O.T. 40 acres of Delta Farmland for sale outside Itta Bena city limits.

Jan 4, 2024
D.S. I tried to send you a message but failed. I'm actually a long time member but hadn't posted in a while and forgot my password and couldn't revive my old account due to previous phone number issues.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
How’d you like to have the 14,000 acres in Tunica where they put that massive wind farm. Can get $8,000 or more depending on size per year and those things are massive.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Fun fact, in the 80s the Leflore County Club (between G'wood and IB) had the hardest ground in the history of planet earth. It was a struggle to get a tee in the tee box. Also in the late 70s there was a gruesome murder at the country club when some idiots tried to rob a late night poker game. Long time Leflore County Sheriff Ricky Banks made his reputation on that case.

Reactions: Anon1704414204

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Fun fact, in the 80s the Leflore County Club (between G'wood and IB) had the hardest ground in the history of planet earth. It was a struggle to get a tee in the tee box. Also in the late 70s there was a gruesome murder at the country club when some idiots tried to rob a late night poker game. Long time Leflore County Sheriff Ricky Banks made his reputation on that case.
Nice humble brag. **

Reactions: 85Bears

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
The one thing I will say is that at least with windmills you can still farm around them. Solar farms popping up all over the place on highly productive land drives me nuts. I totally get it, they throw around a lot money to get the rights to put them there but we lose 1 acre per minute of viable farmland in the US.
Elon always says you could power all of America with solar panels covering a 100KM X 100KM section of Utah.

Maybe we should look into it.

Tall Dawg

Apr 11, 2016
The one thing I will say is that at least with windmills you can still farm around them. Solar farms popping up all over the place on highly productive land drives me nuts. I totally get it, they throw around a lot money to get the rights to put them there but we lose 1 acre per minute of viable farmland in the US.
1 acre per minute??
Surely not that much??

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Elon always says you could power all of America with solar panels covering a 100KM X 100KM section of Utah.

Maybe we should look into it.
Not to throw this land hawking thread completely off the rails but I’ve recommended the novel Project Hail Mary everybody recently. Incredible read and they do something similar with solar panels… albeit for other reasons than powering the US.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Jan 4, 2024
Actually how about 4 acres.

I look forward to the day clean energy will dominate but it ain't ready yet price wise. All we're doing now is wasting treasure and our poorest are being hit the hardest.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Actually how about 4 acres.

Saying the land is lost makes it sound like...a loss, so a negative result. Is it a negative result though?

While overall land use may currently be transitioned from agricultural to residential, crop production technology and technique is exponentially higher than decades ago. Less land is needed for equal production.
And for decades, the government has paid people to not produce crops on their land, so it's not like all crop land has been needed.

There definitely is a balance between a growing population that requires more land to be transitioned to residential, and fertile farming land remaining available to feed the people and animals of that growing population.
I'd be interested to see what's projected for ag land needs in 50 years since both tech and demand will continue to increase. It's clearly critical that we not exceed whatever projection that is.

On a related note, Iowa used to be 80% Tallgrass Prairie. Today only 0.1% of Iowa's original prairie is left. Yet it's farmland that is being lost.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
he didn’t say it was a negative result. You did, then argued with yourself
Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with DCD. There were multiple comments in that post which conflict because I was listing out various opinions and realities on the issue.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
The American West is covered with windmill farms these days. When you are driving you have to avoid looking at them too much as they are kind of hypnotic. At least that’s the effect they have on me. You don’t realize how massive those things are in that big open country until you see an 18 wheeler transporting some of the components. They may be very effective when they are working but they sure ruin the landscape.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Okay Al Czervik****

Reactions: dorndawg

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I live on Hwy 45 in North Miss. for years I’ve seen flat bed trucks traveling north hauling this single giant round thing with three flat surfaces under tarps. I always just assumed it was a concrete sewer junction of some kind. I happened to be filling up with fuel once and a truck hauling one pulled into the pump next to me hauling one and I asked. They are the center hubs for windmills that the blades bolt to. These things must be 12’ in diameter. They are coming into the Port of Mobile from overseas and transported wherever. If you travel 45 any at all, start paying attention and you will see them fairly regularly.

Reactions: Bulldogbilly

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I don't mind the visuals of the wind farms, but they do impact wildlife significantly. I have a friend who has 12 towers on his ranch in TX for around 10 years now. All the mammals (whitetail, wild axis, badgers, coyotes, raccoons, etc) have totally left his property. At first, he assumed the traffic of the trucks coming in and out to service the towers was keeping the deer off the property. If you have ever hunted in TX, you know deer eventually get used to trucks. Well, the deer never returned. He seems to think the subsonic and audible vibrations from the tower drive the animals away. Seems plausible to me.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
I don't mind the visuals of the wind farms, but they do impact wildlife significantly. I have a friend who has 12 towers on his ranch in TX for around 10 years now. All the mammals (whitetail, wild axis, badgers, coyotes, raccoons, etc) have totally left his property. At first, he assumed the traffic of the trucks coming in and out to service the towers was keeping the deer off the property. If you have ever hunted in TX, you know deer eventually get used to trucks. Well, the deer never returned. He seems to think the subsonic and audible vibrations from the tower drive the animals away. Seems plausible to me.
Suggestion:
1714056559168.jpeg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
How’d you like to have the 14,000 acres in Tunica where they put that massive wind farm. Can get $8,000 or more depending on size per year and those things are massive.
Everybody loves them when they get put in the MS Delta, the plains of the Midwest, desert SW etc but by damn don't put them off the coast of Martha's Vineyard, or Long Island because that's old blue blood trust fund houses
The Chinese started putting them in lakes on floating platforms for that reason

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
How are they killing birds? They aren't spinning that fast. Heck a dove can dodge 8 shot at 1200 fps. I don't believe that they can't see that big old blade coming at them.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
How are they killing birds? They aren't spinning that fast. Heck a dove can dodge 8 shot at 1200 fps. I don't believe that they can't see that big old blade coming at them.
I don’t know but it happens a lot. Kinda crazy.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Here is the Chinese solution, don't have to mow under them either. Cant' wait to see the video of a drunk on a pontoon or jet boat come flying down through there at night.........

1714074781899.png

• Haha
Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

99jc

Jul 31, 2008
there are over 20,000 of those wind turbines on I-80 across South Dakota

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
The American West is covered with windmill farms these days. When you are driving you have to avoid looking at them too much as they are kind of hypnotic. At least that’s the effect they have on me. You don’t realize how massive those things are in that big open country until you see an 18 wheeler transporting some of the components. They may be very effective when they are working but they sure ruin the landscape.
I had never seen one like that before except in pictures or maybe on TV but the feeling it gave me was like I was in some post-apocalyptic place in the distant future.
Kind of a very weird feeling.