NCAA Approves Unlimited Transfer

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It’s hard to explain the elation this fanbase was feeling in June 2021. We had gotten the natty, and we had Mike Leach in the most experienced part of his career, so he likely wasn’t leaving. We knew, at minimum, we’d be a competent football team for the foreseeable future.

Then came July 2021, when these rules changed. And I think we all knew these were rules that wouldn’t benefit MSU. I think we all could stomach the changes if we’d still be able to compete, but it wasn’t looking good.

And damn if it hasn’t been downhill ever since then. Good Lord I hope Lebby is the right guy and pulls some magic out of his hat. We deserve to have something to go our way, right?

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
It’s hard to explain the elation this fanbase was feeling in June 2021. We had gotten the natty, and we had Mike Leach in the most experienced part of his career, so he likely wasn’t leaving. We knew, at minimum, we’d be a competent football team for the foreseeable future.

Then came July 2021, when these rules changed. And I think we all knew these were rules that wouldn’t benefit MSU. I think we all could stomach the changes if we’d still be able to compete, but it wasn’t looking good.

And damn if it hasn’t been downhill ever since then. Good Lord I hope Lebby is the right guy and pulls some magic out of his hat. We deserve to have something to go our way, right?
The previous AD didn’t embrace NIL and we started out a year behind everyone else

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020

Watching the portal moves by various schools in basketball I think Basketball can compete. I don’t think football can. I’m impressed by the mid major players, lower division players that can step up and compete at the highest levels. there’s just too many good role players for the rich schools to corner the market in hoops. mountain West schools are snatching up good players as they have the NIL for 3-5 guys. Can’t be done in football.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Watching the portal moves by various schools in basketball I think Basketball can compete. I don’t think football can. I’m impressed by the mid major players, lower division players that can step up and compete at the highest levels. there’s just too many good role players for the rich schools to corner the market in hoops. mountain West schools are snatching up good players as they have the NIL for 3-5 guys. Can’t be done in football.
Yeah, that’s why I’ve been on the niche offense football train, and lean into basketball and baseball when it comes to NIL.

I just see us trying to NIL-up in football as a fools errand. Need to develop MS talent and find transfers that are looking more for PT, rather than NIL money. Just my take. Especially if the goal is the playoff. I see no point in 6-6 bowls now, especially since Tbro Arnett broke our streak.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Yeah, that’s why I’ve been on the niche offense football train, and lean into basketball and baseball when it comes to NIL.

I just see us trying to NIL-up in football as a fools errand. Need to develop MS talent and find transfers that are looking more for PT, rather than NIL money. Just my take. Especially if the goal is the playoff. I see no point in 6-6 bowls now, especially since Tbro Arnett broke our streak.
There was no better niche offense coach than Leach, shame he died. He was one of the few that could compete with the big boys with far less talent. He has the skins on the wall.

Arnett picked the wrong time to blow up the football program, 20 years ago, not too big of a deal, not today.

Reactions: PhredPhantom

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
There was no better niche offense coach than Leach, shame he died. He was one of the few that could compete with the big boys with far less talent. He has the skins on the wall.

Arnett picked the wrong time to blow up the football program, 20 years ago, not too big of a deal, not today.
Who is the next Leach? That’s the question. Maybe it’s Lebby. Let’s hope so. Even though he likely ain’t. Maybe he’s the right mix of scheme and portal. Shapen looked good, no doubt.

Things have changed for sure, crootin is more important than ever before. By crootin I mean crootin to your scheme.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Who is the next Leach? That’s the question. Maybe it’s Lebby. Let’s hope so. Even though he likely ain’t. Maybe he’s the right mix of scheme and portal. Shapen looked good, no doubt.

Things have changed for sure, crootin is more important than ever before. By crootin I mean crootin to your scheme.

It’s hard to hit the ground running as a first time head coach in this climate, Lebby has a lot tougher road than Leach did starting out. leach became a really good overall program manager and also could spot diamonds in the rough. also Leach had a famous system that attracted skill players. I’m looking at this program in this current environment not necessarily Lebby. I think Lebby should be a good offensive coach but they should have given him a veteran DC to work with.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The previous AD didn’t embrace NIL and we started out a year behind everyone else
I suspect we're more than a year behind. And I question how effectively we're raising NIL money even today. The Hardy (whoever he is) concert is a step in the right direction though.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
It’s hard to hit the ground running as a first time head coach in this climate, Lebby has a lot tougher road than Leach did starting out. leach became a really good overall program manager and also could spot diamonds in the rough. also Leach had a famous system that attracted skill players. I’m looking at this program in this current environment not necessarily Lebby. I think Lebby should be a good offensive coach but they should have given him a veteran DC to work with.
Should have hired Monte Kiffin as DC!

