HS championship games

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
That's never going to happen. It's going to be kept in Jackson. Jackson State will lose that fight every time until something changes with the people in charge (Same people that give us a hard time). The site proposed near the downtown area was good proposal.
They need it on campus, and they should raise their own money to do it just like everyone else does.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
No, the best proposal was the one on JSU's campus. It's cheapest. It gives the hospital the room they want, and makes that area better. Jackson does not need a big football stadium. No bowl game is on the horizon, neither is any semi-pro soccer team or anything like that. Jackson isn't even a football town.

If an entertainment venue is ever contemplated in Jackson, it needs to be an arena. Concerts, basketball, etc. could be hosted there. Possibly NCAA basketball games. Jackson is a basketball town.
Nah, Jackson needs anything it can get. We all know they'll screw it, but anything positive, even for a short period is a plus. We all know Prime is going to leave and JSU will just be old JSU again.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Regardless of venue, I've got:

Starkville over Brandon
Picayune over West Point
Louisville over Mendenhall
Raleigh over Noxubee
Scott Cent over Charleston
Bay Springs over McEvans
Should be a couple close games and a couple blow outs

patdog

May 28, 2007
Regardless of venue, I've got:

Starkville over Brandon
Picayune over West Point
Louisville over Mendenhall
Raleigh over Noxubee
Scott Cent over Charleston
Bay Springs over McEvans
Should be a couple close games and a couple blow outs
I think Brandon over Starkville, but agree on the others. Bay Springs should be a blowout win. They could compete in 4A. Played West Jones close 3 years ago, Laurel close last year, and beat Laurel in a preseason game this year. And just destroyed Taylorsville last week.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Because it gives a totally unfair advantage to the south half in what's supposed to a neutral site game between the north and south champions. That's why USM was added to the rotation in the first place, people in the south bitched about MSU and UM being too far north. If they catered to the south, they better cater to the north. The playoffs are different because you earn your seed in them.

PS: I'm a 1A guy. I know all about that. We have had division games nearly that bad for years.
The first time ever Amory went to the state playoffs they had to a bus ride about three hours to Jackson. (the HWY 25 four-lane wasn't finished then.) I think they were playing Mendenhall which I think was less than an hour away from the Stadium. I guess the primary beef I had was that the northern schools had to make a long trip to Jackson while the southern schools (that weren't on the coast) just had to short drive to the game.

I know it's too small for it, but I always thought that they should have played at Kosciusko. It's pretty much at the center of the state isn't it?

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I think Brandon over Starkville, but agree on the others. Bay Springs should be a blowout win. They could compete in 4A. Played West Jones close 3 years ago, Laurel close last year, and beat Laurel in a preseason game this year. And just destroyed Taylorsville last week.
I said Brandon all year, but Starkville is going to light up that defense I think. Starkville is healthy now. They beat the best team in the state last week IMO.
I doubt 3A, 2A, or 1A are very close. The others should be good games.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Playing Starkville, West Point, Noxubee, and Louisville this time of year is a chore. You may beat them, but you will have earned it.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
USM is only one of the 4 stadiums (UM, MSU, JSU, USM) that has artificial turf. I have been told that is a plus when hosting 6 games over 2 days, especially when weather can be dicey

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
USM is only one of the 4 stadiums (UM, MSU, JSU, USM) that has artificial turf. I have been told that is a plus when hosting 6 games over 2 days, especially when weather can be dicey
I guess after they let Nugget starve they probably wouldn’t spend any money on fertilizer either. Probably best they have artificial turf.