FSU vs ACC

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
So you predict that those schools will go through all this just to sell themselves at a significant discount, huh? I'll take note of it.
Where’s the discount?? The B12 currently has a better media package. AND their media deal is up for negotiation before the ACC and SEC. Now sprinkle in some of the top ACC schools and you’ve got yourself and attractive conference.

Reactions: GCJerryUSC

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
Legally speaking….no one other than an FSU fan gives a rats a$$ about FSU football and their one good year recently. They don’t move the national needle.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Where’s the discount?? The B12 currently has a better media package. AND their media deal is up for negotiation before the ACC and SEC. Now sprinkle in some of the top ACC schools and you’ve got yourself and attractive conference.

...than the ACC. The discount is in the long-term. The Big 12 is not going to overtake the Power Two, I don't give a crap who they add among those available, unless it's Notre Dame, and that would be only a maybe.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
...than the ACC. The discount is in the long-term. The Big 12 is not going to overtake the Power Two, I don't give a crap who they add among those available, unless it's Notre Dame, and that would be only a maybe.
Sure they won’t overtake them, just like they haven’t in the last 20 years. But they also have to get invited to those groups, which is far from certain. B12 may be their only play.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
FSU is likely going to lose all voting rights. So it won't just be business as usual if their exit doesn't work.

I'm beginning to think the ACC needs to go all out on this one. The ACC needs FSU from a TV standpoint. They go, and ESPN damn sure isn't going to exercise that option. Then it's open season. I think the only choice they have is to fight.
Especially if Miami and UNC soon follow FSU out the door. IMO FSU is simply playing front man in all this,

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Especially if Miami and UNC soon follow FSU out the door. IMO FSU is simply playing front man in all this,
You would think there would be strength in numbers. So others might join in the suit. Maybe others aren’t as convinced of their case?

I saw a graph that showed each teams number of games with X million viewers (don’t remember that number, maybe 3?). FSU was first. Clem second. The drop off from those two to the rest was eye popping. All it would take is to lose one of those two and ESPN ain’t taking that option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cackmandu

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
You would think there would be strength in numbers. So others might join in the suit. Maybe others aren’t as convinced of their case?

I saw a graph that showed each teams number of games with X million viewers (don’t remember that number, maybe 3?). FSU was first. Clem second. The drop off from those two to the rest was eye popping. All it would take is to lose one of those two and ESPN ain’t taking that option.
True. But I would guess there are only a few that have a guaranteed landing spot.....for the remainder it is a big unknown. What you know it better than what you don't.

Greer

Jan 2, 2024

I seem to recall that getting this into the Florida court system had advantages to FSU that would be lost if it was tried in NC or other states and this is the explanation for why FSU is the front man for this effort and others are supporting them behind closed doors.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Legally speaking….no one other than an FSU fan gives a rats a$$ about FSU football and their one good year recently. They don’t move the national needle.
Ill Allow It Spanish GIF

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Some people are even raving about an earlier denouement than many people imagine. I'm not agreeing with this, but it does demonstrate that what many considered impossible is no longer so farfetched.
The headline is misleading. He didn’t say anything about leaving before the start of next season. The only thing he mentioned was the ESPN “lever” that could topple the ACC…the 2027 option. And he’s right. If they opt out, it’s over.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
The headline is misleading. He didn’t say anything about leaving before the start of next season. The only thing he mentioned was the ESPN “lever” that could topple the ACC…the 2027 option. And he’s right. If they opt out, it’s over.
Agreed about the headline. He is, however, positing a short window for bedlam to break out. I'm going to bed now.

1vagamecock

Jan 19, 2022
Agreed about the headline. He is, however, positing a short window for bedlam to break out. I'm going to bed now.
Not sure what is worse. You staying up to 11:30 " pontificating " about the fate of FSU, or me getting up at 6am to read it all?

Reactions: Cackmandu

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Part of the problem is that FSU was very vocal at the time the GOR was signed, hailing it as a great deal. There was no trepidation on their part. Nobody could foresee how the market would absolutely explode. It happens. But you can't renege on your obligations because of it.

If I buy a car and then 6 months later the market craters and prices drop, I can't just return the car for a full refund simply because the market changed and I feel like I got a bad deal.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
We'll find out soon enough. There are arguments to be made. For example, we found out through this lawsuit that the ACC essentially has no TV agreement in place beyond 2027. ESPN has an OPTION to those years, but they have yet to exercise that option.

This is the much bigger revelation from the filings.

Legally, there really is no reason to invalidate the GOR. It just isn't there. However, I assume it will be invalidated b/c it's going to be next to impossible to get an unbiased judge in the Florida courts. ACC will absolutely appeal and this will go higher in the courts and likely would be overturned.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Part of the problem is that FSU was very vocal at the time the GOR was signed, hailing it as a great deal. There was no trepidation on their part. Nobody could foresee how the market would absolutely explode. It happens. But you can't renege on your obligations because of it.

