Lemonis just isn't going to get it done

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
Here we are again RPI watching and playing out scenarios where we can get just enough wins to make the tournament. This isn't State baseball, and there are still just too many problems that are going to prevent the program from getting back to being respected.

HS recruiting - I see the recruiting rankings, but I don't see the results on the field. Either the staff is poor at evaluation, or they are poor at developing. They could be poor at both.

Portal - Major fail. Lemonis has gotten essentially one good Portal player per year, and the rest shouldn't be on an SEC roster.

Scheduling - This season's schedule stinks. There's no excuse for it, either. The staff should know how this works by now, but they put out a high risk/low reward schedule. Scheduling Mt St Mary instead of a P5 on the road was just dumb.

Hitting development - Name a player in the Lemonis era that left State a much better hitter than when they arrived. His best hitters showed up to campus as good hitters.

Game management - Leaving pitchers in when it's obvious they don't have it. Starting an inexperienced LH DH against a LHP MULTIPLE times. Not willing to make any lineup changes, even when your leadoff guy is hitting .170 in conference. He just doesn't have a feel for the game.

Hitting approach - What even is our hitting approach? Take 2 strikes, pound your chest, and swing as hard as possible? There is just too much selfishness in our hitting approach. I'd like to know how many times we have had runners in scoring position with less than 2 outs, and the batter failed to put the ball in play. More often than not, its the heart of the lineup. If we aren't striking out, we are just pounding ground ball righ into the shift.

Roster transparency - Look, I get it that Lemonis can only say so much about an injury, but it seems like he goes out of his way to mislead everyone about players who are MIA. Every year, players just stop seeing the field, and there's no explanation provided. Players are injured for weeks, and Lemonis just says they are "close" over and over. Simmons, Cupp, Pico, Highfill , Dohm, Loftin, and Ligon have all missed games or just disappeared, and the explanation has been either vague, non-existent, or completely misleading.

Roster depth - Doesn't exist. Our finish this year really doesn't matter. Lemonis isn't building. He's demolishing.

Lemonis corrected some things this season, but there are still some of the same issues. Despite the improvement, there just aren't any indications that the program should continue with him. There is just a lack of attention to detail in too many areas. The last thing I want for the program is another coaching change, but this just isn't working.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I'm not reading all that.

Jordan is a better hitter than he was last year. No question. If you're wrong on that, you're probably wrong on a lot of other ****.

And if we'd won the extra inning game Saturday you wouldn't have made this post.

On to Auburn, who is much better than that SEC record. Brutal schedule.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Pardon my ignorance, but who’s really responsible for the OOC schedule in baseball? Is it the head coach or the AD? Shouldnt we be blaming Cohen for the shıtty schedule since it was (mostly) finalized during his tenure?

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
I'm not reading all that.

Jordan is a better hitter than he was last year. No question. If you're wrong on that, you're probably wrong on a lot of other ****.

And if we'd won the extra inning game Saturday you wouldn't have made this post.

On to Auburn, who is much better than that SEC record. Brutal schedule.
"I'm not reading that, but I disagree"

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
Pardon my ignorance, but who’s really responsible for the OOC schedule in baseball? Is it the head coach or the AD? Shouldnt we be blaming Cohen for the shıtty schedule since it was (mostly) finalized during his tenure?
My understanding is that with a few minor exceptions that both the baseball & basketball coaches take care of the respective OOC schedules.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I'll play

1) recruting rankings dont matter to me. But yes it seems as though we are missing on talent
2) portal- yes he stinks at it. People here claim its not due to NIL, i disagree, I think we are being outbid
3) schedule- agree with. The non conference schedule should have never been allowed
4) hitting development- i disagree with. Tanner Allen didnt take a major step? Just to name 1.
5) game management- hard to say. When we had good starting pitching and sims in the pen, he managed it quiet fine. Its like someone said.. a good bullpen makes a manager look smart.. a bad pen makes em look stupid. We havent had a good pen in a while
6) hitting approach- disagree. Most everyone now as the same approach. Strike outs are part of the game. get use to it.
7) Hippa laws keep him from disclosing certain things about injuries. Also its dumb to just let out info to allow other teams to know who might or might not be available.
8) roster depth- see points 1 and 2

Reactions: patdog

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Abandon all hope! Ye who enter

I stopped reading long posts about baseball last season. Is it gonna be three years without any real solid improvement? We'll see.

