In other news, SWAT had 7 Blocks last night...

Henry Kissinger

Aug 30, 2006
the last two of those blocks (i think it was the last two) weren't down low. they were guys just pulling up to hit midrange shots. that's how deceptive he looks. he just jumped up and blocked them.

but he's not a good defensive player, don't forget that

dawgatUSM

Apr 6, 2008
Henry Kissinger said:
the last two of those blocks (i think it was the last two) weren't down low. they were guys just pulling up to hit midrange shots. that's how deceptive he looks. he just jumped up and blocked them.

<span style="font-weight: bold;">but he's not a good defensive player, don't forget that</span>
Did someone else say this? I would beg to differ...

patdog

May 28, 2007
Henry Kissinger said:
but he's not a good defensive player, don't forget that
Maybe if he blocked out better.

Just to clarify for anyone who wasn't here last year, yes, another poster is being made fun of. I have no idea who it was, but someone kept insisting that Swat wasn't a good defensive player.

rugbdawg

Oct 10, 2006
athlete so he doesn't usually have to.

I wasn't the poster that criticized his defense but there is always room for improvement. And by improvement, I mean eat some whoppers so Dwayne Curtis can't post you up on the block. You can push him around a little bit on both ends. But oftentimes, he gives away his position on the floor in order to entice players to take a shot/layup. He will have to change that in the NBA because some guys will be able to score on him.

He's the best defensive player in the country but still has loads of room to improve. That's scary. Mostly, he just needs someone to force feed him.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
i never said he wasnt a good defensive player, but i did say many times over that he isnt as complete a defensive player as others.

his weakside defense is less than impressive. also, last season he led the team in both foul outs and overall number of fouls. this naturally happens with a shotblocker, but at the same time, the weapon can be a liability. his SEC DPOY skills do no good sitting on the bench with 15 minutes left in the first half because of 2 quick fouls.

he is an absurdly great shotblocker. and just as good, he make people change how they attack the rim and post up in the paint. he causes the other teams problems, and that makes him a dangerous defender.
and that overshadows his weaknesses.

the guy is one of the best matchup problems on D that i can remember in college though

rugbdawg

Oct 10, 2006
He can single handedly defend the lane. It allows your entire team to take chances all over the floor. Do you remember last year how average to bad we were defensively when he was out of the game?

The best defensive player in the country should change the complexion of the game every trip down the floor. Swat does that. A lockup man guy won't do that. He can't take over a game on the defensive end by himself. Swat CAN take over a game on the defensive end.