Joey Porter opts out of bowl - Declares for NFL

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Why does the championship matter either? If it’s about personal safety and future earnings, you should sit out no matter is at stake for the team shouldn’t you?
And before people look at me having issue with Porter and others that are doing this, I don’t really. I just don’t really understand the parameters we seem to use to be alright with the decision.
I suppose an easy way to explain this is that we use college teams as a minor league for professional sports. Square peg, round hole.

Oct 12, 2021
Porter will hopefully have a nice, long NFL career. Good luck to him.
Here is my question, not specifically about Porter but the practice of sitting out the bowl game in general. Why do guys skip the bowl game? Why not bail out halfway through the season if it’s about not risking injury? If skipping postseason games is worth it because of the injury risk, shouldn’t there be players skipping these upcoming playoff games as well?

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
Reactions: s1uggo72

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
I suppose an easy way to explain this is that we use college teams as a minor league for professional sports. Square peg, round hole.
That doesn’t answer for me why the championship should matter though.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
Perhaps the difference is that players grow up dreaming of national championships. I got nothing beyond this.
I suppose. I guess if I have a point (and I’m not really sure I do) it’s that I don’t have any more or less respect for a Micah Parsons who skipped an entire season than I would for a guy who may choose to bail after 5 games in a season than I do for a Joey Porter (and others like him) who skip their bowl games.

Reactions: LionJim

Latest posts