Name a random MSU football player

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
Eddie Hornback from Ocean Springs. One night in Spring of '82 I was in the old Shakey's Pizza on Academy Rd in Starkville. Eddie was in there w/ some football players and they started taking up a collection to get Eddie to bite a piece of a glass beer mug off of the mug. I thought this ought to be worth it and I threw a buck or two into Eddie's blue denim butcket hat which he most always wore. After contributions dwindled somebody went and bought him a beer in a glass mug, he downed it almost immediately and damned if he didn't with much effort eventually bite a plug of that beer mug off and spit it out. It took some effort but he did it. Nobody messed with him, ever.
View attachment 567611

"Eddie Hornback - A Parade All-American at quarterback for the Greyhounds in 1978, Hornback led Ocean Springs to an undefeated regular season and a top 5 ranking in the state. Hornback rushed for more than 1,000 yards in his senior season and nearly topped 2,000 in total offense while accounting for 21 touchdowns. He was also named first team All-State and played in the Mississippi High School All-Star Game, accompanied by his coach, Hugh Pepper. Overall, Hornback earned 13 varsity letters during his high school career in football, baseball and track. One of the most heavily recruited football players in OSHS history, Hornback ultimately signed with the University of Notre Dame, where he spent two seasons before a knee injury and a coaching change prompted a transfer to Mississippi State University to finish his college career."
Cool story about eddie, he and my sister were friends there at State and he gave her a pair of official Nike tennis shoes for me and they had MSU on the back. I was so proud of those shoes!

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

Spotdawg

Feb 15, 2007
Hal Chealander - He was a California kid and the QB for State from 69 thru 71. Bob Tyler was hired and he became part of the Turd Herd (Practice Squad). His first words to me were "I don't give a F***" He tried out for the NFL. Later ended up the Sheriff of large county in the Los Angeles Metro. I watched him several times on cable news giving official statements and updates. Actually a good guy but a fish out of water.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
The Arizona Western Wrecking Crew...

Michael Oyefesobi (sp?)
Kahlil Nash
Danny Snyder
And now that I've gone down this rabbit hole, I must add... I was so fired up about that recruiting class.

Besides the Arizona Busterners listed above, it included:

- Paul Broussard (RIP, died before he got to campus)
- Ball and Banks (who we all knew would step right in for Bean and Smoot)
- Coco Hodge (incredible high school career who did exactly zilch in a State uniform)
- The legend Kamau Jackson (for those who don't remember, this guy was the most celebrated "hard-hitting future NFL headhunter who never got off special teams" way before anyone had heard of Qadry Antoine.)

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Michael Davis
I can still hear Jack Cristal: “Michael Davis up the middle, gain of 3 on the play…”

I have his large, wall-framed action-shot photo from the '94 UT game that used to hang in the M-Club. My son "procured" if for me, as it was in a discarded pile during M-Club renovations (thank you, son). It's now prominently displayed in my media room.