Joey Porter opts out of bowl - Declares for NFL

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
I think most would agree he's in the top 5 best corners to come out of PSU. Maybe top 2 or 3. What's with the doubted nonsense? He's 1st or 2nd round in the draft. Do you follow the games or just preach? The Willard Preacher is looking for a sidekick. It might be more your speed.
Would not mind seeing him in Steeler Black and Gold.

NoBareFeet

Oct 25, 2021
Lots of praise on here for a guy quitting on his team. The brainwashing by the woke sports media is obviously working quite well.

This is nothing to be celebrated. After all of the training, coaching, exposure he has gotten though Penn State (not to mention free tuition, room and board) this is a shameful thing to do. It is a selfish act.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Lots of praise on here for a guy quitting on his team. The brainwashing by the woke sports media is obviously working quite well.

This is nothing to be celebrated. After all of the training, coaching, exposure he has gotten though Penn State (not to mention free tuition, room and board) this is a shameful thing to do. It is a selfish act.
PSU ain't paying him to play in a bowl game. Life sucks and then you get a bowl of Cream of Wheat.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

I mean, he's like three weeks removed from an appendectomy. If there's one place we can afford an opt out in it's in our secondary. JPJr will hopefully do for us at DB what Saquon and Miles have done at RB and Parsons is doing at LB (noting the LB lineage is already VAUNTED!).

ILLINOISLION

Oct 12, 2021
I mean, he's like three weeks removed from an appendectomy. If there's one place we can afford an opt out in it's in our secondary. JPJr will hopefully do for us at DB what Saquon and Miles have done at RB and Parsons is doing at LB (noting the LB lineage is already VAUNTED!).

Well, he would be seven weeks removed by the bowl game.

I certainly hope he has a long and healthy career in the NFL but wish he would have played in the bowl game with his teammates.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Well, he would be seven weeks removed by the bowl game.

I certainly hope he has a long and healthy career in the NFL but wish he would have played in the bowl game with his teammates.

Winning bowls isn’t as important as it used to be. Getting to them still is though. He helped get us to a NY6 - works for me.

Last edited:

Mister Magoo

Oct 12, 2021

Being woke is maximizing your income? Hmmmm. I view that as a conservative thing to do. Look out for yourself. Who cares about anyone else?

psuno1

Oct 16, 2021
Could have used Porter in the bowl game- he got alot better this year, Good luck to him should be a first rounder.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
Porter will hopefully have a nice, long NFL career. Good luck to him.
Here is my question, not specifically about Porter but the practice of sitting out the bowl game in general. Why do guys skip the bowl game? Why not bail out halfway through the season if it’s about not risking injury? If skipping postseason games is worth it because of the injury risk, shouldn’t there be players skipping these upcoming playoff games as well?

Reactions: NoBareFeet

PSUFBFAN

Oct 7, 2021
Here is my question, not specifically about Porter but the practice of sitting out the bowl game in general. Why do guys skip the bowl game? Why not bail out halfway through the season if it’s about not risking injury? If skipping postseason games is worth it because of the injury risk, shouldn’t there be players skipping these upcoming playoff games as well?
It's already happened (regular season not playoff) and you don't need to look any further than our own 2020 Penn State team to see it in real life. It will become more commonplace as we move to the future.

Last edited:

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
It's already happened (regular seasone not playoff) and you don't need to look any further than our own 2020 Penn State team to see it in real life. It will become more commonplace as we move to the future.
That season was a different ballgame though.
I guess my question is more for the the people that applaud this decision by Porter (and others in his situation). Would they applaud it if he was sitting out the playoffs to prepare for the draft?

Meat Lab

Oct 25, 2021
ok
That season was a different ballgame though.
I guess my question is more for the the people that applaud this decision by Porter (and others in his situation). Would they applaud it if he was sitting out the playoffs to prepare for the draft?

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
they sit out because its cool, makes them seem important. To the other its coming.

Reactions: NoBareFeet

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021

At this point any time someone accuses someone or something of being woke it just means “I’m mad but I don’t know why. I never learned how to deal with my emotions.”

