't hire a proven DC, which shows he may not understand the MSU culture.

There you have it. I hope he does well, though, I have no interest in watching MSU suck at football.
These are my concerns too. We fired one very young, inexperienced coaching staff that was a disaster and hired another young, inexperienced coaching staff. This time last year, a lot of us were all really high on Arnett too.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022

3 really dumb points 😂

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I'm a pessimist when it comes to our DC. That will either be the greatest hire or the second worse in MSU history at DC. It's going to hard to top that guy Mullen brought in. He was so bad I refuse to repeat his name. Also, I can't remember either.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'm a pessimist when it comes to our DC. That will either be the greatest hire or the second worse in MSU history at DC. It's going to hard to top that guy Mullen brought in. He was so bad I refuse to repeat his name. Also, I can't remember either.

This looks like a great resume for a special teams coordinator. He's spent 1 season since 2009 as a full-time defensive coach, after which the entire coaching staff was fired.
  • 2024-present:
    Mississippi State, Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers
  • 2022-23:
    Alabama, Special Teams Coordinator/Outside Linebackers
  • 2021:
    Ole Miss, Special Teams Coordinator
  • 2020:
    Texas, Co-Defensive Coordinator/Inside Linebackers
  • 2016-19:
    South Carolina, Special Teams Coordinator/Linebackers
  • 2015:
    Boston College, Special Teams Coordinator/Outside Linebackers
  • 2014:
    Florida, Special Teams Coordinator/Outside Linebackers
  • 2012-13:
    New Mexico, Special Teams Coordinator/Outside Linebackers
  • 2010-11:
    Florida, Special Teams Coordinator/Linebackers
  • 2008-09:
    Stanford, Defensive Assistant
  • 2007:
    Stanford, Recruiting Assistant
  • 2006:
    San Diego, Defensive Assistant

Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

DWarren

Oct 17, 2023
1. Was he at the Wallen concert?
2. Has he been talking down on Vegas because there's no Target or Cheesecake Factory?
No clue on the Wallen concert but I think too much was made out of his 2-3 day trip to Oxford back in February. He still has friends in Oxford and had recently hired Sowell who lived there. Some folks tried to turn that into something it wasnt by our people and I'm confident OM people made up the BS about him telling friends that he would rather be there, kissing tail to stay in good graces in case Lane leaves and their job opens. I don't buy any of it, would be incredibly stupid on his part.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019

So a rebuttal to your ignorance once again

1. Easy hire, maybe but when you been boring for the last 5 to 6 years let’s go get an offensive minded coach who would have been a HC here or somewhere else in the near future so why it take a chance.
2. Players coaches can be hard nosed as well. Lebby father was a successful HS coach in Texas and was that hard nosed guy. And those reports from OU while maybe validated vennabels isn’t a know hire either as he was a career assistant before being named HC at OU.
3. Niche offense. That’s hilarious. Again your ignorance. Lebby played OL at OU until he was hurt and couldn’t play. His coaching experience is that he worked with his father in law one Art Briles who invented this offense. Oh and did you know briles was the RB coach at Texas tech under Leach before going to Houston and then Baylor? So yes this offense has AR principals. He has been a successful OC at UCF, OM, and OU. I think his resume is pretty damn good.

I will give you the Hutzler hire, however let’s see how it plays out before throwing him under the bus

If you even remotely know anything about football then you would have known this

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
So a rebuttal to your ignorance once again

1. Easy hire, maybe but when you been boring for the last 5 to 6 years let’s go get an offensive minded coach who would have been a HC here or somewhere else in the near future so why it take a chance.
2. Players coaches can be hard nosed as well. Lebby father was a successful HS coach in Texas and was that hard nosed guy. And those reports from OU while maybe validated vennabels isn’t a know hire either as he was a career assistant before being named HC at OU.
3. Niche offense. That’s hilarious. Again your ignorance. Lebby played OL at OU until he was hurt and couldn’t play. His coaching experience is that he worked with his father in law one Art Briles who invented this offense. Oh and did you know briles was the RB coach at Texas tech under Leach before going to Houston and then Baylor? So yes this offense has AR principals. He has been a successful OC at UCF, OM, and OU. I think his resume is pretty damn good.

