I was in my late 60s when I started posting on Gamecock Sports message boards.

SkyCock

Joined Oct 2, 2017
Jan 21, 2022
I met you @ one of those “Lunch with Lou“ Schlorship Donor gatherings near the Fairgrounds one year! I must say you were a jolly good fellow! The yr 2000 I recollect? Now Trooper Del……lol …He kept everybody in line! Good ‘ol days indeed✌️😎

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
I was 47 years old (1998) when I got my first home computer. I was on FGF, the State's Gamecock board, and AST (RIP). FGF had a fast community that might have intimidated me a little bit, although I posted here (there, in those days) some. I spent most of my time at AST because I listened to Phil's show and got planted in that community. I am now on the second iteration of a board featuring some of the old AST posters, plus some others. But my activity on FGF has picked up in recent years and I have mostly enjoyed it. @Coupe, I salute you sir for your longevity and what you and others spawned. Your legacy is both appreciated and secure.

Fowlmoodin99

Joined Oct 28, 1998
Jan 20, 2022
I remember the early days and one of the first gatherings at the old Tremont Inn in Cayce. Coupe and Plano, you guys will forever be trailblazers

Reactions: King Ward

MrCockStrong

Feb 2, 2022
1957 Duke vs Carolina.
Lived in Goldsboro NC. The only one in a Major Corp. that knew about Football and took client to the game.

I very much appreciate that you were the original portal that linked three things together for me:

1. The origins of FGF to the new way of Gamecock fan interaction in cyberspace.
2. My high school past that links to you and Gamecock Sports
-- Blown away that you knew my cousin, who wrestled at LR and in the '88 Olympics.
-- Also, I loved the story about Ernie Jackson, who played at LR and at Duke and the Saturday they played Carolina in Durham
3. Meeting at the FGF luncheon in Mt. Pleasant was only the 2nd time I met a Gamecock fan from online interaction -- the 1st was Brickyard Cock, who lived in the same neighborhood, and he was also at the luncheon. All because of what you and Plano started.

By the way, anybody ever hear from Snotty Peed and Beans?

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
I very much appreciate that you were the original portal that linked three things together for me:

-- Blown away that you knew my cousin, who wrestled at LR and in the '88 Olympics.
-- Also, I loved the story about Ernie Jackson, who played at LR and at Duke and the Saturday they played Carolina in Durham
3. Meeting at the FGF luncheon in Mt. Pleasant was only the 2nd time I met a Gamecock fan from online interaction -- the 1st was Brickyard Cock, who lived in the same neighborhood, and he was also at the luncheon. All because of what you and Plano started.

It was a shame Ernie Jackson got away from Carolina. I remember the Duke game you're talking about. He was a great little athlete. I attended Southside in Florence and I remember him breaking our backs. Mooney Player teams were fun to watch. Didn't mean to get off on a tangent. Everyone carry on.

CockofEarle

Jan 31, 2022

Louie has contact with peed…….btw, brickyard is a long lost name from hwy 17……..what happened to him?

1vagamecock

Jan 19, 2022
I was 47 years old (1998) when I got my first home computer. I was on FGF, the State's Gamecock board, and AST (RIP). FGF had a fast community that might have intimidated me a little bit, although I posted here (there, in those days) some. I spent most of my time at AST because I listened to Phil's show and got planted in that community. I am now on the second iteration of a board featuring some of the old AST posters, plus some others. But my activity on FGF has picked up in recent years and I have mostly enjoyed it. @Coupe, I salute you sir for your longevity and what you and others spawned. Your legacy is both appreciated and secure.
I came over in 2011 (I think) after getting kicked off of the states site. Hard to believe I would do anything bad enough for that, right?

PD-Cock

Jan 29, 2022
I remember the early days and one of the first gatherings at the old Tremont Inn in Cayce. Coupe and Plano, you guys will forever be trailblazers
Treemont? Is it still around or a memory?
Remember the ole Howard Johnson up the street w/ the pumpkin carriage? Don't know why but, always wanted that carriage.

Reactions: Horseshoe04

Horseshoe04

Joined Jan 5, 2014
Jan 21, 2022
I have not had a history lesson in a while,

thank you my older brothers! Keep CROWING GAMECOCKS !

Jan 20, 2022
Treemont? Is it still around or a memory?
Remember the ole Howard Johnson up the street w/ the pumpkin carriage? Don't know why but, always wanted that carriage.
Nope. Someone got it, and the land all the way to the corner at Axtell Drive and built over 200 apartments. The Howard Johnson's is gone as well, now a CVS and some other small stores.

Tremont
Howard Johnson's

Jan 20, 2022
You know, it really was a pretty motel property back in the day, don't you think?
Always thought that it was an exclusive place to stay whenever we rode by. In one of these pictures you can see it was recognized as an "Outstanding Commercial Building" from the Committee for a Cleaner and More Beautiful Columbia. Modern architecture from the early 1960's.

View from across the street
Postcard
Outstanding building

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
Always thought that it was an exclusive place to stay whenever we rode by. In one of these pictures you can see it was recognized as an "Outstanding Commercial Building" from the Committee for a Cleaner and More Beautiful Columbia. Modern architecture from the early 1960's.

View from across the street
Postcard
Outstanding building
Great photo array. Brings back memories. I understand that visiting Carolina opponents used to stay there - or so I was told.