Joe 17ing Powell

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Lemonis can’t sit his boys. Long is a Lemonis boy. Mentions him all the time. Lemonis won’t sit him

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
I'm sure he'd have hit a couple at least had he got his chances. I don't get lemons not playing him more. I mean he couldn't do any worse than long.

Reactions: HuntDawg

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
Yeah, Long has been playing non-conference games all year and has one extra base hit on the season to show for it.
Meanwhile Powell is now 3rd on team in SLG and 4th in OPS. Just ahead of Hines in both. Smallish sample size obviously. Long is now slugging .255 on the year.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
According to some we need a certain level of swagger at the plate to offset free hotdogs given out to the other team. How good is he at tea bagging would-be scoring baserunners tagged out at home?

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Hopefully Powell called an impromptu players only meeting tonight after the game to explain the importance of the weekend.

the 3 homers tonight probably aren’t enough to get him in the lineup unless that called meeting happens

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Lemonis all but said in the post game interview that long will continue to start.

said the catching situation is good. Certain guys are throwing to certain catchers but there is the dh spot there.

in other words. Expect to see long and his alpha energy on Thursday. Well all have the privledge of watching the two worst hitters in the sec square off, as the only start in the conference whose worse than long is the Missouri shortstop

• Sad
Reactions: Anon1697564126

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Lemonis all but said in the post game interview that long will continue to start.

said the catching situation is good. Certain guys are throwing to certain catchers but there is the dh spot there.

in other words. Expect to see long and his alpha energy on Thursday. Well all have the privledge of watching the two worst hitters in the sec square off, as the only start in the conference whose worse than long is the Missouri shortstop
I rarely ever watch the post-game stuff, but has anyone ever asked him specifically why he keeps going with Long over Powell? Sounds like he's teasing that Powell could DH, but we all know he's not taking that spot away from Larry. Obviously he knows this team way better than any of us do, but it would be nice if he actually shared a little bit with the entire fanbase who think it's obvious that Powell is better

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
I rarely ever watch the post-game stuff, but has anyone ever asked him specifically why he keeps going with Long over Powell? Sounds like he's teasing that Powell could DH, but we all know he's not taking that spot away from Larry. Obviously he knows this team way better than any of us do, but it would be nice if he actually shared a little bit with the entire fanbase who think it's obvious that Powell is better
Well, he should take the spot from Larry, and yes, I understand that dh’ing the backup catcher is not ideal.

But Larry is the only hitter who plays regularly who hits worse than Long in conference. He hits .184 in conference. Yes, .184. Now he does have seven extra base hits (seven times as many as Long.) But we just have too many dead spots in the lineup, the most glaring being Long.

It's very clear that Lemonis just doesn't want to play Powell at catcher despite almost every available statistic screaming for it.

Might as well use Powell’s bat, and if disaster happens, you'd have Spilatta as backup. Backups are rarely ideal anyway.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
He was bluntly asked did this performance and Powell 4 homers in the last 2 games force his way into the lineup.

lemonis response was: he was happy for Powell, but he likes the current catching situation. Certain guys are use to throwing to a certain catcher, but the Dh spot did offer some options.…

he was asked a follow up: and again brushed if off and dodged the point of the question…

long is the catcher. Again lemonis has a track record of being overly loyal to bad players

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
He was bluntly asked did this performance and Powell 4 homers in the last 2 games force his way into the lineup.

lemonis response was: he was happy for Powell, but he likes the current catching situation. Certain guys are use to throwing to a certain catcher, but the Dh spot did offer some options.…

he was asked a follow up: and again brushed if off and dodged the point of the question…

long is the catcher. Again lemonis has a track record of being overly loyal to bad players
So about what I figured, he sidesteps the questions with a "we like where we're at" and nothing changes. Thanks.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs