LA vax mandate question

Status
Not open for further replies.

aimeedee

Aug 25, 2017
I went ahead & got J/J for free yesterday , feel great, not saying it’s a flu shot but last vaccine I got was flu in 2001 & it was the last time I was ever that sick for 3-4 days.
Only reason I didn’t get since my immune system is insane I never get sick.

Def didnt wanna cause delays or distractions with our trip so got it
No big deal I def put worse than that in my body lol
The mandates are too much IMO tho
Fight on ✌🏼
I would have suggested Moderna, but J&J is better than nothing.

sctrojan2006

Aug 24, 2017
My relative works at Cedar said things getting better but almost all patients on ventilator were under 30 & unvaccinated.
That is consistent with what my wife is seeing at the hospital where she works. Has your relative seen an increase in aggression and assaults from patients towards hospital staff?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: aimeedee

oldtrojan93

Aug 24, 2017
Per CDC 6% of those COVID related deaths were from the virus only... the other 94% had an average of 2.9 comorbidities. Over 70% of all deaths are from people over 65. The vaccine doesn’t keep you from getting the virus or from spreading it. The vast majority of masks don’t do jack.
This doesn't get repeated enough. It makes little sense to consider this an equal threat to everyone when not everyone is suffering equally or (statistically) at all. This isn't to trivialize what's happening to the elderly, but it seems to me that the fatalities of a "true" pandemic would be more evenly distributed across all age groups. This assuming that the PCR test results, which have driven global policy for the last 20 months, are correct given that its inventor (before his death) has said it was not intended to be used the way it currently is.

I would be interested to know if Anti-body Dependent Enhancement is a real problem going forward for the vaccinated (as some studies suggest), or, if the vaccine actually does permanently lessen the amount of protective anti-bodies in the blood (as a Pfizer linked Dr has suggested on video). The latter, if true, is most disturbing as it would effectively require you to play a losing game - receive a booster to top up the protective antibodies you permanently lost after the first 2 jabs, only to see those protective anti-bodies decrease below where they were before - necessitating another booster shot 6 months hence until you are (effectively, I suspect) no different to an HIV patient.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Last edited:

oldtrojan93

Aug 24, 2017
No -- the vaccine doesn't prevent you from getting or spreading the virus. It does greatly improve your chances of surviving if you get it.
I've seen no data that proves this assertion, but even if we assume you are correct, why do I need the vaccine since any and all benefits accrue only to the vaccinated? By your own admission, your vaccinated status does not protect me from infection. It only (allegedly) lessens the severity of the virus if you get it.

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
I've seen no data that proves this assertion, but even if we assume you are correct, why do I need the vaccine since any and all benefits accrue only to the vaccinated? By your own admission, your vaccinated status does not protect me from infection. It only (allegedly) lessens the severity of the virus if you get it.
Sounds like we need a forensic audit

aimeedee

Aug 25, 2017
1) You've seen no data that proves this assertion? Try upgrading the binoculars: https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/15/health/cdc-covid-risk-higher-unvaccinated/index.html
2) Hospitals are being overrun by un-vaccinated people, to the detriment of everyone else. It becomes society's problem.
3) Without herd immunity, we are all at risk for more virulent strains.

Trojack

Aug 24, 2017
Then why should it be mandatory to watch a football game ?

It shouldn't. That was an over-reach by non-healthcare people with a socio-political axe to grind. If they were intellectually honest about preventing the spread, they would cancel spectators at the games altogether. It's kind of like having to wear a mask except when you are eating and drinking. Like the virus isn't going to be spread while you are eating your cheeseburger???

Last edited:

Trojack

Aug 24, 2017
It should never be mandatory to watch a football game. Not everyone likes football. And, this year, even loyal football fans may not want to watch. :)
I suspended my 46-year season tickets when I started reading all the rules to attend the games. It wouldn't have been any fun to go even if we did put a team on the field.

aimeedee

Aug 25, 2017
I suspended my 46-year season tickets when I started reading all the rules to attend the games. It wouldn't have been any fun to go even if we did put a team on the field.
OK. If I lived anywhere near USC, I'd go. I was just making a joke.