Reactions: Fishsqeezer

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

"Lemonis just isn't going to get it done" is one of the dumbest things you could say about him. He literally got it done with a pitching staff that had like 4 working arms.

It hasn't been the "dumbest thing you could say about him" if said before the last 3 seasons........

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
I really want Lemonis to be successful, but fear that we are headed in a bad direction.
My primary gripes are:
(1) This 17'ing bullpen for the 3rd consecutive year! There have been injuries but you have to assume pitching injuries in 2024. We have several pitchers on our weekend roster that no business playing Power 5 baseball. Davis & Schuelke have been our best relievers and they are at best match-up guys.
(2)Situational hitting - it is at best a 50/50 proposition when we have a runner on 3rd with one out and the middle of our order batting because
(3) There is way too much swing & miss with our alleged stars in the middle of the order in the situations in 2.
(4) Bigger Picture issue is Talent Evaluation. We have a lot of kids that cannot play at this level - some in the program multiple years, you gotta cut the chord with those guys and find a player to replace them.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Here we are again RPI watching and playing out scenarios where we can get just enough wins to make the tournament. This isn't State baseball, and there are still just too many problems that are going to prevent the program from getting back to being respected.

HS recruiting - I see the recruiting rankings, but I don't see the results on the field. Either the staff is poor at evaluation, or they are poor at developing. They could be poor at both.

Portal - Major fail. Lemonis has gotten essentially one good Portal player per year, and the rest shouldn't be on an SEC roster.

Scheduling - This season's schedule stinks. There's no excuse for it, either. The staff should know how this works by now, but they put out a high risk/low reward schedule. Scheduling Mt St Mary instead of a P5 on the road was just dumb.

Hitting development - Name a player in the Lemonis era that left State a much better hitter than when they arrived. His best hitters showed up to campus as good hitters.

Game management - Leaving pitchers in when it's obvious they don't have it. Starting an inexperienced LH DH against a LHP MULTIPLE times. Not willing to make any lineup changes, even when your leadoff guy is hitting .170 in conference. He just doesn't have a feel for the game.

Hitting approach - What even is our hitting approach? Take 2 strikes, pound your chest, and swing as hard as possible? There is just too much selfishness in our hitting approach. I'd like to know how many times we have had runners in scoring position with less than 2 outs, and the batter failed to put the ball in play. More often than not, its the heart of the lineup. If we aren't striking out, we are just pounding ground ball righ into the shift.

Roster transparency - Look, I get it that Lemonis can only say so much about an injury, but it seems like he goes out of his way to mislead everyone about players who are MIA. Every year, players just stop seeing the field, and there's no explanation provided. Players are injured for weeks, and Lemonis just says they are "close" over and over. Simmons, Cupp, Pico, Highfill , Dohm, Loftin, and Ligon have all missed games or just disappeared, and the explanation has been either vague, non-existent, or completely misleading.

Roster depth - Doesn't exist. Our finish this year really doesn't matter. Lemonis isn't building. He's demolishing.

Lemonis corrected some things this season, but there are still some of the same issues. Despite the improvement, there just aren't any indications that the program should continue with him. There is just a lack of attention to detail in too many areas. The last thing I want for the program is another coaching change, but this just isn't working.
Welcome to April 2023.

Reactions: Seinfeld

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
The baseball staff does the baseball schedule.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I really want Lemonis to be successful, but fear that we are headed in a bad direction.
My primary gripes are:
(1) This 17'ing bullpen for the 3rd consecutive year! There have been injuries but you have to assume pitching injuries in 2024. We have several pitchers on our weekend roster that no business playing Power 5 baseball. Davis & Schuelke have been our best relievers and they are at best match-up guys.
(2)Situational hitting - it is at best a 50/50 proposition when we have a runner on 3rd with one out and the middle of our order batting because
(3) There is way too much swing & miss with our alleged stars in the middle of the order in the situations in 2.
(4) Bigger Picture issue is Talent Evaluation. We have a lot of kids that cannot play at this level - some in the program multiple years, you gotta cut the chord with those guys and find a player to replace them.

#4 is a big deal.

Like i posted somewhere else, gotta let em go. People on this team that shouldnt be back next season:

1. Downs/Chance- They are the same player. 1 stays. 1 goes
2. Chester
3. Spolitta- if he isnt better than Long and Powell, needs to go
4. Holcombe
5. Forsythe
6. KK Clark

Larry, Powell, Koehler-- should all not be allowed to use their covid seasons to return.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012

"Lemonis just isn't going to get it done" is one of the dumbest things you could say about him. He literally got it done with a pitching staff that had like 4 working arms.

