May 26th, 1986, I left for Parris Island South Carolina.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Seems like yesterday but also seems like a lifetime ago. Stange feeling. My dad and uncle were Marines. Uncle served Korea and my dad served Vietnam. My dad died when I was 10. He broke his back in Vientnam and never really recover. I remember my mom crying when I left. I will go to the day I die and never forget that day.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007

A college friend that went through Paris Island said this would have been a sweet and friendly casual conversation and FAR from what it was really like. Immense thanks all around.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

A college friend that went through Paris Island said this would have been a sweet and friendly casual conversation and FAR from what it was really like. Immense thanks all around.
That video is pleasant when they are getting off the bus. In reality there are about 5 to 7 Drill Instructors waiting on you and it is on.

Reactions: dawgman42

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Every time I hear “Parris Island”, I think of “Goodnight Saigon” by Billy Joel.

And the time Will Ferrell sang it on SNL to get out of paying the tab.

Last edited:
Reactions: GloryDawg

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
Seems like yesterday but also seems like a lifetime ago. Stange feeling. My dad and uncle were Marines. Uncle served Korea and my dad served Vietnam. My dad died when I was 10. He broke his back in Vientnam and never really recover. I remember my mom crying when I left. I will go to the day I die and never forget that day.

Thank you and your family for your service. You are all bad asses.

macdaddydawg

Sep 29, 2022
Thank you Sir! and may the memory of your Father and others that have sacrificed everything for our freedom never be forgotten!