Interesting read:

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
It’s very possible he is, you can’t know for sure unless they switched positions and that can’t be done. I will say Franklin started off in a much bigger hole than those others both at Vandy and PSU. Who’s a better manager, a guy that takes over the Astros and wins a World Series or a guy that takes over the Pirates and gets them to the playoffs?
So after ten years Franklin is still digging out of that hole? Then he needs to dig faster. But maybe not and PSU is poised to challenge for conference and national championships? Check back this time next year.

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
How many other programs have had back to back 10 win seasons? So we’re hardly pretty much every program in the country. And we were hardly outclassed by OSU this year. And finally, please tell me the last time this program has gone back to back years beating “everyone they were supposed to”. And please tell me any other program that has done that in the last two years outside of Georgia.
Is an occassional win against a top 10 team too much to ask for? Especially when we match up well in everything outside of play calling?

Reactions: LionJim

PSUFBFAN

Oct 7, 2021
It’s not so much the annual compensation that is off putting, it’s the one-sided terms and remaining length. Thanks Sandy.
Since 2016 Penn State's average recruiting ranking is 13.
Since 2016, Penn State's winning percentage puts them at #8 in the country.

By that measure, Franklin is outperforming his recruiting efforts and is "underpaid" if he is "only" the 10th highest paid coach.

If people want us to go from #13 to top 5 in recruiting and hold Franklin's feet to the fire with expectations of top 5 results, then start sending money to our NIL collective, because that's the name of the game these days.

FYI, I don't contribute to hazy, non-transparent organizations that use funds to bribe Johnny 5 star to come to Penn State instead of Ohio State. I accept that decision means maybe Penn State will never be a consistent top 5 (top 10, top 15, top 20 team). Instead, I choose to send some of my discretionary funds to organizations that help people who have been less fortunate in the roulette wheel of life than I have been. To each their own.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
So for $500K more, we could have had a coach that has just proven he can beat a top 10 team
I’m not sure this is the point you want to make? He also lost the toughest two games on his schedule by multiple scores including a shellacking of a 52-17 loss to UGa. Their season this year pretty much mirrors what PSU did last year. Nice 10-2 regular season and a win over a top 10 team in a bowl. With that said, I think Ole Miss was a pretty good team this year, but outsiders probably said the same about PSU last year and many of us weren’t happy with the results.

Last edited:

LB99

Oct 27, 2021

By that measure, Franklin is outperforming his recruiting efforts and is "underpaid" if he is "only" the 10th highest paid coach.

If people want us to go from #13 to top 5 in recruiting and hold Franklin's feet to the fire with expectations of top 5 results, then start sending money to our NIL collective, because that's the name of the game these days.

FYI, I don't contribute to hazy, non-transparent organizations that use funds to bribe Johnny 5 star to come to Penn State instead of Ohio State. I accept that decision means maybe Penn State will never be a consistent top 5 (top 10, top 15, top 20 team). Instead, I choose to send some of my discretionary funds to organizations that help people who have been less fortunate in the roulette wheel of life than I have been. To each their own.
Spot on. Well said.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Here’s the bottom line for many, I guess. If you want Franklin gone, start raising money for his buyout. If you want to play with the big boys, start contributing to NIL. The portal and top rated recruits are being largely influenced by NIL. If PSU can’t contribute more in that capacity, don’t expect to get better players. If you can’t, or won’t, contribute to either, not much point in complaining.

Reactions: OhioLion

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
I don't know- it's possible to speculate, but none of them have been in each other's circumstances.
True. To me the measure is whether the extent to which a coach meets his employer's, the school's, expectations. Impossible to fully know, but a good indicator his whether he keeps his job (e.g. Ferentz) or gets fired (e.g. Fisher).

Reactions: Nitt1300

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021

But he's also responsible for those recruiting rankings. And I read that NIL was fixed and haven't heard Franklin complain about them recently. But is is a New Year .......................