Yes we won an NC in 2021 but that does not guarantee him lifetime employment. So what did he do with that natty? Did he build off of it to advance the program? NO he didn't. He promptly put not one but TWO absolute stinkers on the field that both posted single digit SEC wins and missed postseason. This year is better but still not where we should be THREE years after winning a natty. I am not in favor of moving on because we crapped the bed against a bad UM team on a single weekend. I am for moving on because of the totality of the last three years and the things I see in this team that, while better, still indicate a poorly coached team. By his own stated expectations, he should have been canned after last season and so far I don't see enough improvement this season to change that opinion.

Reactions: PhredPhantom

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
For whatever it's worth...

I'm reminded of my HS baseball experience. My first 3 years we didn't make the playoffs. However we had the best coach. Super knowledgeable, Organized, and efficient practices. These practices were amazing and got the max reps for everyone offensively, defensively and for pitchers and catchers. However we still didn't make the playoffs my first 3 years.

This awesome coach leaves for a better job. The next coach that came in, ran a little league practice but had a bunch of seniors. This slug coach Started practice with taking infield and the remaining time was hitting on the field with others shagging balls and playing grab ***. No specific time for pitchers and catchers. They got their work in BP. We made the playoffs that year based on talent alone and made it to the north half. I think we win one more game at least if the previous coach stayed but oh well... this HS didn't go back to the playoffs for many many years until after the slug was gone.

Point, sometimes it is the talent. Lemonis walked into a lot of talent.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
How much would it cost the athletic department to pay you to put on a clinic to teach our coaches things like left-on-left matchups?

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Point, sometimes it is the talent. Lemonis walked into a lot of talent.
Outside of Tanner Allen and Rowdey Jordan, please name (first and last) the major contributors to the 2021 national title team that were on the roster when Lemonis was hired in June of 2018.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

I wanted Lemonis to work. I wanted a stable program at MSU. We have had bad years, but he has to show some consistency in coaching a game that is 7 - 3 in the 8th, with six outs remaining, even on the road. Why did we wait until they had scored three runs to even get someone up in the bullpen? Either he did not know how to handle the situation, or we did not have any more options in the pen, which is even more damning.

I still hope he can pull this out, and that my opinion means squat, but that example of coaching that particular situation in the middle of April gives me little confidence in his ability to coach for MSU for the rest of this season or our future.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Outside of Tanner Allen and Rowdey Jordan, please name (first and last) the major contributors to the 2021 national title team that were on the roster when Lemonis was hired in June of 2018.
Probably have to count the recruits that were coming here already or signed already as part of the group he inherited.

Which would include:
McCleod- Friday night starter
Smith- Key pen arm
Cernatola
Hancock- 3 hole hitter
Cumbest

On Top of Allen/Rowdy

Think he also inherited Hatcher and Self.

Not a bad core to inherit.

Last edited:

Arnept

Nov 26, 2023
Rowdey and Tanner are too big to exclude in your narrative. Tanner was a top 5 player in college baseball in 2021.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Rowdey and Tanner are too big to exclude in your narrative. Tanner was a top 5 player in college baseball in 2021.
So you agree that the two players that Lemonis inherited that contributed to a national title in 2021 are TA and Rowdey? I just want to get the facts straight. Because people throw around the claim that Lemonis won the national title with the personnel he inherited as if a majority of the major contributors were on the roster when he was hired. But you're saying it was just TA and Rowdey? We should clear this up for everybody. It shouldn't be very difficult to verify.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
So you agree that the two players that Lemonis inherited that contributed to a national title in 2021 are TA and Rowdey? I just want to get the facts straight. Because people throw around the claim that Lemonis won the national title with the personnel he inherited as if a majority of the major contributors were on the roster when he was hired. But you're saying it was just TA and Rowdey? We should clear this up for everybody. It shouldn't be very difficult to verify.
Which would include: Kids that were signed prior to Lemonis getting here.

Smith- Key pen arm
Cernatola
Hancock- 3 hole hitter
Cumbest

On Top of Allen/Rowdy

In total: 2 weekend arms, your 1-2-3 hitters in the order, 2 key pen arms, 2 other guys that started a large portion of that season in Cumbest and Hatcher.