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
they sit out because its cool, makes them seem important.
Jake Butt says hi. All-American, Mackey Award winner, tore his ACL in a bowl game, went from a late 1st round, early second round draft pick to a fifth round pick.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021

I think it would be best if you just stop following college football. Your fake outrage would better focused elsewhere.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Jake Butt says hi. All-American, Mackey Award winner, tore his ACL in a bowl game, went from a late 1st round, early second round draft pick to a fifth round pick.

Again - pay players directly, make them sign contracts. I get opting out, but should be a way to make bowl games worth playing for these guys.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
No really. He was never mentioned in the first round. He was at best a second rounder. After his. Injury ‘At the conclusion of the pre-draft process, Butt was projected to be a second or third round pick by NFL draft experts and scouts’
So he drops to the 5th. Why? The injury? As noted above the experts still had him 2 3 rd round.
Further the process worked. Butt reportedly received a $543,000 payout due to a loss-of-value insurance claim he received due to his ACL injury. The loss-of-value insurance was a rider on top of a disability insurance that Butt bought prior to the draft that would pay out if he was not picked in the top half of the third round due to injury.[30][31][32]
Lots of guys playing in the NFL AFTER ACL surgery. Maybe he didn’t rehab as hard as needed

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
No really. He was never mentioned in the first round. He was at best a second rounder. After his. Injury ‘At the conclusion of the pre-draft process, Butt was projected to be a second or third round pick by NFL draft experts and scouts’
So he drops to the 5th. Why? The injury? As noted above the experts still had him 2 3 rd round.
Further the process worked. Butt reportedly received a $543,000 payout due to a loss-of-value insurance claim he received due to his ACL injury. The loss-of-value insurance was a rider on top of a disability insurance that Butt bought prior to the draft that would pay out if he was not picked in the top half of the third round due to injury.[30][31][32]
Lots of guys playing in the NFL AFTER ACL surgery. Maybe he didn’t rehab as hard as needed
Still, you said that players sit out bowl games just to get attention. The potential for injury in a bowl game that has no impact on a championship is a motivation to sit out.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Still, you said that players sit out bowl games just to get attention. The potential for injury in a bowl game that has no impact on a championship is a motivation to sit out.
There’s potential for injury in every game so if worries why play at all?? Let’s face ever game they play is meaningless. Unless of course the player attaches some meaning to it

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
There’s potential for injury in every game so if worries why play at all?? Let’s face ever game they play is meaningless. Unless of course the player attaches some meaning to it
You keep moving the goalposts. First you said that the players who sit out did it because of attention, with no mention of trying to avoid injury. Here you’re basically acknowledging my point that players do it to preserve their NFL earnings potential by avoiding injury. You just made my point. If you want to say that it’s a mistake, or inappropriate, for players to opt out for fear of injury, fine, but that wasn’t your original point, and it wasn’t what I was responding to.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
You keep moving the goalposts. First you said that the players who sit out did it because of attention, with no mention of trying to avoid injury. Here you’re basically acknowledging my point that players do it to preserve their NFL earnings potential by avoiding injury. You just made my point. If you want to say that it’s a mistake, or inappropriate, for players to opt out for fear of injury, fine, but that wasn’t your original point, and it wasn’t what I was responding to.
Ok great

Reactions: LionJim

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
That’s kind of my question though. If he were to blow his knee out with three weeks left in the season, shouldn’t he have shut it down after half a season?

Reactions: s1uggo72

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Again - pay players directly, make them sign contracts. I get opting out, but should be a way to make bowl games worth playing for these guys.
I posted this over on the pay board:

Use some of the bowl money to pay the players to play in it. It's not that hard.

Article updated in 2017 so these $ numbers are likely much more :

Reactions: Midnighter

Waaaaaaaany

Oct 13, 2021
Try and make them play any way you want....all you're gonna do is create a slew of bowl game first play game ending "injuries"

Reactions: Midnighter

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
Why does the championship matter either? If it’s about personal safety and future earnings, you should sit out no matter is at stake for the team shouldn’t you?
And before people look at me having issue with Porter and others that are doing this, I don’t really. I just don’t really understand the parameters we seem to use to be alright with the decision.

Latest posts