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Here’s the bottom line for many, I guess. If you want Franklin gone, start raising money for his buyout. If you want to play with the big boys, start contributing to NIL. The portal and top rated recruits are being largely influenced by NIL. If PSU can’t contribute more in that capacity, don’t expect to get better players. If you can’t, or won’t, contribute to either, not much point in complaining.
There is a little complication with all of these pleas for NIL contributions. Let's take the proverbial John Smith. John loves his college football team and could easily write a check for $100k toward NIL. But John is in a business/profession where he has no use for his school athletes, or anyone else for that matter, promoting it. John also doesn't want the junk his school's NIL collective offers. So what is John supposed to do?

Reactions: Indian rocks rich

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
There is a little complication with all of these pleas for NIL contributions. Let's take the proverbial John Smith. John loves his college football team and could easily write a check for $100k toward NIL. But John is in a business/profession where he has no use for his school athletes, or anyone else for that matter, promoting it. John also doesn't want the junk his school's NIL collective offers. So what is John supposed to do?
What did John do before NIL? If John had the means to donate then, he probably did in some way. Maybe continue that, or not? My point is, coming to this board complaining isn’t going to change anything.

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
And if he did write a check for $100K, who's to say $75K isn't skimmed off the top for 'administration' fees?

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
What this article told me is that PSU is paying far too much for a bad gameday coach. Him being a bad gameday coach was known by a number of fans as far back as 2014.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
DeBoer is a steal for Washington at $4.2 million. That number may soon go way up.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Thanks for this. This gives me some perspective.

Let’s face it, we’re all trying to cope with this disastrous year as best we can. And I think that we are all, in our hearts, scared shirtless that we might be looking at irreverence in perpetuity. I’m a Georgetown BB lifer and know that they’ll never make it back, they’re toast, might as well go Div II. It’s not pretty. All this disappointment, it’s wearying.
When I stopped caring about results produced by athletes a third my age, my life improved substantially. I still watch Penn State games but dispassionately. The transfer portal, NIL, and the endless self adulation and pomposity displayed after nearly every play, has made the sport anathema to me. Instead of watching Michigan/Alabama I will play my guitar or work on a watercolor painting I started before Christmas. My wife and I took up the guitar and painting in our 60s and the results bring more satisfaction than any football game ever did. I don't condemn those who are still passionate fans. I was once in your number. I only point out the obvious. There Is more to life than football.... a lot more.
Happy New Year to all and many God bless us, every one.

19333lion

Oct 27, 2021
Just a little more research by the author would confirm that Franklin is actually getting paid no more or no less than the market has established for his results.
Which is one of the reasons college football has worn me out. The absurd salaries for coaches, NIL, transfer portal, "commitments", "opt-outs", full-time coverage of high school kids.....No mas.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
When I stopped caring about results produced by athletes a third my age, my life improved substantially. I still watch Penn State games but dispassionately. The transfer portal, NIL, and the endless self adulation and pomposity displayed after nearly every play, has made the sport anathema to me. Instead of watching Michigan/Alabama I will play my guitar or work on a watercolor painting I started before Christmas. My wife and I took up the guitar and painting in our 60s and the results bring more satisfaction than any football game ever did. I don't condemn those who are still passionate fans. I was once in your number. I only point out the obvious. There Is more to life than football.... a lot more.
Happy New Year to all and many God bless us, every one.
Fantastic post fair. Congrats on continuing to learn and grow as human. I admire your continued pursuit of happiness in life. Happy New Year!

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
What this article told me is that PSU is paying far too much for a bad gameday coach. Him being a bad gameday coach was known by a number of fans as far back as 2014.
Fans everywhere have been whining about "game day coaching" forever- and some think every poor play is evidence.

Reactions: Ludd

WVilleLion23

Oct 27, 2022
Thanks for this. This gives me some perspective.

Let’s face it, we’re all trying to cope with this disastrous year as best we can. And I think that we are all, in our hearts, scared shirtless that we might be looking at irreverence in perpetuity. I’m a Georgetown BB lifer and know that they’ll never make it back, they’re toast, might as well go Div II. It’s not pretty. All this disappointment, it’s wearying.
I almost always enjoy your posts, however “coping with disastrous year…”

Come on man!

And on one of your later posts about will we keep up with NIL. I have stated several times we will not. It is going to be the sad reality. I am actually surprised so many think that we will somehow excel at it.