Reactions: Arnept and patdog

Arnept

Nov 26, 2023
Lemonis may not have "inherited" the 2021 team, but he did not recruit most of the players on that team. Most who made an impact were Cannizaro/Cohen recruits.

Simply put, Lemonis did not evaluate the talent on that team, someone before him did.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Which would include: Kids that were signed prior to Lemonis getting here.

Smith- Key pen arm
Cernatola
Hancock- 3 hole hitter
Cumbest

On Top of Allen/Rowdy

In total: 2 weekend arms, your 1-2-3 hitters in the order, 2 key pen arms, 2 other guys that started a large portion of that season in Cumbest and Hatcher.
He didn't inherit players that weren't on the 2018 roster. Every player committed/signed when we made a coaching change had the option to go elsewhere. They chose to play for Lemonis at State starting 2019 or later.

Self didn't see action after the second SEC weekend in 2021 due to injury. Hatcher lost his starting job during the 2021 season* and transferred to Kennesaw State.

The idea that Lemonis doesn't deserve credit for the roster in June 2021 after being hired in June 2018 is asinine.

*-This board was ready to fire Lemonis during the 2021 season because he didn't bench Hatcher soon enough.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
He didn't inherit players that weren't on the 2018 roster. Every player committed/signed when we made a coaching change had the option to go elsewhere. They chose to play for Lemonis at State starting 2019 or later.

Self didn't see action after the second SEC weekend in 2021 due to injury. Hatcher lost his starting job during the 2021 season* and transferred to Kennesaw State.

*-This board was ready to fire Lemonis during the 2021 season because he didn't bench Hatcher soon enough.
You want to split hairs go ahead.

When Lemonis got here.. I'm sure he was handed something that said, this is the roster, here is who we have coming in.

All the guys i listed above are guys that would be on that list handed to him.... and its a big core group.

Using your argument that anyone could have left-- why not give him credit for bringing back Rowdy and TA. They could have left too.

Reactions: Fishsqeezer

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I disagree with your premise that he inherited players who arrived after he was hired, but your list doesn't even include two weekend and two key pen arms. MacLeod was a weekend starter. B. Smith was a weekend reliever. Self didn't pitch after March 26th, and Cerantola didn't pitch in the NCAA tournament.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
You want to split hairs go ahead.

When Lemonis got here.. I'm sure he was handed something that said, this is the roster, here is who we have coming in.

All the guys i listed above are guys that would be on that list handed to him.... and its a big core group.

Using your argument that anyone could have left-- why not give him credit for bringing back Rowdy and TA. They could have left too.
I'm afraid you're the one splitting hairs if you're saying he doesn't deserve credit for his roster in year three because a previous coach recruited a player who ultimately showed up to campus with Lemonis as the head coach.

Of course, Rowdey and TA could have left. Any player could have left after 2018, 2019 and 2020. That is why I think it is asinine to dismiss Lemonis winning our first national title in year three because he inherited the roster, which is factually incorrect.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The idea that Lemonis doesn't deserve credit for the roster in June 2021 after being hired in June 2018 is asinine.
as is the idea that he gets to stay after this year after the last two dumpster fire years and this one. Injuries, transfers/portal, NIL, whatever, if he gets credit for '21 he damn sure gets blame for '22, '23, and '24.

Arnept

Nov 26, 2023
I disagree with your premise that he inherited players who arrived after he was hired, but your list doesn't even include two weekend and two key pen arms. MacLeod was a weekend starter. B. Smith was a weekend reliever. Self didn't pitch after March 26th, and Cerantola didn't pitch in the NCAA tournament.
You can bicker about his role in winning the NC in 2021. Fact of the matter is, he needs to go currently. He's been abysmal since then at a college baseball blue blood.

And if you aren't on the fire Lemonis train, you're going to get left at the station.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

Yes I know Self and Cerantola didnt have large roles. But they were guys that did have large roles prior to that year and guys that he could lean on and build around.

Even taking those away... Half your 1/2 punch on the mound. A reliable bullpen arm. Your 1-2-3 spots in the order. And 2 guys that combined for 75 starts.

Basically half your position players, 1 of your 2 studs on the mound, And another key reliever. Is a solid group to inherit.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
as is the idea that he gets to stay after this year after the last two dumpster fire years and this one. Injuries, transfers/portal, NIL, whatever, if he gets credit for '21 he damn sure gets blame for '22, '23, and '24.
Absolutely, I hold him 100% responsible for 2022, 2023, and 2024. But anyone saying he doesn't deserve credit for 2021 is clearly being emotional and not interacting with reality on a consistent basis.