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I suspect we're more than a year behind. And I question how effectively we're raising NIL money even today. The Hardy (whoever he is) concert is a step in the right direction though.
Except the Hardy concert won’t see a penny of NIL for the school.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The previous AD didn’t embrace NIL and we started out a year behind everyone

Leach never really competed with the big boys. He beat them a few times, but that's a totally different argument.

• Angry
Reactions: Anon1697564126

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
True. Basketball is a very different game than football.

In basketball, you need only 5 good players. In football, you need 11 good offensive players, 11 good defensive players, and several good players on the special teams.

So . . . in football, you need at least 25-30 good players to compete at the highest level. In basketball, you need only 5.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Leach never really competed with the big boys. He beat them a few times, but that's a totally different argument.
Right, that’s why he went 11-2 at Tech knocking off #1 Texas and went 11-2 at WSU dominating USC and Oregon.

I didn’t expect much honesty from a guy who was on here all night crying after Leach beat Ole Miss.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Right, that’s why he went 11-2 at Tech knocking off #1 Texas and went 11-2 at WSU dominating USC and Oregon.

I didn’t expect much honesty from a guy who was on here all night crying after Leach beat Ole Miss.
No doubt, what an idiot.

People that use this "such and such coach (at a small school) didn't compete with the big boys", in football, show themselves to be total morons. The obvious fact here is that the small school is disadvantaged and if a coach can close that gap with the big boys, even if they don't bring the small school to absolute equal footing, that generally means they are a good coach.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
So we're now at "unlimited" transfers. My dumb question of the day is how will we know the difference from the cluster 17 we already have ?

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

Why do you lie?

• Angry

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
No doubt, what an idiot.

People that use this "such and such coach (at a small school) didn't compete with the big boys", in football, show themselves to be total morons. The obvious fact here is that the small school is disadvantaged and if a coach can close that gap with the big boys, even if they don't bring the small school to absolute equal footing, that generally means they are a good coach.
He didn't compete with them, He had a couple of big wins, and managed to win a division twice, never a conference. He was roughly comparable to what JWS did here. It's not bad, but it isn't competing with the big boys, which was what I was responding to. Cultists have a hard time looking at things rationally. Leach had a decent record and beat Ole Miss his last year. I was content with him coming back after finally beating THEM. He only managed to beat Washington ONCE, in his first year, while at WSU.

• Angry

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He didn't compete with them, He had a couple of big wins, and managed to win a division twice, never a conference. He was roughly comparable to what JWS did here. It's not bad, but it isn't competing with the big boys, which was what I was responding to. Cultists have a hard time looking at things rationally.
King Jackie definitely “competed with” the big boys. You just can’t quit digging once you start can you? You’ve resorted to the cult language so we can consider this discussion complete.

If anything, Mullen is the only coach where you could say he didn’t technically compete with the big boys, even though his overall winning percentage was similar.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
So we're now at "unlimited" transfers. My dumb question of the day is how will we know the difference from the cluster 17 we already have ?
Not much. This unlimited transfer thing is what is really shaking up things. NIL has always sort of been around, it was just under the table. The transfer rules are destroying college sports. If they want to be pros, then make them pros. You don't play without a contract, just like the pros. Your team owns you for the length of that contract. Contract length, as always, is negotiable.

• Angry

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Not much. This unlimited transfer thing is what is really shaking up things. NIL has always sort of been around, it was just under the table. The transfer rules are destroying college sports. If they want to be pros, then make them pros. You don't play without a contract, just like the pros. Your team owns you for the length of that contract. Contract length, as always, is negotiable.
LOL I became very familiar with the "under the table" approach back in the day . We had a couple of coaches (who I won't name here) who were actually very good at it. It was somewhat similar to NIL but it was, for whatever reason, a hell of a lot more fun.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
The ole Devil does not want to argue, but can we please just drop this whole Leach was not a great coach narrative. His numbers were on par with any coach we have ever had at MSU, and that is kind of the point of Leach. He took jobs in far flung places and took those schools to places in football none of them had ever really seen. MSU had good years before Leach, but nothing spectacular other than a brief run at number 1 in a season in which we completely fell apart down the stretch. Is Leach the greatest coach to ever do it? No. But for a guy that took jobs at historically bad programs he did a great job. He will always be remembered for being more than a coach as well, which is not something even the mighty Nick Saban can say.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The ole Devil does not want to argue, but can we please just drop this whole Leach was not a great coach narrative. His numbers were on par with any coach we have ever had at MSU, and that is kind of the point of Leach. He took jobs in far flung places and took those schools to places in football none of them had ever really seen. MSU had good years before Leach, but nothing spectacular other than a brief run at number 1 in a season in which we completely fell apart down the stretch. Is Leach the greatest coach to ever do it? No. But for a guy that took jobs at historically bad programs he did a great job. He will always be remembered for being more than a coach as well, which is not something even the mighty Nick Saban can say.
He was 19-17 and 11-15 here. Moorehead had a better record.

