Good win but I hope…

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Well the M-Braves are gone after this year so who knows what the future holds for us playing in Pearl.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Just back from the game. The Trustmark scoreboard (only one in the whole stadium) is ridiculous. It gives only the most basic information. No pitcher stats, no hitter in game stats, not even the name of the pitcher. Baseball is a game of analytics and there was only bare minimum. I've seen better high school scoreboards. MGM in Biloxi is definitely a step up from Trustmark.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
APPARENTLY as part of the new team, it's finally getting a little upgrade of facilities.

I would go watch a single A team that had a few college baseball players from Mississippi.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
Well the M-Braves are gone after this year so who knows what the future holds for us playing in Pearl.
I mentioned it before, but I don’t know how Trustmark could ever host another highly attended baseball game without the M-Braves employees there. Maybe there are event companies that know how to staff an entire stadium for just 2 or 3 games but that seems difficult. Even the experienced M-Braves employees struggle when the crowd is large.

Reactions: ll Martain ll

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
APPARENTLY as part of the new team, it's finally getting a little upgrade of facilities.

I would go watch a single A team that had a few college baseball players from Mississippi.
What new team? I have not heard of anything except maybe Belhaven playing there.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Isn't minor league attendance (like college sports attendance) on the decrease everywhere? I don't know if an independent league team would move the needle, but obviously the Savanah Bananas have found the sweet spot.

Even a team made of primarily State/OM/USM players may not move the needle, the atmosphere of the "on campus" stadiums is on of the main draw.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
i keep going back every year, and every year i swear im never going back....it is awful....the scoreboard with no stats, no nothing....the lines long as hell are the back breaker.....they should move this game for sure....or get a new management company to host it

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
i keep going back every year, and every year i swear im never going back....it is awful....the scoreboard with no stats, no nothing....the lines long as hell are the back breaker.....they should move this game for sure....or get a new management company to host it
Was the crowd as bad as it looked on TV?

Reactions: knock him out john

patdog

May 28, 2007
Friend bought tickets a couple of days ago and said there were plenty of seats still available. In years past, that game would have been a hard sellout months ago. Also, I probably had more friends at the REO Speedwagon / .38 Special concert last night than the baseball game, judging by my Facebook feed.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
That was our last game at Trustmark Park for a while. From ticket prices to concessions (quality and lines), I just as soon play the Gov Cup on campus or Biloxi.

The ticket prices are absolutely insane for mid-week baseball. I'm not sure who puts this game on now. Used to be Spectrum Events. The ticket prices were high last year, but people still went. Looks like they thought better of it this year.

When I was a kid my dad took us every year to the game at Smith Wills. And he was a cheapskate.

I'd love to do the same and take my family, but I'm just not going to shell out $400+ to do it.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I think the answer is moving it to Biloxi and making it a weekend series with us, Ole Miss, Southern Miss, and Jackson State. Everyone gets three games. I would travel down for it.
Good idea but it would have to be very early in the season prior to conference play

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
Good idea but it would have to be very early in the season prior to conference play.
That's what I am thinking. Maybe the first two weekends or the week of spring break if it falls before the start on conference.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Good idea but it would have to be very early in the season prior to conference play
I'd like to play an early weekend tournament/round robin type set up in Biloxi and also do the governors cup on a Wednesday night game in Jackson. Sucks that we get screwed on RPI if we play Memphis in Redbirds stadium because I think that'd be a good set up also. May not be a huge deal, but I think the more chances we give fans the opportunity to see us play live without having to travel and get hotels, the better. Never know who might get hooked as a fan on a live game and what that might turn into later as far as a potential recruit or as a booster.

Reactions: patdog

WGWFA

Oct 12, 2021
I think the answer is moving it to Biloxi and making it a weekend series with us, Ole Miss, Southern Miss, and Jackson State. Everyone gets three games. I would travel down for it.
Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!!!

WGWFA

Oct 12, 2021
The ticket prices are absolutely insane for mid-week baseball. I'm not sure who puts this game on now. Used to be Spectrum Events. The ticket prices were high last year, but people still went. Looks like they thought better of it this year.

When I was a kid my dad took us every year to the game at Smith Wills. And he was a cheapskate.

I'd love to do the same and take my family, but I'm just not going to shell out $400+ to do it.
I’d pay $60 for a ticket to see the game at Dudy Noble but not here in Pearl especially when the game is on tv & the game doesn’t technically go on the season record.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
MSU Vs Ole Miss at Autozone Park in Memphis would be a big crowd.
MSU vs Ole Miss in Pearl would be a big crowd and always has been until they started charging $60-$80 plus fees for a chair back and $40 plus fees for berm seating.

Moving the game might get an initial bump in attendance with those prices, but after a year or two the crowds would be similar.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'd like to play an early weekend tournament/round robin type set up in Biloxi and also do the governors cup on a Wednesday night game in Jackson. Sucks that we get screwed on RPI if we play Memphis in Redbirds stadium because I think that'd be a good set up also. May not be a huge deal, but I think the more chances we give fans the opportunity to see us play live without having to travel and get hotels, the better. Never know who might get hooked as a fan on a live game and what that might turn into later as far as a potential recruit or as a booster.
If it comes to RPI vs. doing what's best for the fans/state, I suggest the latter, every time. A weekend tournament in Biloxi would be great, no matter who we play. I don't know why we couldn't make it a big thing that could attract big names.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Friend bought tickets a couple of days ago and said there were plenty of seats still available. In years past, that game would have been a hard sellout months ago. Also, I probably had more friends at the REO Speedwagon / .38 Special concert last night than the baseball game, judging by my Facebook feed.
We were at the concert. Large crowd, but nowhere near a sellout. Lots of old folks including me!

