Greg Sankey shares thoughts on restructuring SEC schedule, conference games

Sweetwatergolf

Jan 20, 2022
He can start with making Georgia and Florida play at each other’s stadiums. This neutral field game in Jacksonville is no way fair for the rest of us in the East. Why Tanner and other schools aren’t up in arms about this is beyond me. Maybe we should have our own neutral site conference game.
You can bet it would be in Charlotte, our new home away from home.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Poor title. The word "Football" is missing from it.

I have no problems with Georgia & Florida playing every year in Jax. I don't see what's unfair. It's a wash. They've been doing it for about 80 years. If the league had an issue with it, it should have been addressed decades ago. If Ole Miss and Ole Miss State want to meet each year in Jackson, wonderful. Auburn and Bama met in Birmingham from the time the series was revived until the 1990s. There is nothing for the SEC to be up in arms about. The ADs would be better off using this energy to try to get baseball scholarships increased well beyond 11.7.

Now the one good thing the SEC finally did regarding football scheduling was to require members to play all other members on the gridiron on a rotating basis. Wasn't always like that, which was how, during Georgia Tech's 30 years in the conference, the Jackets and Mississippi State did not meet at all on the gridiron. And Bama and Auburn didn't play each other under the SEC's auspecies until after WWII.

Georgia Tech and Auburn met annually, and continued meeting annually for about 25 years after Tech left the SEC. Up until 1960, they played in Atlanta every. single. year. From 1960-1969, they alternated between Birmingham and Atlanta. The Jackets visited the Plains for the first time in 1970.

Maybe the ACC should have had a problem with us hosting Clemron every year - at least during the first 6 years of the league's existence.

Agreed with Bwellgolf that Charlotte would be our go to neutral site location.

Last edited:

Atlanta Cock

Jan 18, 2022
Football is the sport that matters. It’s the most popular by far, and without it nothing else exists.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
He can start with making Georgia and Florida play at each other’s stadiums. This neutral field game in Jacksonville is no way fair for the rest of us in the East. Why Tanner and other schools aren’t up in arms about this is beyond me. Maybe we should have our own neutral site conference game.
That ain't gonna happen unless one or both schools want it to happen - just as Texas/Oklahoma ain't leavin' the Texas State Fair unless one of those schools wants it.

Reactions: MrCockStrong

Legendary Cock

Joined Aug 6, 2014
Jan 22, 2022
That ain't gonna happen unless one or both schools want it to happen - just as Texas/Oklahoma ain't leavin' the Texas State Fair unless one of those schools wants it.
I thought I remember Richt hating it? I believe he would always say it benefited Florida because Georgia had to take a plan ride while Florida took a bus ride.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Football is the sport that matters. It’s the most popular by far, and without it nothing else exists.
Football is the sport that matters to many.

Many schools do not sponsor football, yet have a robust varsity athletic program.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
When the thread began, I thought of Texas / Oklahoma, but that rivalry predates the creation of the Big XII, when Texas was in the Southwest Conference, and Oklahoma in the Big 8.

Last edited:

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I thought I remember Richt hating it? I believe he would always say it benefited Florida because Georgia had to take a plan ride while Florida took a bus ride.
It's possible to ride a bus from Athens to Jacksonville,.....

Jacksonville is closer to most locations in South Georgia than is Athens.

They did have an actual home-and-home in the early '90s for a couple of years while the stadium in Jax was being rehabbed.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Well, the each get half the tickets, so... It's tradition. It's not likely to go away anytime soon.
I remember reading about an uneven distribution of tickets several years ago benefitting UF, and UGA threatened to pull out of Jax unless it was corrected. That they're still playing on the First Coast tells me that corrections were made.

RileyCock

Joined Jan 4, 2020
Feb 1, 2022
When the thread began, I thought of Texas / Oklahoma, but that rivalry predates the creation of the Big XII, when Texas was in the Southwest Conference, and Oklahoma in the Big 8.
Arkansas and Texas A&M also play a neutral site game each year

Reactions: atl-cock

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Arkansas and Texas A&M also play a neutral site game each year
Right. Isn't it in Arlington, TX?

