Hines and DJ

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Absolute holes in the lineup with runners on base. They won’t see a fastball the entire postseason, and won’t be able to hit those sliders with a boat paddle

Reactions: Anon1665155225

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
It would probably take some pressure off them if they were move to 7 and 8th in the batting order. It's mental. That would loosen them up. They are trying too hard.

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
Learn how to throw the bat at the ball like HUGE did in the 9th instead of just 17ing swinging with all your might. Put hh in 9th. When he sucks… he is really bad.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
you beat me to it coming to post the same thing. move them down next to long in the lineup. Also speaking of long why in the hail do we have a 200 hitter in the lineup?

Larry and Husak should be in the three and four position

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Time to sacrifice a bucket of chicken!

major league baseball GIF
Deep Breath Smile GIF by Major League

major league kiss GIF

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Jordan has been smashing balls at people. Not sure why people have missed that. His struggles are with RISP but he's mashing it otherwise. Would have at least one HR if on a normal college field.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Jordan has been smashing balls at people. Not sure why people have missed that. His struggles are with RISP but he's mashing it otherwise. Would have at least one HR if on a normal college field.
"Smashing" or not, he's 4-24 in last 6 games w/ 2RBI's batting clean up. 3 of those hits were in 1 game against the worst staff in the conference. A 380' "smash" to the wall is just another AB if you don't end up on base or get an RBI w/ it. I don't know if he's putting pressure on himself, thinking about the draft, got girlfriend troubles or what but he's in bad need of some adjustments pronto

Reactions: Fishsqeezer

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
DJ has struggled to get RBIs in SEC play, but still has decent numbers. He did better at cleanup last year, so maybe dropping him to 4 or 5 puts less pressure on him.

Statistically, the glaring issue has been Hines,, he is down to a .233 BA with RISP in both overall and SEC play. In 2022 and 2023 he was at .320 w RISP and our leading run producer. Yes he beat Vandy single handedly, but in other games it’s been way below par for a 3-5 hole hitter. DJ still has a decent SEC BA w RISP at .294,, he just hasn’t been getting extra base hits in those situations.

Editing to add an odd stat for Hines,, in SEC play this year he has an equal number of singles and HRs, 12,, thats a sign of swinging for fence every time. He either has a big multi-XBH game, or goes 0-5,, it’s rarely in between. For comparison DJ has 23 singles and 5 HRs.

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
DJ has struggled to get RBIs in SEC play, but still has decent numbers. He did better at cleanup last year, so maybe dropping him to 4 or 5 puts less pressure on him.

Statistically, the glaring issue has been Hines,, he is down to a .233 BA with RISP in both overall and SEC play. In 2022 and 2023 he was at .320 w RISP and our leading run producer. Yes he beat Vandy single handedly, but in other games it’s been way below par for a 3-5 hole hitter. DJ still has a decent SEC BA w RISP at .294,, he just hasn’t been getting extra base hits in those situations.

Editing to add an odd stat for Hines,, in SEC play this year he has an equal number of singles and HRs, 12,, thats a sign of swinging for fence every time. He either has a big multi-XBH game, or goes 0-5,, it’s rarely in between. For comparison DJ has 23 singles and 5 HRs.
Hines has to lead the nation in ground outs to 1st and 2nd base by a large margin followed by fly outs to short RF

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Learn how to throw the bat at the ball like HUGE did in the 9th instead of just 17ing swinging with all your might. Put hh in 9th. When he sucks… he is really bad.
HRs is what they bring to the table. Same as Kellum Clark. Showcase players. May even make good pros, who knows. Hines and Clark were VERY similar, while DJ is a little more athletic.

At the end of the day, you can have a few of these, but spread them out.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

JonJuanQuixote

Jul 31, 2020
In Hinesight, Hine's draft stock is falling rapidly so he can come back one more year and figure it out for us.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

The problem is that neither Jordan nor Hines is smashing it very often. They're not even putting the ball in play a third of the time that they come to the plate, and DJ has been especially bad at getting anything done with guys on base with a grand total of 6 RBIs in the last 16 games. That 20:1 SO/HR ratio is ridiculous from a HR hitter, and let's face it... these guys aren't even close when they miss. Gautreau should have some serious questions to answer this summer about the struggles of both of these guys

Dating back to the Vandy series in late April...

Dakota Jordan
Games - 16
BA- .266 (16/60)
HR - 1
XBH - 5
RBI - 6
SO - 20

Hunter Hines
Games - 16
BA - .183 (11/60)
HR - 6
XBH - 9
RBI - 16
SO - 23

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Hines has to lead the nation in ground outs to 1st and 2nd base by a large margin followed by fly outs to short RF
31% of his AB's are strikeouts.
6% are homers
16% are laser singles through the shift
and 47% are chopped ground balls into the shift

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
"Smashing" or not, he's 4-24 in last 6 games w/ 2RBI's batting clean up. 3 of those hits were in 1 game against the worst staff in the conference. A 380' "smash" to the wall is just another AB if you don't end up on base or get an RBI w/ it. I don't know if he's putting pressure on himself, thinking about the draft, got girlfriend troubles or what but he's in bad need of some adjustments pronto
Except if he was struggling he wouldn't be hitting piss rockets at people, he'd be popping up, hitting weak crap, and striking out a ton. Hines is struggling, Jordan is hitting into bad luck and not using the whole field enough.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
The problem is that neither Jordan nor Hines is smashing it very often. They're not even putting the ball in play a third of the time that they come to the plate, and DJ has been especially bad at getting anything done with guys on base with a grand total of 6 RBIs in the last 16 games. That 20:1 SO/HR ratio is ridiculous from a HR hitter, and let's face it... these guys aren't even close when they miss. Gautreau should have some serious questions to answer this summer about the struggles of both of these guys

Dating back to the Vandy series in late April...

