Looking back at Hunter Hines.......

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Dude is hitting 282, 832 with 9 bombs. Same exact hitter he was the last two years, with more tape on him.

I'm leery of these single sport, overcoached freshmen who come right in and put up solid numbers immediately. Decent to good players for us, for sure. But don't expect them to make a big jump and evolve into a star, even if they get the hype out of high school.

Not saying I don't want Hines on our team, he's obviously valuable. But so many were expecting a thunder and lightning type year from he and Jordan.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
No one expected a thunder and lightning type year on here that I recall but you.

Hines will still put up 15-20 homers.

He went thru a brutal early season slump, but in SEC play is hitting the exact same as Jordan from a metrics standpoint with more HRs.

He's fine. Bring me 7 players just like him every year out of high school. Will win a lot of games

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I'm leery of these single sport, overcoached freshmen who come right in and put up solid numbers immediately. Decent to good players for us, for sure. But don't expect them to make a big jump and evolve into a star, even if they get the hype out of high school.
Braden Montgomery would like a word....

same high school. same coach. same hype. Developed into quiet the star.

Reactions: Anon1664516582

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Braden Montgomery would like a word....

same high school. same coach. same hype. Developed into quiet the star.
Montgomery is more of an athlete. That's kinda the point, had more upside, like Jordan. I don't know if he played football, but his dad did, so the pedigree is there. He's a two-way guy too, that's even more evidence of that.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Montgomery is more of an athlete. That's kinda the point, had more upside, like Jordan. I don't know if he played football, but his dad did, so the pedigree is there. He's a two-way guy too, that's even more evidence of that.
Wont go around hte circle again... plenty of 1 sport stars develop and do just fine at this level.

Also nothing wrong coming in as a fresh and being productive and staying productive thru 3-4 years of your career. If your already good coming in.. your not going to make a huge jump. Which is fine.

Give me a bunch of guys like Hines. Every year out of high school. Guys that have played a lot of baseball against tough competition and were successful.

Reactions: BassinDawg.sixpack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Wont go around hte circle again... plenty of 1 sport stars develop and do just fine at this level.

Also nothing wrong coming in as a fresh and being productive and staying productive thru 3-4 years of your career. If your already good coming in.. your not going to make a huge jump. Which is fine.

Give me a bunch of guys like Hines. Every year out of high school. Guys that have played a lot of baseball against tough competition and were successful.
The point is trying to find those 330+ type guys, or a combo of them, that can literally carry your season.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Hines just does not pass the eye test for me. He strikes out way too much in RBI situations in the 4 hole. Jordan is approaching that territory as well. Way, way too many Ks from those two hitting in prime RBI spots.
Ks are not the end of the world, if you are getting production from them the rest of the time. We are getting that from Jordan, not as much from Hines. Last couple of years were better for Hines.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Ks are not the end of the world, if you are getting production from them the rest of the time. We are getting that from Jordan, not as much from Hines. Last couple of years were better for Hines.
Their stats are basically identical in SEC play. Like basically the same category for category.

The point is trying to find those 330+ type guys, or a combo of them, that can literally carry your season.

Those guys are hard to find. Even on our national championship team. Allen was the only guy that fit that mold.

Hines is a career 295 hitter whose OPS is nearly 1000, and someone that even if the season ended today.. would average 15 homers and 50 rbis over his past 3 seasons... those averages will only go up as the season still has another 20 or so games.

Again sign me up for 7 of those guys every year out of high school. Would much rather have the guy that can step on campus and produce 3 seasons, than the guy that is a bust or has to make a huge leap to be slightly better.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
To go a step farther:

Since 2013 (10 seasons) we've only had 3 guys with 330+ averages and 10+ homers

2021- Allen
2019- Foscue
2017- Rooker

Jordan likely becoming the 4th this season.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
To go a step farther:

Since 2013 (10 seasons) we've only had 3 guys with 330+ averages and 10+ homers

2021- Allen
2019- Foscue
2017- Rooker

Jordan likely becoming the 4th this season.
Those were pretty good seasons, wouldn't you say? 2013 was great too, with Renfroe carrying that bunch.

Mangum banging out 350 plus was pretty nice for the 2016-2019 teams. Lowe was another that produced at a high clip, along with others in that 2016 lineup.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Those were pretty good seasons, wouldn't you say? 2013 was great too, with Renfroe carrying that bunch.

Mangum banging out 350 plus was pretty nice for the 2016-2019 teams. Lowe was another that produced at a high clip, along with others in that 2016 lineup.
yeah mangum the 1 sport star guy that never improved, who steppd on to campus day 1 and produced. Sucks he never got any better.

Reactions: Anon1664516582

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012
Dude is hitting 282, 832 with 9 bombs. Same exact hitter he was the last two years, with more tape on him.

Not saying I don't want Hines on our team, he's obviously valuable. But so many were expecting a thunder and lightning type year from he and Jordan.
Hines played football and was a good lineman for Madison Central. He quit for his senior year and appears to have lost a bunch of weight trying to become more mobile. But, he was not just a one sport athlete.
Highfill also played football at Madison Central and was a really good running back. He also did not play football his senior year.
Montgomery was a one sport athlete. He trained like crazy - for baseball skill and athletic skill. Both his parents were college athletes. He was the prototypical trained up one sport kid. But, he also is a really strong athlete that happens to have focused on one sport.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
yeah mangum the 1 sport star guy that never improved, who steppd on to campus day 1 and produced. Sucks he never got any better.
You don't understand. It doesn't matter if you don't get better if you are hitting 400. I don't think you understand the argument here, might need to reread my first post when I'm talking about solid numbers that get people excited for later. Kellum Clark was another example of this. He got better, but never made the elite jump.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Maybe if Hines would have hit in those games, we wouldn't have lost and could probably be in a position to host.
Hines was 6 for 22 with a HR and 6 RBI's in the games that we lost below
Jordan was 5 for 23 with a HR and 4 RBI's

Anything else?

