Man, those home losses to UGA and LSU are now coming back to bite!!!

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
We would be in 1st place if not for those letdowns. Someone said at the time the UGA loss may actually be good for us, to wake the team up or something to that effect. I say BS. You can't lose any games if you want to be the top dawg in the SEC and CERTAINLY NOT A HOME.

Oh well!!! Let's hope we don't have another letdown at HOME, no less!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
We would be in 1st place if not for those letdowns. Someone said at the time the UGA loss may actually be good for us, to wake the team up or something to that effect. I say BS. You can lose any games if you want to be the top dawg in the SEC.

You and kingward drinking together tonight?

Last edited:
Reactions: StillH8FATBRAD

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
You are what your record says you are. We are good enough to beat some of the best teams in the conference on any given night while also being bad enough to get beaten at home by some average teams. The truth is, we probably aren't the best team in the SEC.

It hurts when you lose some very winnable games, but we probably made up for those losses with a couple of wins above our stature. The important thing now is to finish strong and today's win was exactly what we needed at this time.

THEusccocks

Joined Aug 19, 2001
Jan 29, 2022
We would be in 1st place if not for those letdowns. Someone said at the time the UGA loss may actually be good for us, to wake the team up or something to that effect. I say BS. You can lose any games if you want to be the top dawg in the SEC.

You play a lot of games in college basketball. Nobody this season has won them all. We were predicted to win 10-12 games. We are doing pretty good

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Hard to complain about where we are vs where we were predicted to be, but those losses were really bad. But a lot of the good teams have a bad loss or two on their resume.

Last edited:

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
You are what your record says you are. We are good enough to beat some of the best teams in the conference on any given night while also being bad enough to get beaten at home by some average teams. The truth is, we probably aren't the best team in the SEC.

It hurts when you lose some very winnable games, but we probably made up for those losses with a couple of wins above our stature. The important thing now is to finish strong and today's win was exactly what we needed at this time.
100% There are not many top 25 teams w/o a bad loss or two.

Evilchicken

Mar 25, 2022

And I thought I was a Debbie Downer…

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
How many lost by 40 or blew a 16 pt lead at home? Just curious.
I'll let you do that research. I do know that Kentucky got their doors blown off by a then unranked team (you maybe able to guess the team that beat them). Yesterday Kentucky blew out a very good Alabama team. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. I really don't care if we beat a bad team by 1 or lose to a good team by 60. Our record is what it is. Pretty damn solid.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
I really don't care if we beat a bad team by 1 or lose to a good team by 60. Our record is what it is. Pretty damn solid.
I can tell that you don't care. Too bad you're not on the committee that makes these tournament decisions. They care. We've had what I thought were pretty solid records in the not so distant past. And... hello NIT. If blowing big leads at home were common among top 25 teams then it should be nothing to worry about right?

• Love
Reactions: TN-Gamecock

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
I can tell that you don't care. Too bad you're not on the committee that makes these tournament decisions. They care. We've had what I thought were pretty solid records in the not so distant past. And... hello NIT. If blowing big leads at home were common among top 25 teams then it should be nothing to worry about right?
I know how this committee works. They look at your overall record, conf record and strength of schedule. They are also biased so big name programs get priority.

They are not looking at one or two bad losses and that we blew a big lead at home ONCE. Sorry.

I said all along to guarantee a bid, we need to get to 25. 24 is probable, 23 is likely and 22 is questionable. We are not a big BB name so we are not going to get preferential treatment.

If Duke had our exact same record and exact same strength of schedule in and out of conference, they would be 100% in.

Last edited:

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
I know how this committee works. They look at your overall record, conf record and strength of schedule. They are also biased so big name programs get priority.

They are not looking at one or two bad losses and that we blew a big lead at home ONCE. Sorry.

I said all along to guarantee a bid, we need to get to 25. 24 is probable, 23 is likely and 22 is questionable. We are not a big BB name so we are not going to get preferential treatment.

If Duke had our exact same record and exact same strength of schedule in and out of conference, they would be 100% in.
So, there you have it.

Reactions: Viennacock
Feb 24, 2024

I view our tourney prospects similarly. Over the last four games of the regular season, I see:

0-4: Uncomfortable bubble
1-3: Probably in
2-2: Virtual lock
3-1: Probably secures SEC-T bye
4-0: Potentially SEC Reg Season (Co-)Champions

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
I view our tourney prospects similarly. Over the last four games of the regular season, I see:

If we get a win at A&M this week, my stress level will go down significantly. Not because I think we can cruise the rest of the way, but because it will mean we are back on track and probably arent dropping our last three games.

