More from Dellenger

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Time to cut FB scholarships. It may be a/the money maker but no reason to limit the all American pastime but prop up crap that won't stick to the wall. ESPN can keep up their agenda and it will still be short.
What are you referring to here being propped up?

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Time to cut FB scholarships. It may be a/the money maker but no reason to limit the all American pastime but prop up crap that won't stick to the wall. ESPN can keep up their agenda and it will still be short.
This is a Mad Libs

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
It's time to eliminate scholarships, NO money at all, PERIOD. If they are going to get payed for going to school, make them PAY through the nose for the privilege. Not one damn dime from the university. If they want to be employees, make them earn it. Make it all performance based. Play like crap, get payed like crap.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Why are professional leagues getting a pass on all this.? They don't pay a dime to the colleges to develop players, and it saves them from having to fund developmental or rookie leagues. Instead boosters and universities foot the bill. If an 18 year old can get payed to play ball at a university, why can he not get paid to play in the NFL? If the courts are going to call them professional athletes, it seems to undercut the legality of keeping them out of the leagues.

Reactions: Gooserip

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Apparently Maroon Eagle and patdog took Brattese 101 where the rest of us were out getting DUIs.

• Haha
Reactions: eckie1

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
It's time to eliminate scholarships, NO money at all, PERIOD. If they are going to get payed for going to school, make them PAY through the nose for the privilege. Not one damn dime from the university. If they want to be employees, make them earn it. Make it all performance based. Play like crap, get payed like crap.
My gut says that there's going to be a point where your average student athlete realizes that the old school way of scholarship for play was a pretty good deal. Of course, the superstars in the revenue sports are going to make a **** ton of cash - no doubt about that. Good for them! But the depth players in the revenue sports and kids on the track team or whatever are probably going to look back and wish for the old days.

When they are offered $15 an hour for practice and games or whatever the math comes out to, they'll wish they had the full ride instead of income/taxes/tuition.

Not trying to be a naysaying boomer but just being real about economics/capitalism. The cream rises to the top. The rest....you know how it goes.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
Baseball will basically be a 30 team sport….if that.
In a lot of sports, there will likely be a divide similar to the D1 football FCS/FBS divide. There are 305 D1 college baseball programs. In no world should Mississippi Valley State compete for the same national title that LSU does. In no world should Maryland Eastern Shore compete for the same national title that Mississippi State does. Etc etc.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
$2.9Bin back pay is based on the average of P4 revenue. Ridiculous.

So Alabama for example will pay a lesser % of their revenue in back pay. Where as State would pay more. Same for B1G and other mid to bottom feeders.

And it isn't clear to me, do G5s not have to pay back pay? Memphis and USM is off the hook but State and similar is about to be bankrupt.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
In a lot of sports, there will likely be a divide similar to the D1 football FCS/FBS divide. There are 305 D1 college baseball programs. In no world should Mississippi Valley State compete for the same national title that LSU does. In no world should Maryland Eastern Shore compete for the same national title that Mississippi State does. Etc etc.
Yeah I get that but baseball is already a sport with less competition. The tourney format masks it some. And this is just going to eliminate some schools. Will Wake Forest or TCU want to ramp up scholarships?

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
Will Wake Forest or TCU want to ramp up scholarships?

I'd 100% expect all the schools in the SEC, BigTen, ACC & Big12 to do it. It's the schools in smaller conferences (without massive TV contracts) that probably wouldn't be able to pull it off. I'm thinking about schools in conferences like The Patriot League, Ohio Valley, SWAC, The Big South, etc, etc

Reactions: patdog

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021

So Alabama for example will pay a lesser % of their revenue in back pay. Where as State would pay more. Same for B1G and other mid to bottom feeders.

And it isn't clear to me, do G5s not have to pay back pay? Memphis and USM is off the hook but State and similar is about to be bankrupt.
According to the article, the NCAA will handle the back payments:

"Separately, the NCAA is responsible for paying about $2.9 billion in back damages over a 10-year period. The funds, some of which could be offset by insurance payments, are expected to come from the NCAA’s annual distribution to schools, mostly from the NCAA men’s basketball tournament (upwards of $700 million annually)."

Reactions: Maroon13

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I'd 100% expect all the schools in the SEC, BigTen, ACC & Big12 to do it. It's the schools in smaller conferences (without massive TV contracts) that probably wouldn't be able to pull it off. I'm thinking about schools in conferences like The Patriot League, Ohio Valley, SWAC, The Big South, etc, etc
A lot of thise smaller schools are already not using the 11.7 to some extent. This is only going to increase the number of schools that don’t want to match those that max this out when everyone has to revenue share.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I actually think some of this is already happening. Paying players to win a game, or a certain # of games. Incentive based salary. Otherwise, win or lose, their pay is the same right? Who cares, its a business now.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
It's wild how NIL makes some people so mad. God forbid the players are compensated for their role in a multi-billion dollar industry.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
It's wild how NIL makes some people so mad. God forbid the players are compensated for their role in a multi-billion dollar industry.
To be fair it’s a multi billion dollar industry bc we are nuts as fans. You could run anyone out there in these jerseys.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You don't really understand the source of the anger.