Air Force
Austin Peay
Austin Peay
Ga Southern
So Ala
Central Ark

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Hines played football and was a good lineman for Madison Central. He quit for his senior year and appears to have lost a bunch of weight trying to become more mobile. But, he was not just a one sport athlete.
Highfill also played football at Madison Central and was a really good running back. He also did not play football his senior year.
Montgomery was a one sport athlete. He trained like crazy - for baseball skill and athletic skill. Both his parents were college athletes. He was the prototypical trained up one sport kid. But, he also is a really strong athlete that happens to have focused on one sport.
Really blows the OPs arguement

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Highfill is an athlete, no doubt on him.

There are ways to get around the specialization part. It's just an indicator. If Montgomery trains for athleticism, then there's no need to play another sport (unless he just wants to).

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You don't understand. It doesn't matter if you don't get better if you are hitting 400. I don't think you understand the argument here, might need to reread my first post when I'm talking about solid numbers that get people excited for later. Kellum Clark was another example of this. He got better, but never made the elite jump.
but he didnt get better he got worse.

Mangum went from 400, to 320, 350, 360...

Hines goes from 16 homers to 22 and now if he finishes the season with 15 he'll be a bust in your eyes.

So mangum is ok to take a step back because he's still got the high BA you covet. But if hines ends up with 15 homers. Its still a very good season.. will be considered someone that we should be leery of moving forward because he didnt get better...

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Hines was 6 for 22 with a HR and 6 RBI's in the games that we lost below
Jordan was 5 for 23 with a HR and 4 RBI's

Anything else?

Air Force
Austin Peay
Austin Peay
Ga Southern
So Ala
Central Ark
I was just going by your numbers. I should have known not to do that. A quick look at the SEC only stats shows Jordan hitting 319 and Hines hitting 286.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I was just going by your numbers. I should have known not to do that. A quick look at the SEC only stats shows Jordan hitting 319 and Hines hitting 286.
OK. I guess this sums up the conversation.

You do realize that batting average is basically a worthless stat. Their OPSs are 942 and 941.

If you want to base a hitter on batting average have at it. Im not going back to 1990 to have that conversation

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
but he didnt get better he got worse.

Mangum went from 400, to 320, 350, 360...

Hines goes from 16 homers to 22 and now if he finishes the season with 15 he'll be a bust in your eyes.

So mangum is ok to take a step back because he's still got the high BA you covet. But if hines ends up with 15 homers. Its still a very good season.. will be considered someone that we should be leery of moving forward because he didnt get better...
Yeah, I'm OK with Mangum hitting 400 and 350. Much better than Hines hitting 300 and then 280. Would anyone in their right mind say that Hines is a more valuable player than Mangum, to any team? Offensively.

Reactions: thekimmer

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

Hunter Hines is a damn good player and we are lucky to have him. Many players don't make big jumps after their first year. Did Kellum Clark ever really develop into what some though he'd be? Maybe not, but he had a huge impact for us and a great career.

Reactions: HuntDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Hunter Hines is a damn good player and we are lucky to have him. Many players don't make big jumps after their first year. Did Kellum Clark ever really develop into what some though he'd be? Maybe not, but he had a huge impact for us and a great career.
I don't disagree with that. He and Kellum are similar players.

You can find a lot more of those type players for sure, so we need the athletic types to get us to the next level.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Agreed. The OP obviously hasnt gotten into the way production is measured. Batting average is nice, but means nothing, and this has been proven.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Agreed. The OP obviously hasnt gotten into the way production is measured. Batting average is nice, but means nothing, and this has been proven.
In college, it means a lot. Analytics are more helpful at the pro level.

That's why the players I listed were more valuable to their teams than Hines.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
In college, it means a lot. Analytics are more helpful at the pro level.

That's why the players I listed were more valuable to their teams than Hines.
but it doesnt. Our national championship team had 2 guys on the entire team that hit over 300. but we had 5 guys with double digit homers

in 2022. Ole Miss top 3 hitters, hit 335, 316, and 300. but they had 5 guys with double digit homers. including one with 24.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I expected a big year for that combo and did post it. I also have said the same issue that caused Kellum Clark to not breakout is the issue with Hunter Hines. I will say it for the last time. He stands too close to the plate for a tall power hitter. He allows pitchers to have the inner third of the plate. When I was watching closely earlier this year you can see the catcher setting up inside continuously so there is a book on him. Seems some here have analytics amount of info on him. I would love to see his hit chart on where pitches he hits hard in fair territory are in the strike zone. I would bet it goes from the outer 2/3 of the plate to about 5 or 6 inches outside. He has just had a little too much success to be compelled to make a major adjustment to his approach.

Reactions: Crazy Cotton

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
No one expected a thunder and lightning type year on here that I recall but you.

Hines will still put up 15-20 homers.

He went thru a brutal early season slump, but in SEC play is hitting the exact same as Jordan from a metrics standpoint with more HRs.

He's fine. Bring me 7 players just like him every year out of high school. Will win a lot of games
He strikes out too much. Way too much. His third year in the program I'd expect him to get better there. But yes, he's a useful player.

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
Well he is gonna be a Top 3 MLB pic. It payed off for him..