Martinez to Miami

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I think a decent NIL program would help a lot more than any coach. And from what I see in recruiting, we've got a long way to go.
Agreed. I've said plenty of times that my comments on NIL are never a knock on Charlie because he's one of the few reasons that we have an NIL program at all. However, we can't keep saying that our NIL program is "fine" while we continuously miss out on key difference makers in the portal season after season in all sports. All while OM is clearly playing on a different level than us

With Selmon on board and allegedly laser focused on NIL, I keep hoping that we're closing the gap, but our continuous whiffs on guys like Amos and Martinez aren't giving me a ton of confidence.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Agreed. I've said plenty of times that my comments on NIL are never a knock on Charlie because he's one of the few reasons that we have an NIL program at all. However, we can't keep saying that our NIL program is "fine" while we continuously miss out on key difference makers in the portal season after season in all sports. All while OM is clearly playing on a different level than us

With Selmon on board and allegedly laser focused on NIL, I keep hoping that we're closing the gap, but our continuous whiffs on guys like Amos and Martinez aren't giving me a ton of confidence.
Our NIL being "fine" means we finish 10-12 in the conference (well, 12-14 now with UT/OU), i.e. where we've always been, if we're lucky. Truth is, we've probably dropped a notch or two lower under Arkansas, Kentucky and Missouri, so we may very well be #15 going forward, when it comes to actual ratings.

So what are we doing? What are we even talking about?

With that said, that doesn't mean we can't sign good players. We can, but we need to be strategic about it. Trying to do it the Ole Miss way just won't get it done for us, in my opinion.

patdog

May 28, 2007

Charlie does what he can. But he’s had to do it all by himself from scratch. And I think the Selmon hype is mostly just that. Hype. I don’t see that he’s done much to help NIL in the 16 months he’s been AD. But by gosh, he can send out one hell of a survey.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Charlie does what he can. But he’s had to do it all by himself from scratch. And I think the Selmon hype is mostly just that. Hype. I don’t see that he’s done much to help NIL in the 16 months he’s been AD. But by gosh, he can send out one hell of a survey.
It's gotten better. I don't know if that's just the natural progression of things, or if Selmon spearheaded it, or both.

I hope one day Charlie can tell us the truth about how it's all gone down. I'm particularly curious about Cohen, as it seemed like to me that there was at least a little collaboration on this in early 2022. Then Cohen calls for support that August. When he leaves, donations come in. Was this due to people's hatred of Cohen? I'd hate to think that it was all personal. Who knows, but it was all before Selmon.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
NIL isn't generally the biggest reason we miss but Martinez had a $400K deal at OSU that fell through and that's why he left. Miami is the high bidder, but we're the second highest. He's got an NIL agent handling the bidding and everyone knew Miami was going to get him.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It's gotten better. I don't know if that's just the natural progression of things, or if Selmon spearheaded it, or both.
Probably a little of both. We still need to be a LOT more proactive than we are though.
I hope one day Charlie can tell us the truth about how it's all gone down. I'm particularly curious about Cohen, as it seemed like to me that there was at least a little collaboration on this in early 2022. Then Cohen calls for support that August. When he leaves, donations come in. Was this due to people's hatred of Cohen? I'd hate to think that it was all personal. Who knows, but it was all before Selmon.

I doubt we’ll ever know the real story.