Reactions: StillH8FATBRAD

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022

I think we're a virtual lock with 1 more win, and a very comfortable bubble team with 0 more wins. This team has a really good resume.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
They are coming to back to bite us in the butt for our position in the SEC, for sure. If we had either of those wins back, we'd be a pretty safe bet at this point for a top 4 seed. If we had both wins back, we'd be in sole possession of first.

Of course, that UGA loss may have been the kick in the pants that inspired our 7 game win streak.

Last edited:

hillna2

Feb 2, 2022
How many lost by 40 or blew a 16 pt lead at home? Just curious.
I mean there's a ton of lopsided losses in the top 10 alone.

Marquette - 15 point loss to Providence, 28 point loss to UConn
Tennesssee - 16 point loss to A&M
Arizona - 18 point loss to a 12-15 Stanford
Kansas - 29 point loss to Texas Tech
Duke and UNC both lost to a 12-16 GT

We're the only team on this list that had a lopsided losses to teams that are better than us. We aren't alone and we're not an anomaly when it comes to losses.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
I mean there's a ton of lopsided losses in the top 10 alone.

Marquette - 15 point loss to Providence, 28 point loss to UConn
Tennesssee - 16 point loss to A&M
Arizona - 18 point loss to a 12-15 Stanford
Kansas - 29 point loss to Texas Tech
Duke and UNC both lost to a 12-16 GT

We're the only team on this list that had a lopsided losses to teams that are better than us. We aren't alone and we're not an anomaly when it comes to losses.
The lack of 40 pt losses in your list says...

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
If someone told me we would have two home losses on the year at the start of the season I would have been ecstatic... I don't care who the losses were to.

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
If someone told me we would have two home losses on the year at the start of the season I would have been ecstatic... I don't care who the losses were to.
You and me both! Crazy how a couple losses get so many people overreacting. Many adjectives that were used to describe those losses including inexcusable. I have confidence in CLP and the players. They play with heart and confidence. Every team has a few bad losses at this point in the season.

Reactions: Blues man

hillna2

Feb 2, 2022
You're kidding right? Kansas, the #6 team in the country, lost by 29 to an unranked Texas Tech team. There is not much of a difference at this point. You're just splitting hairs at this point. A blowout loss is a blowout loss.

Reactions: HuntinAces

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
You are making yourself look foolish. Every expert will confirm that point differential of one game is irrelevant when you have a very strong resume. You are reaching dude. Go back to TigerNet.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
You're kidding right? Kansas, the #6 team in the country, lost by 29 to an unranked Texas Tech team. There is not much of a difference at this point. You're just splitting hairs at this point. A blowout loss is a blowout loss.
Well excuse me for asking. Have a great day.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
You are making yourself look foolish. Every expert will confirm that point differential of one game is irrelevant when you have a very strong resume. You are reaching dude. Go back to TigerNet.
Please excuse me for asking. Have a great day.

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
Please excuse me for asking. Have a great day.
You have asked this irrelevant question multiple times in this thread to prove a moot point. I suggested that you do the research if it's important to you. It's not important to most if us, nor is it to the committee.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
You have asked this irrelevant question multiple times in this thread to prove a moot point. I suggested that you do the research if it's important to you. It's not important to most if us, nor is it to the committee.
Have a great day.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Well, if we’d won both of those games, we’d have locked up at least a tie for first by now. But, again, I think the UGA game was a necessary kick in the pants.

BftCocks09

Joined Aug 2, 2014
Jan 24, 2022
This whole “woulda, coulda, shoulda” argument is always so dumb. Of course we wish we’d won those games. But the dumb part is that the teams were battling with, UT and Bama can make the same argument that it shouldn’t even be a battle. That they should already pretty much have it locked up. UT could say the same thing about their losses to A&M and MSU. Bama is really the only team in the conference that can say they don’t have any bad losses in the SEC.

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
Meh. It's basketball - unless you're a top 10 team you're going to lose some you shouldn't have and win some you shouldn't have. The conference season is especially hard and why a regular season championship is such an accomplishment.

USC2USC

Joined Aug 6, 2001
Feb 2, 2022

I dont think LSU is a bad team.

Reactions: RUMMENIGGE

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
Well, if we'd won those easy winnable games, we would be the #1 seed for sure. Have to beat UT at home which I think will be tough.