Reactions: LionJim

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I almost always enjoy your posts, however “coping with disastrous year…”

Come on man!

And on one of your later posts about will we keep up with NIL. I have stated several times we will not. It is going to be the sad reality. I am actually surprised so many think that we will somehow excel at it.
Yeah, “disastrous” was over the top, my bad.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Fantastic post fair. Congrats on continuing to learn and grow as human. I admire your continued pursuit of happiness in life. Happy New Year!
Thanks for the kind words. Like so many my age, I had a lot of dreams in my youth that will never be realized, but I'm determined to accomplish some that are still there for the taking.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Thanks for the kind words. Like so many my age, I had a lot of dreams in my youth that will never be realized, but I'm determined to accomplish some that are still there for the taking.
That’s commendable. Some of the smartest, most interesting people I know are those that continue to challenge their brains and grow well into adulthood. I, too, have some things I’d like to pursue in due time when I get closer to retirement. Guitar maybe? Travel to some places I’ve never been like Italy, Greece, and Switzerland, and maybe some other things like learning a second language. However, for now, I’m in the daily routine of trying to be the best father and husband I can be, while getting two teenage boys through high school and college, and paying the mortgage. I’m pretty lucky, but there’s still things to do. Anyway, enjoy your endeavors.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
What did John do before NIL? If John had the means to donate then, he probably did in some way. Maybe continue that, or not? My point is, coming to this board complaining isn’t going to change anything.
You're avoiding the question, but I'll play. Before NIL, John contributed $300k to the Athletic Department's general fund. Now he's being asked to contribute an additional $100k to NIL. He's happy to oblige, but how does he do it? His business doesn't lend itself to having an athlete promote it, nor does he want the junk the NIL cooperative offers.
And if he did write a check for $100K, who's to say $75K isn't skimmed off the top for 'administration' fees?
A legitimate concern. While your example might be high, wouldn't surprise me that some NIL cooperatives are profiteering in a big way.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
You're avoiding the question, but I'll play. Before NIL, John contributed $300k to the Athletic Department's general fund. Now he's being asked to contribute an additional $100k to NIL. He's happy to oblige, but how does he do it? His business doesn't lend itself to having an athlete promote it, nor does he want the junk the NIL cooperative offers.

A legitimate concern. While your example might be high, wouldn't surprise me that some NIL cooperatives are profiteering in a big way.
I’m not avoiding anything. I really don’t give a sh*t. If some rich guy wants to donate, he’ll find a way. If the complainers on here want things to change, they’ll need to pony up.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
That’s commendable. Some of the smartest, most interesting people I know are those places I’ve never been like Italy, Greece, and Switzerland, and maybe some other things like learning a second language. However, for now, I’m in the daily routine of trying to be the best father and husband I can be, while getting two teenage boys through high school and college, and paying the mortgage. I’m pretty lucky, but there’s still things to do. Anyway, enjoy your endeavors.
There is no more noble calling than being a good father and husband. In many ways those are the biggest challenges of all and certainly none are more important. All the best in your efforts LB.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
I’m not avoiding anything. I really don’t give a sh*t. If some rich guy wants to donate, he’ll find a way. If the complainers on here want things to change, they’ll need to pony up.
I know of one "rich guy" who can't figure it out and neither the collective or athletic department can help.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
It’s going to 12 teams…how many years would it have taken Franklin to get into a 12 team playoff…year 3.
We're not recasting history. Same playing field; from now moving forward.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
We're not recasting history. Same playing field; from now moving forward.
We’re not doing anything. If he makes it he makes it, if not then he doesn’t. He’s still not going anywhere.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
I'm of the opinion that Nick Saban is the best coach in college football. Could Nick have replicated the results he's achieved at Alabama at PSU? Most probably not.
If a Franklin team ran a QB draw into that UM front on fourth and goal in OT down by 7 all the grocery stores in the Northeast USA would run out of tissues. Carry on.

Reactions: Shadow99

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
If a Franklin team ran a QB draw into that UM front on fourth and goal in OT down by 7 all the grocery stores in the Northeast USA would run out of tissues. Carry on.
When does Bama OC Tommy Rees hit the portal?