Most don't really care about the players or their money. They just want to know that player is on their 'team'. You see, what made college sports so great for so long was that tribalism. Obviously money always has an effect on who goes where, and obviously coaches have been making big money for a long long time. But that erosion of 'us vs. them' has really been a bitter pill to swallow for many fans who used to just love college ball and hang onto it.

I most definitely fall into this camp. That tribalism and that excitement in my gut I used to feel before a big MSU game is gone, like seriously gone. I do not care if we win or lose, except for a little bit in baseball. But following MSU has just been a part of life for so long, it's hard to really let go. Basically entertainment now, and I think this is the same situation for many fans across many fanbases. An example is the Cam Newton thing, I was living among Auburn folks then, and I got all into my feels about that. I literally could care less if something like that happened again, there's just no way a rival fan could rile me up like they used to. Dude Saturdays in like 2007 were life and death, I remember charting out the various ways and what had to happen for MSU to get to a bowl or whatever, and who had to lose, etc.

So it's basically just over. And it keeps getting worse. While I'm indifferent about wins and losses, I do have a little bit of a stinger out for all the people who caused what was once a great and unifying thing, to just totally change into something that will probably fail. But it's not all just the pay-players brigade. Nick Saban started a lot of it with his huge salary, and he wants to act like he doesn't understand how it all happened. Then the degradation of the bowls and move to a playoff, which essentially let boredom and fatigue set in. System is on life support right now, propped up by rich boosters and TV money (and yeah I'm still guilty, because I will absolutely keep watching). But I can't make a difference in my team, only the big money can, and while that was hidden before, it's plastered on the front door now.

There's your explanation.

Last edited:
Reactions: CochiseCowbell

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I can barely read, so i didn't read the story(s), but are the SEC/Big 10 in favor? If not, this is a non starter.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’m pretty sure everyone is going to have to be in favor so these lawsuits will stop.
Correct, all the stuff that's been building over the years is one thing, but until the lawsuits started and the courts/fed got involved, nothing was going to change.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I doubt very much comes out of it. And if it comes out wrong for the major players in it, they'll separate themselves. Its why the rush for the super conferences has happened.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
According to the article, the NCAA will handle the back payments:

"Separately, the NCAA is responsible for paying about $2.9 billion in back damages over a 10-year period. The funds, some of which could be offset by insurance payments, are expected to come from the NCAA’s annual distribution to schools, mostly from the NCAA men’s basketball tournament (upwards of $700 million annually)."
I was really confused by this part of the article. First off, what insurance policy is going to look at this lawsuit and say… oh yeah, let me take care of that $2.9B bill for you?

Second, if this $2.9B is going to come from funds that would normally have been distributed to the schools, then it’s not the NCAA footing this bill. It’s the universities. Then if you take away a huge chunk of these distributions over the next 10 years, what in the hell are they supposed to use to start paying these new revenue sharing payments?

I’ll say again that I’m not at all against some reasonable form of future compensation for profit making sports, but some of this crap being put on the table is just dumb.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I was really confused by this part of the article. First off, what insurance policy is going to look at this lawsuit and say… oh yeah, let me take care of that $2.9B bill for you?

Second, if this $2.9B is going to come from funds that would normally have been distributed to the schools, then it’s not the NCAA footing this bill. It’s the universities. Then if you take away a huge chunk of these distributions over the next 10 years, what in the hell are they supposed to use to start paying these new revenue sharing payments?

I’ll say again that I’m not at all against some reasonable form of future compensation for profit making sports, but some of this crap being put on the table is just dumb.
The revenue share will come from the schools take of tv money and CFP money which are both separate and apart from the ncaa

Reactions: The Cooterpoot

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

it is. and it wont come to that.

The ncaa is grasping at straws to make everyone happy and continue on as it has in the past. The major players are the major players for a reason.. and theyve alligned themselves well. You wont see any major changes unless they sign off on it, and they arent going to sign off on anything that is bad for them.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Should regular students (non athletes) be paid because Mississippi State University makes millions in revenue?

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
I'm sure corporations buy "General Liability" polies the same way individuals can.

NCAAT payouts are based upon number of games played. In 2023, the SEC got the highest amount at $34 million. Split 15 ways (the league gets a share), that's like $2.2 million per school. If that is cut in half, it's still not a huge deal especially with the new higher $$$ media contract coming along next year. Mississippi State reported $115 million in revenue in 2023. If half the NCAAT money went away, that's less than 1% of total revenue.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009

Is that what the "Damages" is, back pay? Who is this money going to...former players? That's BS! Why not just call it what it is "reparations"?

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Should regular students (non athletes) be paid because Mississippi State University makes millions in revenue?
Do regular students spend an additional 40 hours per week away from the classroom in an effort to make the university millions of dollars? Are their professors the highest paid state employees?