Lemonis got a memo from the selection committee.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I feel like they are unintentionally admitting that the RPI shouldnt be weighed as heavy as it is, but they are the ones that created this mess. And now they want to threaten teams that are smart enough to see it. 17 the NCAA.
It is weighted way too heavily. But knowing that, if you schedule these games, you should have to live with the consequences.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
I would seriously consider wiping my azz with that memo and canceling the game anyway. They have been letting people do it for years and then the year we may have to do this they send this memo with 75% of the season already played. They have set in motion this RPI monster and I would game the system. 17 em.

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
Where I have a problem with RPI, and I fully admit that I don't understand how it all works, is that a win should never drop your RPI. I understand if it doesnt move the needle forward, but it should never make it go lower. And now with NIL and players and teams changing pretty significantly year to year, a team shouldnt be penalized for playing a low RPI team...potentially a team could go from a decent opponent to a cupcake before the season begins, an then you get punished for it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
And now with NIL and players and teams changing pretty significantly year to year, a team shouldnt be penalized for playing a low RPI team...potentially a team could go from a decent opponent to a cupcake before the season begins, an then you get punished for it.
Those aren't the real cupcakes that kill your RPI. Everyone knows who those schools are and they're not ones that are going to get raided by the transfer portal. North Alabama's RPI last year was 273. Alcorn's was dead last 305. Mount St. Mary was 238. We deserve whatever we get for ever scheduling those games to begin with.

Reactions: 8dog

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Wrong. We should have never scheduled those games to begin with. Good on the NCAA (not often I say that) for putting an end to last minute cancelling games you should have never scheduled.
Then why haven’t they done it all year? Many teams have cancelled games they never should have scheduled.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Then why haven’t they done it all year? Many teams have cancelled games they never should have scheduled.
Correct. It's too late to come up with this bullshiit statement now, after others have done it this very year. You cancel this game and say "you should've told us this before the season." Then dare them to leave out a team with an RPI in the 20's.

OM ended up winning a national championship by canceling a game.

But you know we will end up playing it now. We're such nice guys.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Correct. It's too late to come up with this bullshiit statement now, after others have done it this very year. You cancel this game and say "you should've told us this before the season." Then dare them to leave out a team with an RPI in the 20's.

OM ended up winning a national championship by canceling a game.

But you know we will end up playing it now. We're such nice guys.
Agree. This memo should have come out last July. Or this July. But it's still the right thing in the long run. Cancelling games at the last minute that you never should have scheduled in the first place is bullsh*t too. Hopefully, this puts a stop to it once and for all and we see some better OOC scheduling from everyone going forward.

Reactions: The Peeper

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Agree. This memo should have come out last July. Or this July. But it's still the right thing in the long run. Cancelling games at the last minute that you never should have scheduled in the first place is bullsh*t too. Hopefully, this puts a stop to it once and for all and we see some better OOC scheduling from everyone going forward.
No doubt, we shouldn't schedule them from now on. But the RPI is so fluid, and with the other non-cons we lost earlier, you just can't risk playing it this year, unless we go like 8-2 in the other games or something. Which seems fairly unlikely.

patdog

May 28, 2007
No doubt, we shouldn't schedule them from now on. But the RPI is so fluid, and with the other non-cons we lost earlier, you just can't risk playing it this year, unless we go like 8-2 in the other games or something. Which seems fairly unlikely.
I think the committee has put us and other schools on notice that you'd be better off losing to UNA than cancelling the game. I don't think this game will decide if we host or not anyway. I think it takes at least 7-3, and maybe 8-2, in the other 10 with or without the UNA game. We'll know more Sunday. Lose 2 to Bama and it's probably all moot anyway.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I think the committee has put us and other schools on notice that you'd be better off losing to UNA than cancelling the game. I don't think this game will decide if we host or not anyway. I think it takes at least 7-3, and maybe 8-2, in the other 10 with or without the UNA game. We'll know more Sunday. Lose 2 to Bama and it's probably all moot anyway.
That may be their intention, but consider me skeptical that Mississippi State should trust any NCAA entity to follow through... Imagine the selection committee room after we've gone 7-4 the rest of the way, and our RPI has dropped precipitously to 43 in the last week of the season:

"Come on fellas, I know their RPI is low, but remember when followed our orders that time? They went ahead and played that RPI-destroying game even though no one else in P5 would have? They are such nice guys. Let's give them a ticket to the dance over RPI #29 Utah."

