Landon Sims

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
add a 1st round arm and the best closer in the countrry any team and watch the difference.

add paul skenes back to LSU and wonder what they look like.

Reactions: 17itdawg

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
It wouldn't even have to be a Landon Simms or Jonathan Holder level closer.
A Colby White, Cole Gordon or Aaron Nixon level closer would have made us a national seed contender.

Games we've blown:

Saturday: Air Force - Gave up 2 in the 9th, lost 3-2
Wednesday: Austin Peay - Gave up 3 in the 8th & 4 in the 9th, lost 10-13
Tuesday: South Alabama - Gave up 2 in the 9th, lost 6-5
Friday: Florida - Gave up 2 in the 8th & 3 in the 9th, lost 7-6
Sunday: Florida - Gave up 2 in the 9th, lost 4-3
Saturday: Ole Miss - Gave up 4 in the 8th, 1 in the 11th & 2 in the 12th, lost 10-9

Currently we're 27-14 (10-8) and that's 6 total wins and 3 conference wins that we blew late in games.

We'd be 33-8 (13-5) contending for both the SEC title and a National Seed.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
A Colby White, Cole Gordon or Aaron Nixon level closer would have made us a national seed contender.

Games we've blown:

Saturday: Ole Miss - Gave up 4 in the 8th, 1 in the 11th & 2 in the 12th, lost 10-9

Currently we're 27-14 (10-8) and that's 6 total wins and 3 conference wins that we blew late in games.

Now this is the insight I come here for.

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022

Games we've blown:

I had this conversation with a buddy at lunch earlier this week. An average closer and this team is definitely hosting and getting close to the conversation for a top 8 seed. Ultimately someone emerging as a closer(Maybe Hardin or Davis?), or the lack there of could decide Lem's fate.

maroontide06

Dec 14, 2023
I had this conversation with a buddy at lunch earlier this week. An average closer and this team is definitely hosting and getting close to the conversation for a top 8 seed. Ultimately someone emerging as a closer(Maybe Hardin or Davis?), or the lack there of could decide Lem's fate.
Will Dohm ever pitch again this year? If so, you could piece a game 3 together and use him as a closer (possibly in all 3). I reckon that's wishful thinking though. If State were to attempt to make a NCAA tournament run, I would think he would need to be part of that puzzle.

Jan 4, 2024
Close games reveale mental toughness or lack thereof.
I admit I laughed at those giddy after the LSU series considering YTD & the previous 2 years. Color me pleasantly surprised at this point.

Reactions: patdog

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Not having a true closer cost us at least three games off the top of my hea

Games we've blown:

A miracle we didn't lose to New Orleans/

TilloDwg

Aug 25, 2012
What would be happening if Dohm was continuing to close this year and finishes up all those games ? Aren't we in plus territory with him as a closer vs starting half the year and perhaps still healthy also ?

Reactions: M R DAWGS
Jan 4, 2024
What would be happening if Dohm was continuing to close this year and finishes up all those games ? Aren't we in plus territory with him as a closer vs starting half the year and perhaps still healthy a
Most all teams have "Frog with Wings" dreams.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
If we had hitters instead of batters, State could have won more games as well. In college baseball, if your pitching holds a team under 5 runs, you should win the games 8 out of 10 times. They have a freaking metal club in their hands for gosh sakes. The two HRs Vandy hit tonight, our batters would have taken those pitches and swung at balls a foot outside and/or in the dirt.

Jan 4, 2024
Sure...just wanting to see what others think. If Dohm stayed at closer, is he still healthy, and are we in a better spot with that scenario as opposed to him starting and missing half the year ?
Understand your point and it's valid but I'm just sayin" most all teams have similar"what if's ". At the end of the day learn from mistakes, nut up.and finish strong.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
With all the games State has lost late this year, I can’t help but wonder what the record would be if we had a lockdown closer like Landon.
2 hits doesn't win many games no matter who the closer is. With our hitting all they needed though was the 1st pitch of the game to beat us last night

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
What would be happening if Dohm was continuing to close this year and finishes up all those games ? Aren't we in plus territory with him as a closer vs starting half the year and perhaps still healthy also ?
This^^

Turning closers into starters isn’t our strong point. We turn them into ruptured UCL’s.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Watching the game today, I can't help notice the whole Sims look-alike thingy Davis has going on the mound. He's not quite there at the Sims skill level but he's getting there. Our other hero Bednar is still nursing a back issue with the Giants organization. Hope he can come back. His performance against Texas has to be the best sports event in MSU history.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Watching the game today, I can't help notice the whole Sims look-alike thingy Davis has going on the mound. He's not quite there at the Sims skill level but he's getting there. Our other hero Bednar is still nursing a back issue with the Giants organization. Hope he can come back. His performance against Texas has to be the best sports event in MSU history.

I'm kinda partial to his performance against Vanderbilt.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Surprised last year they were trying him as a starter. This guy is a reliever and doing pretty well so far in that role this year.