Interesting read:

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
throw up team america GIF

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Just a little more research by the author would confirm that Franklin is actually getting paid no more or no less than the market has established for his results.

By definition Franklin gets paid "market" because coaches are a differentiated product with a market supply of one. And, FWIW. Poorman did do his "research:"

"5. The $9 mil-plus would rank Franklin in the top 10 of the highest-paid college football coaches, right up there with the Peach Bowl victor, Lane Kiffin ($9 million). This is according to USA Today’s 2022-23 salary survey found here: sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/coach."

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
By definition Franklin gets paid "market" because coaches are a differentiated product with a market supply of one. And, FWIW. Poorman did do his "research:"

"5. The $9 mil-plus would rank Franklin in the top 10 of the highest-paid college football coaches, right up there with the Peach Bowl victor, Lane Kiffin ($9 million). This is according to USA Today’s 2022-23 salary survey found here: sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/coach."
The easy part is saying that so and so is overpaid- the hard part is saying that jimmy or Joe or Mary would be better and would get better results.

Pointing out problems without having solutions is a good way to get fired (or at least never to advance) in any organization worth working in.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
The easy part is saying that so and so is overpaid- the hard part is saying that jimmy or Joe or Mary would be better and would get better results.

Pointing out problems without having solutions is a good way to get fired (or at least never to advance) in any organization worth working in.

FIRE. FRANKLIN. o_O

Now, who do we hire to get the sustained results that we deserve?

Er…um…uh…🤔

Reactions: Chooch59

Charlie1978

Dec 8, 2022
Just a little more research by the author would confirm that Franklin is actually getting paid no more or no less than the market has established for his results.
Exactly and thanks. With the exception of in-game coaching where he has been poor, and I would say much inferior to Joe, Franklin has met expectations, and not yet exceeded them. His hires of Joe M, Traut and Manny D, his recruitment of QBs and OL and his integrity are his enduring achievements thus far. But Penn State does not compete for participation trophies. He is being paid to do better than 1-13, which I find to be a Narducci level statement of performance, again, in contrast to Joe's historical bowl game record. We were just spoiled by the totality of Joe's excellence even if he skills eroded faster than they did for the Bear and Saban.

I love this board, the true home for Penn State football fans.

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023

FWIW:
I didn't see anything in that article that mentioned "over paid", "under paid", or "middle paid"(?).
Maybe I missed it, but not sure why that would be the response.

Reactions: PSU73

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Exactly and thanks. With the exception of in-game coaching where he has been poor, and I would say much inferior to Joe, Franklin has met expectations, and not yet exceeded them. His hires of Joe M, Traut and Manny D, his recruitment of QBs and OL and his integrity are his enduring achievements thus far. But Penn State does not compete for participation trophies. He is being paid to do better than 1-13, which I find to be a Narducci level statement of performance, again, in contrast to Joe's historical bowl game record. We were just spoiled by the totality of Joe's excellence even if he skills eroded faster than they did for the Bear and Saban.

I love this board, the true home for Penn State football fans.
Thanks for this. This gives me some perspective.

Let’s face it, we’re all trying to cope with this disastrous year as best we can. And I think that we are all, in our hearts, scared shirtless that we might be looking at irreverence in perpetuity. I’m a Georgetown BB lifer and know that they’ll never make it back, they’re toast, might as well go Div II. It’s not pretty. All this disappointment, it’s wearying.

Reactions: Tgar and fairgambit

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
FWIW:
I didn't see anything in that article that mentioned "over paid", "under paid", or "middle paid"(?).
Maybe I missed it, but not sure why that would be the response.
I wasn't talking about the article- just about the typical discussion here.

Reactions: PSUFTG2

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021

Changing football coaches is always a calculated risk, More fail to meet expectations than achieve them, hence the constant turnover.

So the question for any AD is what are expectations. They are apparently different at a place like Iowa, where Ferentz has been the coach for almost 25 years, and aTm, where Jimbo Fisher gets fired after six. Different strokes.

There is only one Nick Saban in college football. Kirby Smart is an "almost Nick Saban." Jim Harbaugh may become an "almost Nick Saban." Five years ago Dabo Swinney was an "almost Nick Saban" (or even mentioned in the same breath as "Nick Saban"). Where is he now?

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
How about a defensive coordinator with no HC experience? That’s what Georgia did.
Calculated risk that worked out. Woulda thought that Lincoln Riley to USC would have been less of a calculated risk, but so far it isn't working out that way.

I'm of the opinion that Nick Saban is the best coach in college football. Could Nick have replicated the results he's achieved at Alabama at PSU? Most probably not.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
Thanks for this. This gives me some perspective.

