Jay Paterno Gets It Right

kgilbert78

All-Conference
Apr 9, 2013
1,107
1,711
113
I have a friend that sells insurance, about 20 years ago he's at a house. The daughter of the people he is seeing comes in with her boyfriend. Parents tell my buddie that if hes a PSU fan he'll know the boyfriend, which he did not. The kid was a starter on the football team. My friend, hes a talker (the dude sells insurance), so he says to the kid.

"Tell me something about the Penn State football team that the average person would never know."

The response, "Every player on the team hates Jay Paterno."

My buddy thought he was joking at first, but by the time he left, he was pretty certain he wasn't.
That said, I was watching Patton recently, where this quote came up....

Patton: I trained these men. They'll do what I tell them to do.British officer: Perhaps we hadn't realized you were quite so popular with your troops, General.Patton: I'm not. They'll do it because they're good soldiers.


You don't have to be liked to be a good general--or a coach. Now that doesn't mean that Jay was a good coach. But a lot of the team also hated Joe too at times, which in many cases (not all) changed after they graduated.
 
  • Like
Reactions: s1uggo72

Chumboshifko1

All-Conference
Oct 15, 2025
2,997
3,220
113
That said, I was watching Patton recently, where this quote came up....




You don't have to be liked to be a good general--or a coach. Now that doesn't mean that Jay was a good coach. But a lot of the team also hated Joe too at times, which in many cases (not all) changed after they graduated.

Did any of them give a reason for the hatred?
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Knickslions69

LionJim

Heisman
Oct 12, 2021
16,551
22,719
113
Not sure of your point.
Regardless of what Bradley did or didn’t recommend, JVP was the one who said “Let’s hire Jay.” JVP=CEO.

Actually, it’s likely George Welch gave Jay a good recommendation too.
 

Calabrin

All-Conference
Oct 16, 2022
1,671
2,030
113
It means it isn't worthy of outrage and venom 15 years after the guy left coaching. Father's have hired their sons in college and the NFL...Bob Chesney still has his father around.
All that matters is that Joe thought it was a good idea. Should we still be pissed he didn't ask for our permission?
I didn’t bring it up. I merely commented on it: nepotism is bad. Has nothing to do with not asking permission, or re-litigating the issue. Joe wasn’t perfect. It’s not unfair to point out his missteps. And the fact that “other people do it” continues to be irrelevant.
 

MacNit

All-Conference
Oct 12, 2021
2,320
2,260
113
If true, it will be a first. IMO, a nepotism hire that absolutely destroyed our recruiting in Ohio when given that job ( we used to get KIJana Carter, and Jeff Hardings, and Kim Herring, only 3 of the best players PSU ever had from Ohio. He takes over and we get preferred walk-ons like Joe Iorio and O$Us rejects). He then does things like recruits Canadians - remember Francis Claude? No? Neither does anyone else. As a rule, I don’t take anythIng entitled princelings say seriously.
Darryl Clark was from Ohio - 2-time 1st team all Big10 Qb and also a Big10 offensive MVP…
 
  • Like
Reactions: LionJim

Marshall2323

All-American
Aug 7, 2024
5,065
5,353
113
V
I didn’t bring it up. I merely commented on it: nepotism is bad. Has nothing to do with not asking permission, or re-litigating the issue. Joe wasn’t perfect. It’s not unfair to point out his missteps. And the fact that “other people do it” continues to be irrelevant.
Very incisive. Joe wasn't perfect. The fact remains he had the ability and the authority to hire his son. It still chaps you 15 years after the man is dead. That's your prerogative.
 

Still in State Colllege

All-Conference
Oct 12, 2021
623
1,065
93
Only $20m? I cleared $817 million after taxes


and gave it all to your wife... Morgan Fairchild. yeah that's the ticket.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Chumboshifko1
BWI

Latest

  1. 01 Rivals Football Recruiting Penn State impresses four-star edge George Parkinson IV
  2. 02 BWI Football Matt Campbell's message after Wisconsin: Penn State has to make the plays
  3. 03 BWI Football Penn State vs. Northwestern Preview Show
  4. 04 BWI Recruiting TE Quinn Weber recaps overnight Penn State visit: 'The crowd and intensity was crazy'
  5. 05 BWI Football Daryus Dixson injury update: What did Matt Campbell say about the Lions' corner on Wednesday?