These neutral site games tend to be high profile, giving the competitors and the SEC added publicity. You lose a home game, you lose a road game. It all evens out in the end.

Reactions: RileyCock

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
I remember reading about an uneven distribution of tickets several years ago benefitting UF, and UGA threatened to pull out of Jax unless it was corrected. That they're still playing on the First Coast tells me that corrections were made.
It proves that somebody wanted it to continue sufficiently for concessions to be made..

Reactions: atl-cock

Legendary Cock

Joined Aug 6, 2014
Jan 22, 2022
It's possible to ride a bus from Athens to Jacksonville,.....

Jacksonville is closer to most locations in South Georgia than is Athens.

They did have an actual home-and-home in the early '90s for a couple of years while the stadium in Jax was being rehabbed.
I was just using Richt's words. Honestly, I don't really feel one way or the other about it.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Do you not have the ability to understand my point?
Do you have the ability to be respectful of others?

There are plenty of schools with robust athletic programs who do not sponsor football. They exist, and they do well. So what if they aren't P5 schools.

I am merely disproving you assertion that football is the be-all and end-all of collegiate sports. And P5 is not the be-all and end-all of collegiate sports.

Last edited:

BattleshipTexas

Jan 23, 2022
There are plenty of schools with robust athletic programs who do not sponsor football. They exist, and they do well. So what if they aren't P5 schools.
But they aren't very well known. They exist, but mostly in obscurity vis-a-vis athletics.

Atlanta Cock

Jan 18, 2022
Do you have the ability to be respectful of others?

I am merely disproving you assertion that football is the be-all and end-all of collegiate sports. And P5 is not the be-all and end-all of collegiate sports.
My point was that football is the sport that matters, both in popularity and financial support. You disagreed. I replied by stating it is true at P5 schools.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
My point was that football is the sport that matters, both in popularity and financial support. You disagreed. I replied by stating it is true at P5 schools.
But you didn't state that initially. All you stated was "Football is the sport that matters. It’s the most popular by far, and without it nothing else exists."

Now had you initially stated that "At P5 schools football is the economic engine which drives just about everything else." I would agree with that.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
But you didn't state that initially. All you stated was "Football is the sport that matters. It’s the most popular by far, and without it nothing else exists."

Now had you initially stated that "At P5 schools football is the economic engine which drives just about everything else." I would agree with that.
Football is the sport that matters most at the majority of schools that play it. Not all, but most.

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
UnCarolina, Dook, and Kentucky are notable exceptions.
But their basketball monies doesn't even touch the football $$$$ of the SEC....I bet Vandy's Athletic Dept brings in more than UNC and Duke just with being associated with the SEC...Football is KING...I bet if all UNC fans were being honest, they'd trade all those basketball trophies for 1 National Championship in football!!!

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
But their basketball monies doesn't even touch the football $$$$ of the SEC....I bet Vandy's Athletic Dept brings in more than UNC and Duke just with being associated with the SEC...Football is KING...I bet if all UNC fans were being honest, they'd trade all those basketball trophies for 1 National Championship in football!!!
Nah - they're sufficiently enamored with hoops.

I would not trade our national titles in baseball for one in football. And I am being honest.

FireantD

Feb 1, 2022
Nah - they're sufficiently enamored with hoops.

I would not trade our national titles in baseball for one in football. And I am being honest.

I would. And I'm a big baseball fan. But I would trade both titles and the women's bball title for a NC in football. But only if it was within the last 20 years or so. Not one that happened in 1958 or something.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I would. And I'm a big baseball fan. But I would trade both titles and the women's bball title for a NC in football. But only if it was within the last 20 years or so. Not one that happened in 1958 or something.
We would definitely have gone bowling in 1957 & 1958 if there were more than about a half dozen such games.

Reactions: GCJerryUSC

Latest posts