If I buy a car and then 6 months later the market craters and prices drop, I can't just return the car for a full refund simply because the market changed and I feel like I got a bad deal.
You can if you were sold a lemon...which is what FSU is trying to prove.

Reactions: Lurker123

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
This is the much bigger revelation from the filings.

Legally, there really is no reason to invalidate the GOR. It just isn't there. However, I assume it will be invalidated b/c it's going to be next to impossible to get an unbiased judge in the Florida courts. ACC will absolutely appeal and this will go higher in the courts and likely would be overturned.
Agree with point one. In some ways, I kind of think this is an exercise by FSU to get ESPN to not take that option. If ESPN does, and FSU bolts, ESPN is holding the bag and would have to try to take legal action to get out of that deal. That's a much easier exit for anyone wanting out.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
haha, well, lemon laws don't have anything to do with market prices. FSU's only real gripe is that the market changed after they signed their deal.
Their main legal gripe is that they were sold a bill of goods, not that the market changed. Although we all know that's why it's happening.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Agree with point one. In some ways, I kind of think this is an exercise by FSU to get ESPN to not take that option. If ESPN does, and FSU bolts, ESPN is holding the bag and would have to try to take legal action to get out of that deal. That's a much easier exit for anyone wanting out.

ACC and ESPN could obviously just renegotiate the GOR. If they don't and the ACC blows up, ESPN ends up losing several valuable assets to the Big 10 and their tv competitors. I suppose they are willing to let that happen.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Their main legal gripe is that they were sold a bill of goods, not that the market changed. Although we all know that's why it's happening.

I can't see any way in which the ACC was deceptive. I mean, you had lawyers from 15 schools, including UVA, Duke and UNC with top-flight law schools, combing through this deal before they all eagerly signed on. Now they want to claim they were duped? It simply doesn't pass the sniff test.

Reactions: atl-cock

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
I can't see any way in which the ACC was deceptive. I mean, you had lawyers from 15 schools, including UVA, Duke and UNC with top-flight law schools, combing through this deal before they all eagerly signed on. Now they want to claim they were duped? It simply doesn't pass the sniff test.
If you were to read the official legal filing, you will see that the ACC was indeed deceptive and non transparent in many ways

Mar 24, 2022
ACC and ESPN could obviously just renegotiate the GOR. If they don't and the ACC blows up, ESPN ends up losing several valuable assets to the Big 10 and their tv competitors. I suppose they are willing to let that happen.
It would seem likely that if the Big10 and SEC have some type of working alliance then Fox and ESPN are being included maybe not officially but you know there is communication going on.I would bet that the Doomsday scenario is being discussed where the two conferences(networks)end up splitting away and taking the top 40-60 programs with them.The trigger for all would come from ESPN.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
If you were to read the official legal filing, you will see that the ACC was indeed deceptive and non transparent in many ways

I have. Just don't see it.

FSU simply has buyer's remorse.

Even if the ACC did misrepresent revenue projections, you're not dealing with everyday rubes here. You're talking about schools like Duke, UNC and UVA. Surely the schools had their own people looking at revenue projections as well. What moron would simply take the ACC's word for it? There's not one of the 15 schools who would sign onto such a massive deal without doing their own due diligence on revenue projections. Just doesn't pass the sniff test.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
ESPN is not a party to the GOR....only the member schools are.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
That is why FSUs lawyers are requesting emails, memorandums, other documentation.....it is called discovery. And that is where most cases are proved/disproved.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
That is why FSUs lawyers are requesting emails, memorandums, other documentation.....it is called discovery. And that is where most cases are proved/disproved.

Even so, is it reasonable to think that none of these 15 member schools did their own due diligence up front? Did they blindly sign onto this deal taking the ACC at their word regarding media rights? That simply does not even seem feasible to me. Those schools have LOTS of smart lawyers.

I'm simply thinking in the context of deals I've done,, which pale in comparison to the magnitude of this deal. You never take what the other party is telling you at face value. Actually, you assume they are trying to deceive you. You do your own research.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
I have. Just don't see it.

FSU simply has buyer's remorse.

Even if the ACC did misrepresent revenue projections, you're not dealing with everyday rubes here. You're talking about schools like Duke, UNC and UVA. Surely the schools had their own people looking at revenue projections as well. What moron would simply take the ACC's word for it? There's not one of the 15 schools who would sign onto such a massive deal without doing their own due diligence on revenue projections. Just doesn't pass the sniff test.
Allegedly the hiding of the facts and deal surrounging the teams second and third tier rights was very suspect and sold for a discount. That is a pretty material item to not be transparent about.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Allegedly the hiding of the facts and deal surrounging the teams second and third tier rights was very suspect and sold for a discount. That is a pretty material item to not be transparent about.

I simply cannot believe that lawyers from 15 different schools were fully duped.

Latest posts