Ain't happening.

Reactions: eckie1

patdog

May 28, 2007
That may be their intention, but consider me skeptical that Mississippi State should trust any NCAA entity to follow through... Imagine the selection committee room after we've gone 7-4 the rest of the way, and our RPI has dropped precipitously to 43 in the last week of the season:

"Come on fellas, I know their RPI is low, but remember when followed our orders that time? They went ahead and played that RPI-destroying game even though no one else in P5 would have? They are such nice guys. Let's give them a ticket to the dance over RPI #29 Utah."

Ain't happening.
I don't really disagree with you. I honestly don't think it matters much if we play that game or not, memo or no memo. Like you say, if we go 8-2 in the other 10 games, we're probably hosting either way. If we go 6-4, we're not.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Where I have a problem with RPI, and I fully admit that I don't understand how it all works, is that a win should never drop your RPI. I understand if it doesnt move the needle forward, but it should never make it go lower. And now with NIL and players and teams changing pretty significantly year to year, a team shouldnt be penalized for playing a low RPI team...potentially a team could go from a decent opponent to a cupcake before the season begins, an then you get punished for it.
RPI is in part an incentive to schedule good teams. I think for tournament selection purposes, it'd be nice to be able to drop some number of wins to determine your RPI for tournament purposes. Maybe 3? That way you can get away with scheduling one ****** series or three weekday games and as long as you win them, it doesn't hurt you to play them. Also would be a way to let schools throw a bone to places like JSU and Valley and also cut down on traveling costs by making it easier for crappy teams to play schools close to them that otherwise wouldn't want to take the RPI hit.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
The dropped games and such... i just flat disagree with.

This is ALL we had to do and we'd not be worried about this:
1. Not scheduled the SWAC schools
2. Played 1 weekend in a neutral or road setting in the pre SEC schedule

This is way too easy to do. Play a home and home with Southern Miss. Play a home and home with Samford instead of the swac schools. UAB home and home. Dip down into Lousiana and play any of those teams. These are all short bus rides

Their are countless teams that would drool over bringing an SEC team to their tournament or venue to play an OOC series or Tournament.... early in the season... All we have to do is pick one.

We are all pointing finger over a memo... when the finger should be pointed at the DA's that made the schedule. Again at this point it isnt rocket science to know to effectively schedule in regards to RPI, and its widely known how important RPI is in baseball. Stupid on us period.

Reactions: NukeDogg and patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
RPI is in part an incentive to schedule good teams. I think for tournament selection purposes, it'd be nice to be able to drop some number of wins to determine your RPI for tournament purposes. Maybe 3? That way you can get away with scheduling one ****** series or three weekday games and as long as you win them, it doesn't hurt you to play them. Also would be a way to let schools throw a bone to places like JSU and Valley and also cut down on traveling costs by making it easier for crappy teams to play schools close to them that otherwise wouldn't want to take the RPI hit.
They are opportunities to get some pitchers some innings too. However, that may not really matter, since they can go to summer leagues and ‘develop’.

The college season is about winning.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
It’s also an incentive to go on the road which we flat refused to do the four OOC weekends.

Reactions: patdog

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
Who made this schedule? Cohen before he left? If so, we shouldn’t be penalized or made to adhere to that piece of sh*t’s decisions.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It is weighted way too heavily. But knowing that, if you schedule these games, you should have to live with the consequences.

The fault is still the 17'n NCAA. Everything doesn't have to be directed at an athletic department person you dislike.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It's the NCAA's fault we schedule sh!tty games. Got it. **

Everybody plays some games against weak teams for multiple reasons. It's the NCAA's fault for relying too heavily on a rating system with clear weaknesses when better ones are obviously available.

All the stupid **** that schools do after that to game that system is the fault of the NCAA.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
It's the NCAA's fault we schedule sh!tty games. Got it. **
Came here to say the exact same, NCAA forced us to schedule those losses to mighty Central AR, Austin Peay (2), and GA Southern