Dakota Jordan
Games - 16
BA- .266 (16/60)
HR - 1
XBH - 5
RBI - 6
SO - 20

Hunter Hines
Games - 16
BA - .183 (11/60)
HR - 6
XBH - 9
RBI - 16
SO - 23
Again, hitting the ball in baseball doesn't always equate to average. You can crush balls and get out, you can have a pop fly drop and get a hit. Hines hit a weak dribbler last night and it got the job done. I'm not saying it's all good, I'm just not worried much about DJ because of the solid contact. Hines is a different story.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Again, hitting the ball in baseball doesn't always equate to average. You can crush balls and get out, you can have a pop fly drop and get a hit. Hines hit a weak dribbler last night and it got the job done. I'm not saying it's all good, I'm just not worried much about DJ because of the solid contact. Hines is a different story.
What worries me about both of them is that we don't see any situational hitting type adjustments (like Hujsak with 2 strikes in the 9th last night) when they have runners on or in scoring position. DJ hits rockets right to guys when bases are empty, but can't even put the ball in play with bases loaded or RISP. Half of Hines AB's are chopped grounders to the right side, but when there's someone on second we can't even get one of those to move them to third (or score them from third) because he just doesn't put the ball in play enough. They K a lot, but they K at the most awful times...

They're going to make outs, we know this, but we need productive outs. When's the last time either of them hit a sac fly? They're also going to strike out, we know this (and if you listened to Schlossnagle last night, he talked about why K's are ok). You want your guys swinging vs. looking, you want them hunting their pitch, not flailing at the first pitch they see, etc. But DJ and Hines continue to make 100% unproductive outs when they have runners on.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
What worries me about both of them is that we don't see any situational hitting type adjustments (like Hujsak with 2 strikes in the 9th last night) when they have runners on or in scoring position. DJ hits rockets right to guys when bases are empty, but can't even put the ball in play with bases loaded or RISP. Half of Hines AB's are chopped grounders to the right side, but when there's someone on second we can't even get one of those to move them to third (or score them from third) because he just doesn't put the ball in play enough. They K a lot, but they K at the most awful times...

They're going to make outs, we know this, but we need productive outs. When's the last time either of them hit a sac fly? They're also going to strike out, we know this (and if you listened to Schlossnagle last night, he talked about why K's are ok). You want your guys swinging vs. looking, you want them hunting their pitch, not flailing at the first pitch they see, etc. But DJ and Hines continue to make 100% unproductive outs when they have runners on.
Agreed, and if you're not getting productive outs, at the absolute bare minimum... at least battle during your at bats. These guys can barely even foul a pitch off these days, and it's like their entire approach is to swing for the fences against anything coming their way and hope that the ball finds the barrel of their bat

Reactions: PhredPhantom

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
I've been watching since Jocko Potts hit the first HR at the Dude. I've never seen our all SEC players struggle to hit the ball the way Hines and Dakota are. I'm fine with the big swings when it is time to swing big. But when you have RISP (if you are a stud) you need to knock those runs in at least 60% of the time.

Reactions: PhredPhantom

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Yeah, all we needed was a single three different times from DJ and he swung like he was trying to hit it back to Starkville. Slow your **** down and keep your bat in the zone as long as possible. Don't even get me started with HH. That dude should be required to bunt down the 3rd base line every time he comes up with no runners on.

Reactions: Anon1664516582

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Jordan, when the chips are on the table has proven that he folds.

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
They might not be as likely to hit home runs, I’d rather have more hitters like Hujsak and Chance and fewer like Jordan and Hines. We’d win more games.

Reactions: Anon1664516582

DawgieDust

Nov 6, 2017
Hines might be hitting below Kohler and Larry now. Which is not where you want to be.. I like Chance, Hujsak, and Marshon at the plate in pressure situations. But maybe DJ and Hines will hit .400 during the Regionals and Supers. We can always hope.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Hines in particular has become very predictable at the plate. First pitch he's swinging, so now he gets a breaking ball first pitch and swings over it. He gets tight, so next pitch is usually a fastball that he looks at for a strike. He's now at 0-2 and has to protect the plate, so he never gets anything worth hitting, and strikes out or chops one to the infield.

Jordan has had the fewest strikes thrown to him in the SEC, and one of the highest strike out rates. I hope they were watching A&M's approach to the plate.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
In Hinesight, Hine's draft stock is falling rapidly so he can come back one more year and figure it out for us.
Agree that his draft stock has dropped faster than the Titanic; however, and this won't be popular, were I Lemonis, I would tell him his days in MSU maroon & white are done should he decide he wants to come back. He is a huge liability at the plate and only an average fielder at best. I would hope we could pull in a quality FB-man from the portal.