• Angry

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
He was 19-17 and 11-15 here. Moorehead had a better record.
Again friend I am not trying to argue with you. Mike Leach was a good coach, period. There is not a metric or number that you are going to put up to make that not true. Plus the "greatest" coach to ever do it at MSU was 33-39 here in conference play so what are we really talking about? Do you really just have something against Leach? I mean show me on the doll where he touched you. And technically Moorhead was 14-12 overall and 7-9 in conference play so they have pretty much the same overall record, but of course, we are not factoring in the COVID year or any of those impacts because I get the sense it is not really about what Leach was or was not for you. Is it? This is about bashing Leach to prove some kind of point that he was not a good coach right? If you really think that then all you are doing is showing us how much you really know about football using the fig leaf of well Moorhead had two less conference losses than did Leach.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Again friend I am not trying to argue with you. Mike Leach was a good coach, period. There is not metric or number that you are going to put up to make that not true. Plus the "greatest" coach to ever do it as MSU was 33-39 here in conference play so what are we really talking about?
He was a good coach, for a middle tier program. He was never sought after nor was he ever a serious contender for a job at a place that was a national championship contender.

Kinda knew what you were getting in him. He was going to win 8 games. Sometimes 6 somtimes 10.. but around 8ish. Was never going to get to the upper tier of the college football map, but was going to run a good/clean program. He was a good fit for Starkville without question. Would have been fine here and liked by 80% of the fan base for winning his 8 games a year.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
He was a good coach, for a middle tier program. He was never sought after nor was he ever a serious contender for a job at a place that was a national championship contender.

Kinda knew what you were getting in him. He was going to win 8 games. Sometimes 6 somtimes 10.. but around 8ish. Was never going to get to the upper tier of the college football map, but was going to run a good/clean program. He was a good fit for Starkville without question. Would have been fine here and liked by 80% of the fan base for winning his 8 games a year.
First, I tend to agree with 90% of what you are saying. I would ask how do you know he was never a serious contender for a bigger job? That sounds like something that would be hard to know. Also he strikes me as the kind of guy that wanted to be in these remote places, now that is something I can not know either. I would say me saying he was a good coach in far flung places, and you saying he was good coach at mid tier programs means we are pretty much saying the same thing. I would say also that if all we are going by here is wins and losses then we would miss a good chunk of what Leach really was in terms of coaching.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
First, I tend to agree with 90% of what you are saying. I would ask how do you know he was never a serious contender for a bigger job? That sounds like something that would be hard to know. Also he strikes me as the kind of guy that wanted to be in these remote places, now that is something I can not know either. I would say me saying he was a good coach in far flung places, and you saying he was good coach at mid tier programs means we are pretty much saying the same thing. I would say also that if all we are going by here is wins and losses then we would miss a good chunk of what Leach really was in terms of coaching.
I can agree with most of this.

And you seem to be OK with winning the 8 games and getting the benefits of the extras that made in your mind a Leach a good coach. Others might view the wins and losses and successes on the field a little heavier than you do in terms of calling someone "good".

I think Leach was a good fit here. I dont think he would be a good fit at Alabama, Texas, UGA, etc where football is on a different level.... and yes I agree, I think Leach knew where he's gig would fit in and work out, and sought those spots.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Think it more that he wasn't controllable from a PR or interview standpoint. He was gonna say what he wanted to say no matter what and a lot of universities and football programs can't deal with that. They want what they can somewhat control.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Think it more that he wasn't controllable from a PR an interview standpoint. He was gonna say what he wanted to say no matter what and a lot of universities and football programs can't deal with that. They want they can somewhat control.
That is something that certainly would seem to be true. I was just making the point that none of us can really comment on why or why or not Leach did not get a bigger job because that is not something any of us could really know. But this point you are making is probably as true as any the rest of us have made about Leach.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg