Is it just me or do we look like boys among men

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
against the top half of the SEC. The physicality difference is quite remarkable. Lemon needs to hit the portal hard for power hitters. Tenn has over 140 HRs, we have half that and our top 2 are as cold as ice. Throw in some arm strength in the infield would help too. That hit to right field that landed in front of Jordan would have been a sure out with Renfroe in right. Just sayin'.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Had an Auburn buddy who pulls for State when we’re not playing each other mention last night our “small lineup” and again tonight when the eye test again favored UT.

Seemed to work out fine against Ole Miss though 😩😄

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Had an Auburn buddy who pulls for State when we’re not playing each other mention last night our “small lineup” and again tonight when the eye test again favored UT.

Seemed to work out fine against Ole Miss though 😩😄
Ahh, now we know who you are. We have heard that kind of thing before, from an ex internet media type.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
against the top half of the SEC. The physicality difference is quite remarkable. Lemon needs to hit the portal hard for power hitters. Tenn has over 140 HRs, we have half that and our top 2 are as cold as ice. Throw in some arm strength in the infield would help too. That hit to right field that landed in front of Jordan would have been a sure out with Renfroe in right. Just sayin'.
Tennessee is an outlier, size wise.
But what I’m struck by is how UT, Arkansas and A&M just keep rolling out power arms. The pitching staff has been good this year and especially in Hoover but some of the other guys have an embarrassment of riches.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
My son, who is in his mid-30s (yeah, I'm old), asked me later this season why we were playing baseball games against SEC football players. I did not have an answer.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
TN and TAMU have two of the 5 best coaches in the country. Thats the real issue.

Reactions: Anon1664516582
Nov 20, 2023
We have been lagging in our recruitment and development we have been left behind by other programs in the SEC under Lemonis. 4-5 are fielding much better complete teams every year.
Yep I don’t care who’s feelings it might upset bc they like so and so coach but sometimes changes just need to be made for instance prioritize recruiting the types of players we need and last but not least maybe look into the strength and conditioning coach. No reason we shouldn’t be a top recruiting and developing team every year with top pitching more often as well. We should be fighting for the top 2-3 team in the sec I feel like. I do know of some limitations I hear of at MSU but honestly in baseball we should be doing better. I like Lemonis and am greatful for the Natty but I want to see more going forward. I realize we have been dealing with injuries, yes. Still I believe we’re missing that X factor on our staff to light a fire 🔥 under their asses sometimes as well. Let me say this is not a post putting them down I absolutely love my MSU baseball I just want to see it maximized in it’s potential

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It is a little harder for us to catch up by adding a strengthening and conditioning coach. It follows the old rule that you can't teach speed and you can't teach somebody to be taller and bigger.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
The coach had the best stadium and a National Championship but did not follow up well. He missed on a lot of guys. Some are working out but others not so much. I can't figure out why he put the last batter in. he was batting 124 and we were down one run with two outs. Was he going with his gut thinking the guy was due? His decisions baffle me sometimes and we don't have the talent to make up for bad coaching decisions like we did with the NC team.

aspendawg

Sep 10, 2009
You can't teach speed is absolutely and completely wrong. The same for dunking a basketball. Give some the right program and specific training and they can achieve dramatic results in both departments.

Tennesse's S&C coach came back after serving a year as the head S&C coach for the Chicago Cubs.
Josh Kesel is the Texas A&M S&C coach. Before going to the Aggies he owned Premiere Pitching and Performance in Dallas which was one of, if not the, most sought-after and elite facilities in the country. His business partner eventually walked away to be the bullpen coach for the Seattle Mariners.

I'm sure our S&C coach is a nice guy and I don't know him so I'm not going to sh** on him but there's a definite difference in his resume vs theirs. I'm floored that Hunter Hines, in his 3rd year, doesn't look like Brian DeWeese did back in 98. We've never had a true hardcore baseball strength program and it's always shown.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
We've never had a true hardcore baseball strength program and it's always shown.
It's not because the facilities aren't there. We have great weight and training facilities. They just don't have anybody that knows how to utilize the facilities

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
You can't teach speed is absolutely and completely wrong. The same for dunking a basketball. Give some the right program and specific training and they can achieve dramatic results in both departments.

Tennesse's S&C coach came back after serving a year as the head S&C coach for the Chicago Cubs.
Josh Kesel is the Texas A&M S&C coach. Before going to the Aggies he owned Premiere Pitching and Performance in Dallas which was one of, if not the, most sought-after and elite facilities in the country. His business partner eventually walked away to be the bullpen coach for the Seattle Mariners.

I'm sure our S&C coach is a nice guy and I don't know him so I'm not going to sh** on him but there's a definite difference in his resume vs theirs. I'm floored that Hunter Hines, in his 3rd year, doesn't look like Brian DeWeese did back in 98. We've never had a true hardcore baseball strength program and it's always shown.
Do you really think you can make someone who is 5 foot 10 and 160 pounds stronger than someone who is 6 foot 3 and 220 pounds? I do not doubt we don't need some help with our strength and conditioning,, but you have to have talented and strong/fast players to start with.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
It was pretty easy to see. TN was bigger and looked more athletic.

Nov 20, 2023
It is a little harder for us to catch up by adding a strengthening and conditioning coach. It follows the old rule that you can't teach speed and you can't teach somebody to be taller and bigger.
I meant anything that could get the recruiting consistent of the type of kids we need and then develop them into a much more well rounded product than we have been doing. I understand what you say and it is true but I still know there’s quite a few things that be improved with our baseball program’s way of doing things. I’m curious where you would start as a long time poster and member here I respect your opinion. I’m glad we’re a whole lot better than last year and missed Dohm and others. What do you think needs to change first to bring us to the forefront or top few year in and year out like some other teams. I remember when Tennessee was not good not that long ago.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Why do bigger players go to other SEC schools?
Other schools are recruiting them now.
NIL.... Aka bribes.
Other schools have a lot to offer from majors to location to baseball staff to facilities.

aspendawg

Sep 10, 2009
Do you really think you can make someone who is 5 foot 10 and 160 pounds stronger than someone who is 6 foot 3 and 220 pounds? I do not doubt we don't need some help with our strength and conditioning,, but you have to have talented and strong/fast players to start with.
A 158 lb woman holds the world record for bench press (in her weight class) at 420lbs. I would gamble that we have some individuals on our football team who are 6'3 and 220lbs who can't bench that much. You can train what you have to become incredibly strong POUND for POUND. People need to get this concept out of their heads that you're just born with it. Some people have big frames but mechanically it puts them at a disadvantage in a lot of types of lifts. Recruiting bigger people may help some but I'll take Mershon all day and even more so if he had a strength program that added 10-15 lbs of pure muscle. And speed is just as teachable.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
A 158 lb woman holds the world record for bench press (in her weight class) at 420lbs. I would gamble that we have some individuals on our football team who are 6'3 and 220lbs who can't bench that much. You can train what you have to become incredibly strong POUND for POUND. People need to get this concept out of their heads that you're just born with it. Some people have big frames but mechanically it puts them at a disadvantage in a lot of types of lifts. Recruiting bigger people may help some but I'll take Mershon all day and even more so if he had a strength program that added 10-15 lbs of pure muscle. And speed is just as teachable.
You are talking about one player. I'm talking about a team and I'm talking about baseball but choose your example if you want to. I'm sure you beat my argument while we're traveling out west. As a team, we don't look like anything like our opponents, as far as whole team size, in the southeastern conference and it has nothing to do with how strong somebody is it all has to do with size. I know size doesn't win the game but sure as hell helps.

patdog

May 28, 2007
You are talking about one player. I'm talking about a team and I'm talking about baseball but choose your example if you want to. I'm sure you beat my argument while we're traveling out west. As a team, we don't look like anything like our opponents, as far as whole team size, in the southeastern conference and it has nothing to do with how strong somebody is it all has to do with size. I know size doesn't win the game but sure as hell helps.
It would help me a we had either size or strength. For the most part, we recruit small guys & don’t give them a good S&C program. It’s been that way for most of the last 30 years.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
It would help me a we had either size or strength. For the most part, we recruit small guys & don’t give them a good S&C program. It’s been that way for most of the last 30 years.
Before this year our baseball strength coach just happened to be Brittany Thackerys husband. How convenient.

Reactions: Studentdawg06

patdog

May 28, 2007
Before this year our baseball strength coach just happened to be Brittany Thackerys husband. How convenient.
Don’t know who she is, but I take it that’s a typical Mississippi State lazy hire.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
We recruit for talent, which is not bad either. We just don't develop them as well. We should I guess. sizes a funny thing at that age. I personally went from 6 foot to 6 foot three and 185 to 220 pounds when I was 19, and it wasn't beer gut. My football coach was nearly tears when he saw how much I grew after I graduated.