Trojack

Aug 24, 2017
OK. If I lived anywhere near USC, I'd go. I was just making a joke.
I'm not. Lots of fans saw those mandates and said thanks but no thanks. What's worse is that once said, the university didn't enforce them. Another major hit to the university's credibility as if they could afford it.

Gr8ythunter

Aug 24, 2017
It should never be mandatory to watch a football game. Not everyone likes football. And, this year, even loyal football fans may not want to watch. :)
You kind of side stepped the question. However, if you get vax'd but can still get covid and spread covid .... what good does it do to get vax'd ? IF it helps ... as you say if you get covid ...... why should you or anyone care if I get it. Isn't that my choice, to get vax'd or not ?
Vax'd or un vax'd you can get it and spread it. What's the purpose to society if you are vax'd or not ?

aimeedee

Aug 25, 2017
You kind of side stepped the question. However, if you get vax'd but can still get covid and spread covid .... what good does it do to get vax'd ? IF it helps ... as you say if you get covid ...... why should you or anyone care if I get it. Isn't that my choice, to get vax'd or not ?
Vax'd or un vax'd you can get it and spread it. What's the purpose to society if you are vax'd or not ?
1) As I stated before, the "good that it does" is likely prevent you from dying.
2) I care if you get it because I'm not a big fan of anybody getting sick or dying. And, even if I didn't care about you dying, I don't want my loved ones dying because you are unnecessarily taking up resources that could be used on people who need urgent care.
3) Yes -- it is your choice to get vaxxed or not. And it is the venue's choice if they want to host vaxxed people or not.
4) The purpose is, once we get to a significant level of vaccination, we can reach herd immunity. Vaccinations are not a guarantee that you won't get it, but the data still show you are far less likely to get Covid if you are vaxxed. The virus is still able to spread among the vaxxed because they are in contact with the unvaxxed. In areas where that interaction can be controlled, it doesn't spread. So yes, if you are in a venue like a stadium, where EVERYBODY has to be vaccinated or show proof of a negative test, it isn't going to spread. This is a group project. So if you don't want to participate, that's fine. But don't get indignant when businesses. venues, schools decide they don't want you screwing up the project.

aimeedee

Aug 25, 2017
Granted, things have improved in the last few weeks. But, Florida? You must be on an island:

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

Gr8ythunter

Aug 24, 2017
1) As I stated before, the "good that it does" is likely prevent you from dying.
2) I care if you get it because I'm not a big fan of anybody getting sick or dying. And, even if I didn't care about you dying, I don't want my loved ones dying because you are unnecessarily taking up resources that could be used on people who need urgent care.
3) Yes -- it is your choice to get vaxxed or not. And it is the venue's choice if they want to host vaxxed people or not.
4) The purpose is, once we get to a significant level of vaccination, we can reach herd immunity. Vaccinations are not a guarantee that you won't get it, but the data still show you are far less likely to get Covid if you are vaxxed. The virus is still able to spread among the vaxxed because they are in contact with the unvaxxed. In areas where that interaction can be controlled, it doesn't spread. So yes, if you are in a venue like a stadium, where EVERYBODY has to be vaccinated or show proof of a negative test, it isn't going to spread. This is a group project. So if you don't want to participate, that's fine. But don't get indignant when businesses. venues, schools decide they don't want you screwing up the project.
1) Racing motorcycles, cars and boats could kill me too. Should I be allowed to do those things ?
2)See #1
3) True it's my choice. But you have said people (I'm part of people) should get vax'd ... but if I do or don't get vax'd I can still get it.
4) If the vax does not prevent you from getting it OR spreading it how does getting vax'd create herd immunity.

Gr8ythunter

Aug 24, 2017
Granted, things have improved in the last few weeks. But, Florida? You must be on an island:

Don't believe everything you read

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
No -- the vaccine doesn't prevent you from getting or spreading the virus. It does greatly improve your chances of surviving if you get it.
Correct - man, If only ppl actually paid attention in human biology classes...