It's like when you do a lot of nice things for your girlfriend, and then she is mad at you for something else. She will find reasons to discredit you for all the nice things you did. Fans are often more emotional than an emotional girlfriend.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I'm afraid you're the one splitting hairs if you're saying he doesn't deserve credit for his roster in year three because a previous coach recruited a player who ultimately showed up to campus with Lemonis as the head coach.

Of course, Rowdey and TA could have left. Any player could have left after 2018, 2019 and 2020. That is why I think it is asinine to dismiss Lemonis winning our first national title in year three because he inherited the roster, which is factually incorrect.
I'm not trying to split hairs here. You said name players that contributed to the national championship team. I stated that its only fair IMO, since Lemo was named as coach in June and its nearly impossible to change that close to school starting..... that the players that were already signed be counted as guys he inherited.

Because again-- Im sure he was handed a roster and said, here's who we got coming back, heres who we got coming in.

To me: Thats inheriting players. And all the guys I named above... were on that list.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
To use the bill parcells theory:

Lemomis deserves credit for baking the cake. Even shopping for a lot of the ingredients for that cake. But some key pieces to making that cake were already in the kitchen before he arrived.

You seem to want to say the baking part of the cake was the most important part, others say the ingredients are. Both have merits to being right.

Reactions: RopeDawg

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I'm not trying to split hairs here. You said name players that contributed to the national championship team. I stated that its only fair IMO, since Lemo was named as coach in June and its nearly impossible to change that close to school starting..... that the players that were already signed be counted as guys he inherited.

Because again-- Im sure he was handed a roster and said, here's who we got coming back, heres who we got coming in.

To me: Thats inheriting players. And all the guys I named above... were on that list.
Here are some players that even you don't claim Lemonis inherited:
Will Bednar
Landon Sims
Logan Tanner
Kamren James
Kellum Clark
Scotty Dubrule
Preston Johnson
Houston Harding
Jackson Fristoe
Lane Forsythe
Tanner Leggett
Stone Simmons
Parker Stinnett
Chase Patrick
Cade Smith
Cam Tullar
KC Hunt

All those players recorded an out as a pitcher or a hit as a hitter in the 2021 NCAA tournament. Two of the players you mentioned did not.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Here are some players that even you don't claim Lemonis inherited:
Will Bednar
Landon Sims
Logan Tanner
Kamren James
Kellum Clark
Scotty Dubrule
Preston Johnson
Houston Harding
Jackson Fristoe
Lane Forsythe
Tanner Leggett
Stone Simmons
Parker Stinnett
Chase Patrick
Cade Smith
Cam Tullar
KC Hunt

All those players recorded an out as a pitcher or a hit as a hitter in the 2021 NCAA tournament. Two of the players you mentioned did not.

Again I'm not sure what you are arguing: you asked a question... i answered it. I haven't argued anything else.

You said name the players that were inherited by Lemonis that played a role in the national champion team. I did that

4 or 5 starters of your 9 starters on that national championship team-- 3 of them being your 1-2-3 hitters
1 of your 2 studs on the mound
1 key bullpen arm
2 other players that were key members of the programs and draft picks

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

Sometimes I think that a lot of you would gladly put up with a wife that berates, abuses, and cheats on you as long as she gave you one good honeymoon in Barbados

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
Josh Hatcher, Riley Self, & Kam James was a legacy. He signed with MSU because his brother Keegan was already here pre-Lemonis.
Several more of the younger guys on the 21 team committed to Cannizoro or even Cohen. Remember also that Gautreau is a holdover for Cannizoro's staff, so Lemonis staff did recruit most of them.
I feel like the 2020 would have been in Omaha if the season had not been cancelled which would make this conversation even more challenging.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

Leodawg1990

Oct 4, 2023

I love you😂 thank you for putting my thoughts in reading form’!!

jackbaddawg

Nov 16, 2005
We should have won so many games that we've lost this season because our pitchers haven't been able to close games after we have a lead and our hitting lineup has only a few good hitters in it- I don't believe there's going to be a quick fix for these things with not much of this season left . Lemonis just hasn't recruited well enough to keep us on top of the SEC where Mississippi State is used to being . His time is coming to an end here .