I will give you the Hutzler hire, however let’s see how it plays out before throwing him under the bus

If you even remotely know anything about football then you would have known this
I think I will wait a few games before I make my decision on whether he's a good fit or not. It's OK to wonder right now but it's kind of simple mindedness to make up your mind already about this hire until you see something on the field a few times.

Honestly, the odds are not his favorite, but I hope he pulls it off. I'm tired of waiting.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008

One of the points Cole and Greg McElroy have made is Mississippi State has always been able to field a decent defense. As long as the scheme isn't atrocious I think Hutzler will be okay. Even as bad as Matt Brock was last season, we still had defense that #40 in total defense and 66th in scoring defense. If we get that next year to go along with Lebby's offense, we're 7-9 win team.

If Hutzler pulls a Sermon, he'll be gone and Lebby will have the benefit of a years worth of tape to show DC candidates what the offense can do. Remember, we fired Sermon and had the #1 defense in college football two seasons later.

The defense will be a problem, but I don't believe it will be a long term problem like it was at Ole Miss or USC or WSU under Leach.

patdog

May 28, 2007
One of the points Cole and Greg McElroy have made is Mississippi State has always been able to field a decent defense. As long as the scheme isn't atrocious I think Hutzler will be okay. Even as bad as Matt Brock was last season, we still had defense that #40 in total defense and 66th in scoring defense. If we get that next year to go along with Lebby's offense, we're 7-9 win team.

If Hutzler pulls a Sermon, he'll be gone and Lebby will have the benefit of a years worth of tape to show DC candidates what the offense can do. Remember, we fired Sermon and had the #1 defense in college football two seasons later.

The defense will be a problem, but I don't believe it will be a long term problem like it was at Ole Miss or USC or WSU under Leach.
That’s a very weak argument. We’ve usually (not always) had a good defense because we’ve generally hired good defensive coaches & recruited good defensive players. As soon a we quit doing that, we’ll start fielding bad defenses. I’m not sold on a coordinator who’s only coached a full position group for one year in his career.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That’s a very weak argument. We’ve usually (not always) had a good defense because we’ve generally hired good defensive coaches & recruited good defensive players. As soon a we quit doing that, we’ll start fielding bad defenses. I’m not sold on a coordinator who’s only coached a full position group for one year in his career.
I was about to respond the same way to this. We do produce a lot of good defensive talent in MS, but we still have to keep the coaching semi-competent. Carl Torbush anyone? And of course Sirmon, as @travis.sixpack pointed out. It can get bad in a hurry.

I'm not real sold on this Cubelic guy, or even McElroy. Talking heads are generally wrong about MSU.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Nobody knows, not even my dad, how this will work out. It is like another poster said if he wins this will be held up there as a great hire of an offensive guru, if he does not win then it will be thought of as a garbage fire regardless of how energetic and young Lebby might be.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
The jury is out on how good of a DC Hutzler is, but State has always been able to recruit defensive talent. Do you think that's going to suddenly stop with the transfer portal?

patdog

May 28, 2007
The jury is out on how good of a DC Hutzler is, but State has always been able to recruit defensive talent. Do you think that's going to suddenly stop with the transfer portal?
Depends on who's doing the recruiting. We've always recruited elite DL players. Except now, all the top defensive linemen in Mississippi are going to Oxford, not Starkville.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Aww, buddy. That whole staff has been gone for months. Either let it go or point out on the doll where he hurt you.
I'm still mad it was allowed to happen. It wasn't quite as bad of a disappointment as the 2018 team, but it's in the neighborhood. You shouldn't let cycled up talent years like that go by if you are Mississippi State.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I watched highlights of the spring game. Parson if we can keep him out of the portal, he could end up being good.

Reactions: bamabully