For those still upset about Vic leaving...

May 23, 2022
in four seasons, he's only had one player drafted in the WNBA, Charli Collier, in 2021, and she wasn't really his recruit.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Who cares about the freaking WNBA?

The guy may have been the best coach (relative to his sport) ever to be employed by Mississippi State. Back to back national championship games and one of the biggest victories in the sport's history.

Cohen should have been fired for how that was handled.

ETA: He had the best freshman player in the nation, who will likely be the No. 1 overall WNBA draft pick in her class, and she happens to be from Madison, Mississippi.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
It's women's basketball. I don't care about WNBA draft picks. I really don't care about NBA draft picks either.

Mississippi State since Schaefer left
View attachment 560153

Texas since Schaefer arrived
View attachment 560151
Yeah we went from Top 10 program to perennial bubble team immediately when he left so I don’t know why anyone would insinuate we are better off now.

patdog

May 28, 2007
What should Cohen have done differently?
If the rumors are true, Cohen did what had to be done. Swap gender of the assistant coach and it would have been a potentially very bad situation for us if it had even been made public.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Told Nellie that he was the athletic director, not her.
That's a cute answer, but really, how did it go down and in what way do you disagree with the choices made?

I think Vic was maybe the best coach we've ever had in any sport and I'm no Cohen fan, but if the rumors are to be believed, I think Cohen probably did the right thing.

Now, that being said, all I have is message board and social media rumor and innuendo, so if you've got the real story, please educate me and tell me where it was mismanaged.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Women's basketball players are lesbians. More news at 11.

But I'm not even talking about that.

I'm just saying it could have been handled better than it was. Nellie was running around Starkville bashing Vic for years because of his "Praise the Lord, Go Dawgs" and how he built that team into a Starkville community favorite instead of stroking the egos of the boosters.

He cared more about the family of 4 that came to every game and took pictures with Blair than the booster that didnt give a **** until Morgan William hit that shot. That's how he put 10k-plus in the Hump for women's basketball on the regular, but it didn't stroke the ego of Nellie and her activist kid.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
If the rumors are true, Cohen did what had to be done. Swap gender of the assistant coach and it would have been a potentially very bad situation for us if it had even been made public.
What if Cohen started the rumors? Do you think Texas would have hired Vic and the assistant if the rumors were true? If I am not mistaken, the real reason Vic left is because him and Cohen disagreed on how much $$ WBB was getting compared to baseball.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anon1664516582

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
WNBA. I hadn't really heard much of anything about it for years till ole what's her name was caught w/ a CBD vape cartridge in Russia, you know, breaking the law. Haven't heard much about it since either come to think about it. I doubt it would exist if it wasn't supported by the NBA's $15million a year subsidy and their 50% ownership.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
WNBA. I hadn't really heard much of anything about it for years till ole what's her his name was caught w/ a CBD vape cartridge in Russia, you know, breaking the law. Haven't heard much about it since either come to think about it. I doubt it would exist if it wasn't supported by the NBA's $15million a year subsidy and their 50% ownership.
FIFY**

Just a joke people.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Women's basketball players are lesbians. More news at 11.

But I'm not even talking about that.

I'm just saying it could have been handled better than it was. Nellie was running around Starkville bashing Vic for years because of his "Praise the Lord, Go Dawgs" and how he built that team into a Starkville community favorite instead of stroking the egos of the boosters.

He cared more about the family of 4 that came to every game and took pictures with Blair than the booster that didnt give a **** until Morgan William hit that shot. That's how he put 10k-plus in the Hump for women's basketball on the regular, but it didn't stroke the ego of Nellie and her activist kid.
If you want to bash Cohen, you need to find a more sturdy hill to die on. Trying to convince MSU fans that losing a women's coach to Texas (his home state) is some action worthy of losing a job is laughable. No one cares.

I would choose fund-raising if I were you. Just trying to keep you from looking like an idiot.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
There is plenty to bash Cohen about. This thread was about Vic Schafer specifically.

Nov 25, 2019
Who cares about the freaking WNBA?

The guy may have been the best coach (relative to his sport) ever to be employed by Mississippi State. Back to back national championship games and one of the biggest victories in the sport's history.

Cohen should have been fired for how that was handled.

ETA: He had the best freshman player in the nation, who will likely be the No. 1 overall WNBA draft pick in her class, and she happens to be from Madison, Mississippi.
agree. He was the best coach on campus when he was here.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
My question, where was Keenum in all this? He should have stepped in and told Cohen that Vic was hands off. It's not unusual for a coach to be more important than the AD. Although Vic was only the coach of our 4th program, he is likely the best coach we've had of the big 4. He was building a dynasty in Starkville that would have eventually rivaled USEe and UConn. Cohen was a below average AD, and should have been shown the door before Vic. I'd wager the Barn won't tolerate him meddling in any successful sports. The two most important duties of an AD, raise money and be the fall guy.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
My question, where was Keenum in all this? He should have stepped in and told Cohen that Vic was hands off. It's not unusual for a coach to be more important than the AD. Although Vic was only the coach of our 4th program, he is likely the best coach we've had of the big 4. He was building a dynasty in Starkville that would have eventually rivaled USEe and UConn. Cohen was a below average AD, and should have been shown the door before Vic. I'd wager the Barn won't tolerate him meddling in any successful sports. The two most important duties of an AD, raise money and be the fall guy.
First of all, the story is at minimum 80% bullshlt.

Secondly, Cohen was not a below average AD, he was above average. There is a lot more going on than fund-raising - you have to hire and fire, implement plans, and actually manage the money. And you can hire out the parts you aren't good at.

Third, different athletic departments can be in different spots. I think our people wanted to do what we've always done, which is trying to go head to head with the big boys when it comes to NIL, and Cohen knew that wasn't going to work. That disagreement led to him going to Auburn. And maybe they need him more than we do, because they need to get their boosters in line.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Secondly, Cohen was not a below average AD, he was above average.

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
It was a grad assistant and they played together and had this going on the whole time. It was silly and could've been worked out.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
It was a grad assistant and they played together and had this going on the whole time. It was silly and could've been worked out.
That's not what her job title read. Ketara Chapel's did, but not Blair's.

1713463325838.png

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
That's not what her job title read. Ketara Chapel's did, but not Blair's.

View attachment 560359
She assists with various day-to-day operations of the program off the court, including coordinating community service events for the team and acting as a liaison with academics and housing.

Wasn't even a coach.....it was a ridiculously poorly handled situation that could've been worked out. Cohen was garbage from day one.

Reactions: Anon1664516582

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
His prepping us for the NIL environment was certainly top shelf. Coming off the Natty we should have at least had baseball coffers overflowing. His incompetence/lack of attention has set us back years.
Fake news. This is just another way of saying he didn't kiss alumni's ***.

Amazing to me how you sheep just grab ahold of a hivemind viewpoint and run with it as fact.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Fake news. This is just another way of saying he didn't kiss alumni's ***.

Amazing to me how you sheep just grab ahold of a hivemind viewpoint and run with it as fact.
Please enlighten us on what exactly this guy accomplished, other than his contributions as a baseball recruiter/program builder from when he was a coach.