Let’s face it, we’re all trying to cope with this disastrous year as best we can. And I think that we are all, in our hearts, scared shirtless that we might be looking at irreverence in perpetuity. I’m a Georgetown BB lifer and know that they’ll never make it back, they’re toast, might as well go Div II. It’s not pretty. All this disappointment, it’s wearying.
We were 10-3 for God’s sake and lost a bowl game due to multiple opt outs and limited snaps. Man, I thought we were a spoiled fan base before we had back to back double digit win seasons, now 10 wins is a failure. Some folks need to step back and look at pretty much every other program in the country outside of about four.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
We were 10-3 for God’s sake and lost a bowl game due to multiple opt outs and limited snaps. Man, I thought we were a spoiled fan base before we had back to back double digit win seasons, now 10 wins is a failure. Some folks need to step back and look at pretty much every other program in the country outside of about four.

No one wants to be us. 😞

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
they won't- they remember a history that we don't have

Reactions: Ludd

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
Changing football coaches is always a calculated risk, More fail to meet expectations than achieve them, hence the constant turnover.

So the question for any AD is what are expectations. They are apparently different at a place like Iowa, where Ferentz has been the coach for almost 25 years, and aTm, where Jimbo Fisher gets fired after six. Different strokes.

There is only one Nick Saban in college football. Kirby Smart is an "almost Nick Saban." Jim Harbaugh may become an "almost Nick Saban." Five years ago Dabo Swinney was an "almost Nick Saban" (or even mentioned in the same breath as "Nick Saban"). Where is he now?
If Georgia was in the same division as Bama, Smart wouldn’t be “almost Nick Saban”. Harbaugh wasn’t “almost Nick Saban” for a long time, but Ryan Day was “almost Nick Saban” until he wasn’t. Dabo would have never been “almost Nick Saban” if he wasn’t in the ACC. Bottom line, when you’re trying to bring a program up to the highest level, it’s very difficult when you have two teams in the same division who are already there. Just ask any team that’s in Bama’s division.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
If Georgia was in the same division as Bama, Smart wouldn’t be “almost Nick Saban”. Harbaugh wasn’t “almost Nick Saban” for a long time, but Ryan Day was “almost Nick Saban” until he wasn’t. Dabo would have never been “almost Nick Saban” if he wasn’t in the ACC. Bottom line, when you’re trying to bring a program up to the highest level, it’s very difficult when you have two teams in the same division who are already there. Just ask any team that’s in Bama’s division.
But all of them are (and were) where they are, not somewhere else, yet they are or have been thought of in terms of being close to Nick Saban. James Franklin? Don't think so.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
It’s not so much the annual compensation that is off putting, it’s the one-sided terms and remaining length. Thanks Sandy.
That's the way coaching contracts were done (see Jimbo Fisher, Lincoln Riley). Recent contracts of Mike Elko and Curt Cignetti seem to indicate a pulling back. Test will be if either of those guys have a couple of years of success and their contracts are renegotiated. Not entirely sure what to make of Drinkwitz's extensions over the last couple of years. At least Mizzou hasn't gone completely into the rabbit hole.

Reactions: Midnighter

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Yeah, “pretty much every program in the country” is us. It’s not just that we lost the Peach Bowl, but the O once again looked clueless, lifeless. We all thought that Allar would be a real one and now we’re all thinking, what if he doesn’t improve? Yes, we won 10 games but all that means is that we won all the games we were supposed to. In the other two, we were simply outclassed. (I’m not counting the Peach.) I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know but, man, things are not looking rosy for 2024. I’ll come around, I always do, but right now I’m not happy.

If we don’t make the 12 next year it will be flat out catastrophic to the program. We’ve all seen what NIL is doing at Nebraska, and we have to ask ourselves if we can keep up with NIL.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
But all of them are (and were) where they are, not somewhere else, yet they are or have been thought of in terms of being close to Nick Saban. James Franklin? Don't think so.
And had Day, or Smart, or Harbaugh gone to PSU, would they be close to Nick Saban? Don’t think so.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
Yeah, “pretty much every program in the country” is us. It’s not just that we lost the Peach Bowl, but the O once again looked clueless, lifeless. We all thought that Allar would be a real one and now we’re all thinking, what if he doesn’t improve? Yes, we won 10 games but all that means is that we won all the games we were supposed to. In the other two, we were simply outclassed. (I’m not counting the Peach.) I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know but, man, things are not looking rosy for 2024. I’ll come around, I always do, but right now I’m not happy.

If we don’t make the 12 next year it will be flat out catastrophic to the program. We’ve all seen what NIL is doing at Nebraska, and we have to ask ourselves if we can keep up with NIL.
How many other programs have had back to back 10 win seasons? So we’re hardly pretty much every program in the country. And we were hardly outclassed by OSU this year. And finally, please tell me the last time this program has gone back to back years beating “everyone they were supposed to”. And please tell me any other program that has done that in the last two years outside of Georgia.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
So you believe that Franklin is a better coach than those three? You're entitled to your opinion.
I don't know- it's possible to speculate, but none of them have been in each other's circumstances.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
So you believe that Franklin is a better coach than those three? You're entitled to your opinion.
It’s very possible he is, you can’t know for sure unless they switched positions and that can’t be done. I will say Franklin started off in a much bigger hole than those others both at Vandy and PSU. Who’s a better manager, a guy that takes over the Astros and wins a World Series or a guy that takes over the Pirates and gets them to the playoffs?

Latest posts