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
If it comes to RPI vs. doing what's best for the fans/state, I suggest the latter, every time. A weekend tournament in Biloxi would be great, no matter who we play. I don't know why we couldn't make it a big thing that could attract big names.
A weekend tournament in biloxi would presumably help our RPI, because at worst we'd be playing the same type of teams we'd play early season at the Dude but at "neutral" site rather than home. I just mentioned RPI for Memphis because it sucks to play in Memphis but it be treated as a neutral site rather than an away game. If we moved some poorly attended early season weekday games to Starkville High's field, that shouldn't count as a neutral site game.

I get that it would be a line-drawing exercise at some point (e.g., is us playing a southeast Louisiana team in Biloxi really neutral), but seems like you could have a hard and fast rule that works along the line of "if you play within 15 miles of another schools stadium and you are traveling at least 100 miles, that is an away game, not a neutral game" and that would be an improvement over the status quo.

But yea, for the fans sake, I'd love to play either a football, men's basketball, or baseball game in Memphis, Jackson, Birmingham, the Coast, and maybe even Houston and Mobile every year. I feel like we have enough alumni in all those places that it could be worth giving them an easy opportunity to watch a game and hopefully bring their kids.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'd vote for RPI. If not playing a game or games is the difference between us hosting or being a number two seed on the road, I'm all for canceling/not scheduling games.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
A weekend tournament in biloxi would presumably help our RPI, because at worst we'd be playing the same type of teams we'd play early season at the Dude but at "neutral" site rather than home. I just mentioned RPI for Memphis because it sucks to play in Memphis but it be treated as a neutral site rather than an away game. If we moved some poorly attended early season weekday games to Starkville High's field, that shouldn't count as a neutral site game.

I get that it would be a line-drawing exercise at some point (e.g., is us playing a southeast Louisiana team in Biloxi really neutral), but seems like you could have a hard and fast rule that works along the line of "if you play within 15 miles of another schools stadium and you are traveling at least 100 miles, that is an away game, not a neutral game" and that would be an improvement over the status quo.

But yea, for the fans sake, I'd love to play either a football, men's basketball, or baseball game in Memphis, Jackson, Birmingham, the Coast, and maybe even Houston and Mobile every year. I feel like we have enough alumni in all those places that it could be worth giving them an easy opportunity to watch a game and hopefully bring their kids.
Well I was more talking about playing there instead of the typical road series, so there would be an RPI hit. I don't think we should take any games away from DNF that we typically play there.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'd vote for RPI. If not playing a game or games is the difference between us hosting or being a number two seed on the road, I'm all for canceling/not scheduling games.
Well if you're going to do that and truly move the needle, we need to go on the road for at least half the early OOC series. In addition, need to go on the road in the midweek probably half the time. And no more cupcakes at all, so basically, no more PT opportunities for a lot of players.

We didn't build that stadium to go play ball elsewhere. Obviously I realize you want to host regionals and super regionals too, but I don't know that the RPI difference really moves the needle that much. Just win the games and help the fans get there.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Well if you're going to do that and truly move the needle, we need to go on the road for at least half the early OOC series. In addition, need to go on the road in the midweek probably half the time. And no more cupcakes at all, so basically, no more PT opportunities for a lot of players.

We didn't build that stadium to go play ball elsewhere. Obviously I realize you want to host regionals and super regionals too, but I don't know that the RPI difference really moves the needle that much. Just win the games and help the fans get there.
That wasn't the essence of your post at all.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

Nope. Just 1 time will suffice. And its something that im sure the players would enjoy or heck may be beneficial for them. Some of them have never been out west maybe. Some may never get a chance to play in an MLB setting.

1 weekend of that. Remove the swac schools. Needle gets moved a great deal.

Trading off 1 weekend in Feb/march where its cold and the weather is miserable, to send our kids some place they may never get to gone if it werent for baseball.... in return, we get a better RPI and we get to host games in June when the weather is good and the games matter.... SIGN! ME! UP!

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Well I was more talking about playing there instead of the typical road series, so there would be an RPI hit. I don't think we should take any games away from DNF that we typically play there.
That's probably a good argument for not doing a weekend tournament type play in Biloxi. But we already played two games in Biloxi, so we wouldn't really gain a lot by that except for maybe getting better competition. But I think the weekday games are lightly attended enough that if we traded out two more weekday games to play at say the Redbirds and the Barrons (is that still their name?), you're losing less for the fans. Granted neither Memphis nor Birmingham are that far from MSU, so you might not get the interest that you get in Biloxi, but I would think you'd still have no problem filling up the stadium if you don't price people out

basedawg

Aug 22, 2012
I remember going to New Orleans and MSU, Ole Dixie, USM would play LSU, UNO and Tulane at the Dome. Fun times, I would love to see Mississippi teams play La and Ala teams say in Biloxi again.

Dec 14, 2008
I remember going to New Orleans and MSU, Ole Dixie, USM would play LSU, UNO and Tulane at the Dome. Fun times, I would love to see Mississippi teams play La and Ala teams say in Biloxi again.
Went to this a couple of times as a kid. Winn Dixie Classic, I believe. Really fun.

Reactions: basedawg

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
it wasn't as packed as I thought it would be....but definitely more attendance than the Southern Miss game at Trustmark Park earlier in the season.....im guessing the lack of folks were the UM side....there were more MSU fans for sure