More from Dellenger

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
According to the article, the NCAA will handle the back payments:

"Separately, the NCAA is responsible for paying about $2.9 billion in back damages over a 10-year period. The funds, some of which could be offset by insurance payments, are expected to come from the NCAA’s annual distribution to schools, mostly from the NCAA men’s basketball tournament (upwards of $700 million annually)."
If they're taking the reparations from the money they normally distribute to schools, the schools will still feel the pain.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Do you actually think that's an equivalent situation?
No, but its still relevant. I mean every college is basically training young kids to do future jobs. To teach them things so they dont have big companies dont have to use that money to train them..... Why should the NFL, etc, have to pony up money because college athletes go there and make money.

Apple isnt paying the university for teaching "regular" students things that make them more marketable or a good apple employee moving forward.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Do regular students spend an additional 40 hours per week away from the classroom in an effort to make the university millions of dollars? Are their professors the highest paid state employees?
Well, students are told to allocate approximately 3 hours per class hour a week to study. So 15 hours x 3 = 45.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Is that what the "Damages" is, back pay? Who is this money going to...former players? That's BS! Why not just call it what it is "reparations"?
Compensation for lost NIL due to the ncaa rules at the time.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
No, but its still relevant. I mean every college is basically training young kids to do future jobs. To teach them things so they dont have big companies dont have to use that money to train them..... Why should the NFL, etc, have to pony up money because college athletes go there and make money.

Apple isnt paying the university for teaching "regular" students things that make them more marketable or a good apple employee moving forward.
In addition the Tug driver to the pilot at FedEx doesn't get to sue FedEx because FedEx makes billions. The employee agrees upon a salary to work and that's that.

The whole scholarship and stipend, meals and housing is being ignored for whatever reason. The athletes have always been compensated for their time through scholarships and many other perks.

Also, I'll add. The sec and Big10 tv contracts are because of tribalism as Goat said. because we all are SEC fans and will watch the games. I dont watch or buy tickets because of individual players. i have no clue who half our starters are this season. I do what I do because of the brand that is the SEC and MSU.

Reactions: Seinfeld

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
if it's not crafted the way the SEC/Big 10 want it, it's simply not going to happen.
To some extent. But generally speaking there is going to be a settlement or else the ncaa/schools are going to pay even more in damages. The time for sitting around and saying “we want it exactly like this” is over.

Reactions: patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
if it's not crafted the way the SEC/Big 10 want it, it's simply not going to happen.
i agree. The big players are going to get the deal cut in their favor. Or they are going to take their ball and go home.

If this deal does not benefit them in the long run. Then the rest of the article matters very little. Its honestly that simple.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
i agree. The big players are going to get the deal cut in their favor. Or they are going to take their ball and go home.

If this deal does not benefit them in the long run. Then the rest of the article matters very little. Its honestly that simple.
The BIG and SEC will likely leave regardless so they can escape anti trust rules.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
The BIG and SEC will likely leave regardless so they can escape anti trust rules.
Which is why all this is not as big of news as people think it is.

Eventually 1 of 2 things are going to happen:
1) this is all going to go away. The NCAA to going to shell out the money to keep everyone just happy enough to keep the money train going

OR

2) The major players are going to break away and start a new game, with their own rules and regulations, and not have to worry about what the NCAA or po-dunk state thinks.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
how do they even quantify who lost money or who was worth what? this is the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life. lord, we have some stupid people leading our institutions
It’s a class action. Nothing new about a ton of plaintiffs with varying degrees of damages (or even no damages at all) having to split up money after the attorneys take 40% of it.