Their governor screwed them over big time pushing their possible recovery, back another year or more.

SoCal42

Aug 24, 2017
Then why should it be mandatory to watch a football game ?
Exactly…. it shouldn’t be. What about those of us who have had covid and built natural immunity to it? Studies have shown I’m far more protected than someone who never had covid but got two shots. So the school, for the “health of the public”, will admit a person with fewer anti bodies than me just because they carry a card?

I know symptoms vary for everyone but as a young, healthy adult, I felt practically nothing when I had covid. Two days where I lost my sense of smell…that’s it. I worked out, watched movies, didn’t miss a day of work and ordered in Chipotle during my quarantine. If others feel safer getting the vaccination, I’m all for it…that’s their choice. But as someone who has been through it, is healthy and has some immunity to it, I don’t see much benefit for me. Sure, some haven’t had side effects to the vaccination and I’m glad, but I know others have. People close to me that work in the medical field have dealt first hand with multiple healthy young males coming in to the hospital with cardiac issues after getting vaccinated.

So, either I stick with my natural immunity and go about my life OR I get the shot and take the risk of side effects because an LA politician says I’m a danger to others OUTDOORS. Doesn’t make much sense. Guess I’ll skip the Coliseum for another year.

aimeedee

Aug 25, 2017
1) Racing motorcycles, cars and boats could kill me too. Should I be allowed to do those things ?
2)See #1
3) True it's my choice. But you have said people (I'm part of people) should get vax'd ... but if I do or don't get vax'd I can still get it.
4) If the vax does not prevent you from getting it OR spreading it how does getting vax'd create herd immunity.

1) Yes, racing motorcycles, cars and boats could kill you. You are far less likely to die if you wear a helmet or a seat belt. Does the fact that some people will still die, despite wearing helmets/ seat belts mean there is no point in wearing helmets/ seat belts? Of course not.

3) See #1

4) Because the more people who get vaxxed the less likely it is to spread and the more likely to reach herd immunity:

Reactions: StdntBdyRght33

aimeedee

Aug 25, 2017
Don't believe everything you read
Brady Bunch Jan GIF by MOODMAN

aimeedee

Aug 25, 2017
Exactly…. it shouldn’t be. What about those of us who have had covid and built natural immunity to it? Studies have shown I’m far more protected than someone who never had covid but got two shots. So the school, for the “health of the public”, will admit a person with fewer anti bodies than me just because they carry a card?
You realize you also have the option of submitting a negative Covid test, right? So if you don't want to get the vaccine and already have natural immunity, just get the Covid test. Problem solved.

Reactions: sctrojan2006

IETrojanFan

Aug 24, 2017
1. Since my personal (age/health/etc) likelihood of dying from it is very small to begin with (much less actually getting it), that's not a great selling point.
4. See a poster's question above, but I'll repeat it here: If the vaccines don't keep one from contracting it NOR from spreading it, how is herd immunity achieved?
-I am very serious about this last question. My personal experience is that I know many, many people who have gotten covid over the past year (at least 100), and NOT ONE has even had to be hospitalized. And that includes several with cancer and undergoing treatments, diabetics, a few hugely overweight, several very heavy smokers, etc.
-I also know quite a few people who have gotten the vaccine, and many of those have also subsequently gotten covid. I'm talking well north of 50%.

So, I know my personal experience here is small, and yes, it is certainly anecdotal, but it sure doesn't even come CLOSE to what the media and the government is telling me. Something doesn't pass the "eye test" as we say in football (hey, I had to make it relevant to a football forum somehow...)

SoCal42

Aug 24, 2017
Not where I live. Maybe you should move
Same here. Have friends who are doctors and nurses in multiple cities. Not one has said they’ve had issues with limited beds.
You realize you also have the option of submitting a negative Covid test, right? So if you don't want to get the vaccine and already have natural immunity, just get the Covid test. Problem solved.
I realize that but I’m attending a sporting event to get away from everything else and enjoy football, not have a swab stuck up my nose. What happens when I buy a ticket to the game, spend $50 on gas to get there, pay for a test and get a false positive? It’s not uncommon. Will I get refunded? I doubt it. And if I have more anti bodies than a vaccinated person (the whole reason for the vaccine) why should I be tested and not the vaccinated? The whole purpose of the test is to catch positive cases, something even you admitted a vaccinated person can be.

Most people are sick and tired of putting up with these ridiculous mandates that make absolutely no sense. I’d rather attend an away game and not deal with the headache of LA. Very unfortunate because I enjoyed the coliseum atmosphere.

Last edited:

Gr8ythunter

Aug 24, 2017
However, I don't believe everything I read either.
But I do believe my own eyes. Have been to the 2 local hospital ICU's ..... they are not full and not close to being full.
And here is some rebuttal articles (for you and whoever that is in the video) from Florida -

https://www.fox13news.com/news/decrease-in-florida-covid-19-hospitalizations-continues

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/...n-across-florida-and-jacksonville/5569503001/

https://www.wptv.com/coronavirus/florida-covid-19-cases-continue-to-decline

Last edited:

Nate Doggg

Aug 24, 2017
Same - the media here is a total joke. I personally know 2 doctors and 4 nurses - a total of 3 different hospitals amongst them. They all said essentially the same thing - that they were never being "overrun" - some days had fewer beds than others but AT NO TIME were they at capacity or having to turn ANYBODY away. COVID isn't a lie. But the media IS.

aimeedee

Aug 25, 2017
However, I don't believe everything I read either.
But I do believe my own eyes. Have been to the 2 local hospital ICU's ..... they are not full and not close to being full.
And here is some rebuttal articles (for you and whoever that is in the video) from Florida -

https://www.fox13news.com/news/decrease-in-florida-covid-19-hospitalizations-continues
https://www.jacksonville.com/story/...n-across-florida-and-jacksonville/5569503001/

https://www.wptv.com/coronavirus/florida-covid-19-cases-continue-to-declinef
Ummmmm those aren't "rebuttal articles" Those articles reflecting the situation at a more recent date. (And I had already acknowledged in my post that things had improved in the last few weeks.) The fact that hospitals are showing declines, now, doesn't mean there wasn't an urgent capacity problem in Florida. (And part of the reason for the improvement is due to an increase in vaccinations and, of course, the fact that the virus had already raged through Florida.) In your own link, it states: "By comparison, Florida had 15,177 patients hospitalized with COVID-19 on Sept. 1. " So yeah, congrats on the decline, but that doesn't mean Florida hospitals weren't at or near capacity, just last month. That would be like me claiming there was never a crisis at the border because the surge that was there last month has subsided. Sheesh!

As of Aug. 30, 95% of Florida's ICU beds were occupied. The news comes as hospitals across the state are reporting ICUs at or above capacity, with at least nine Central Florida hospitals out of bed space.

Last edited:

aimeedee

Aug 25, 2017
Same - the media here is a total joke. I personally know 2 doctors and 4 nurses - a total of 3 different hospitals amongst them. They all said essentially the same thing - that they were never being "overrun" - some days had fewer beds than others but AT NO TIME were they at capacity or having to turn ANYBODY away. COVID isn't a lie. But the media IS.
"Thuh mediuh" isn't coming up with the numbers. The HOSPITALS are reporting these numbers. Just because "you know a guy" doesn't make your anecdote more valid than the statistics. There are other people on this thread citing wives/relatives in the health care field with different perspectives on Covid than the people you know. We can all claim what we have been told/heard from people we know. But the numbers are the numbers. They come from the Department of Health and Human Services and the CDC and are based on what individual hospitals are reporting.

Last edited:

CrownoftheValley

Aug 24, 2017
Currently in California, according to the official state COVID tracking site, there are a whopping 3,966 people in hospitals with COVID related illness. Of those, an overwhelming 1,056 are in ICU... there are 1,929 more ICU beds available. Currently the daily positive test rates have been in the 1.5% to 2.2% range (with a couple of exceptions) over the past month. In the past year and a half, only 11.4% of the population have tested positive, out of 40 million people with over 97 million tests performed. The numerical mortality rate is 1.534%. 70,150 deaths, of which 6% purely COVID and 94% with an average of 2.9 comorbidities. Why the mandates? The science has never dictated that, only bureaucrats and politicians.

aimeedee

Aug 25, 2017
1. Since my personal (age/health/etc) likelihood of dying from it is very small to begin with (much less actually getting it), that's not a great selling point.
4. See a poster's question above, but I'll repeat it here: If the vaccines don't keep one from contracting it NOR from spreading it, how is herd immunity achieved?
-I am very serious about this last question. My personal experience is that I know many, many people who have gotten covid over the past year (at least 100), and NOT ONE has even had to be hospitalized. And that includes several with cancer and undergoing treatments, diabetics, a few hugely overweight, several very heavy smokers, etc.
-I also know quite a few people who have gotten the vaccine, and many of those have also subsequently gotten covid. I'm talking well north of 50%.

So, I know my personal experience here is small, and yes, it is certainly anecdotal, but it sure doesn't even come CLOSE to what the media and the government is telling me. Something doesn't pass the "eye test" as we say in football (hey, I had to make it relevant to a football forum somehow...)
I appreciate you acknowledging that your personal experience is small and anecdotal. I can cite people who made the same arguments -- I'm healthy and not likely to die -- who have ended up dying. I can share stories of young, healthy people with no risk factories who have died. But that, too, would be anecdotal.

What is relevant are the statistics. The statistics tell us that the people who are dying are overwhelmingly unvaccinated. And, while this is certainly a disease that primarily impacts the elderly and those with risk factors, there has been a trend where younger people are now being hospitalized/dying. Unfortunately, some people won't care until it impacts them personally.

As for the herd immunity, see the link I shared from NPR. It shows modeled simulations of how herd immunity is achieved as more people are vaccinated. Again, even though you can still get Covid if you are vaccinated, the statistics show that you are less likely to get infected if you are vaccinated and, as such, less likely to spread it. The more people who are vaccinated, the less likely it is to spread. Think of a fire blanket. If a someone is in the middle of a forest engulfed by fires, and he shelters under a fire blanket, he probably isn't going to survive. But, if you have a small fire that is surrounded by fire blankets on all sides, the fire blankets likely will defeat the fire. It isn't going to work until we have strength in numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: USCHusbandUCLAWife

aimeedee

Aug 25, 2017
Currently in California, according to the official state COVID tracking site, there are a whopping 3,966 people in hospitals with COVID related illness. Of those, an overwhelming 1,056 are in ICU... there are 1,929 more ICU beds available. Currently the daily positive test rates have been in the 1.5% to 2.2% range (with a couple of exceptions) over the past month. In the past year and a half, only 11.4% of the population have tested positive, out of 40 million people with over 97 million tests performed. The numerical mortality rate is 1.534%. 70,150 deaths, of which 6% purely COVID and 94% with an average of 2.9 comorbidities. Why the mandates? The science has never dictated that, only bureaucrats and politicians.
Soooooo...your point is the mandates and protocols in CA are working? (CA has nearly twice the population of FL, yet their current hospitalization rates are roughly the same. And this is with the highly touted decline in FL hospitalizations.)

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017

So, I know my personal experience here is small, and yes, it is certainly anecdotal, but it sure doesn't even come CLOSE to what the media and the government is telling me. Something doesn't pass the "eye test" as we say in football (hey, I had to make it relevant to a football forum somehow
That is why they publish those charts. So we know your personal experience is wrong

SCthe1

Aug 24, 2021
Like uscfanatics mentioned, no one checked last game at our entrance, Gate 23.
I was checked at the Coliseum last home game, as well as at the Maroon 5 concert at Banc of CA Stadium, at Dodger Stadium for Game 4 vs. the Giants and was informed by email that everyone will be checked tonight at the LA Forum for the Eagles Concert. It's an LA thing and all venues are falling in line with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts