Official 2024 Blue-White game thread

Blair10

Nov 14, 2021
My take on today:

What in the world are we going to do with all of these quality RBs? Two more are on the way and the current top 4/5 guys could start for a LOT of college football teams. Q. Martin will be a star.

Tough to judge the OL with three prospective starters not participating. One thing jumped out though, Cousins is a specimen as a true frosh. He more than held his own at both guard and center today.

The transfer CBs looked the part today. Rojas is a stud at ILB. Carter is going to have a big year coming off the edge. I think the defense will be as good as last year's squad by about mid-season.

Pray hard each and every night that Drew stays healthy; the ball explodes out of his hand. Oh, and he's all we currently have at QB that's ready to compete at this level as a passer. Beau can run, but he's a work in progress with his arm.

TEs? Shrug...barely used today.

WRs? I don't want to be a downer, but there's a LOT LOT of work needs done at this position. The recruiting isn't great, the coaching hasn't been great, and the execution has been nothing north of piz poor. Coach K will have to use a ton of motion just to get guys off the LOS. Not a lot of explosive potential with this group, sadly.

Generally, this team could come together and be pretty good. A young and hungry team with a solid OL, good QB, excellent RBs, and a very strong defense that could surprise. Need a couple of position groups (WR, IDL, for example) to step up in a big way in order to make a playoff run.

Good analysis.

Coach Franklin felt compelled to make a statement declaring there is talent in the WR room. Of course, anyone with good vision can see the opposite is true. We better pray the upcoming spring portal delivers at least one impactful WR to Penn State.

Lastly, it is clear Beau is not a B1G level passer. Grunk has more upside as a passer compared to Beau.

PSUAVLNC

Oct 28, 2021
I watched bits and pieces on TV. There were a few things that stuck out to me and haven't improved. Under Franklin, PSU seems sloppy and undisciplined. Lots of mistakes like offsides, poor tackling, etc. I know its only the BW game but, the teams just never look crisp and disciplined to me. Just my observations of watching football over my lifetime and coming to the conclusion that the most successful teams always seemed to be not sloppy and disciplined in the fundamentals. Hoping for improvement come Game #1.
Especially poor tackling...fundamental football skills that don't appear to be a priority at practices. Penn State tackles like they've been watching Eagles games!

Anon1648262989

Mar 25, 2022
Q. Martin at RB was a pleasant surprise. Lots of question as to whether he would play RB or be moved. He did quite well at RB, even if he probably won't get a lot of carries this coming season
I look for him to become the third back at some point this year. IMO he's going to be tough to keep off the field. Other than lack of experience at this level I'm not sure what will hold him back. The RB position is the easiest position on the field to breakout in. Lack of good blocking is usually the thing that will keep an RB off the field. I'm extra excited about Martin. Wish I could say the same for some receivers.

Reactions: LionJim

soparklion

Nov 25, 2023
My take on today:

What in the world are we going to do with all of these quality RBs? Two more are on the way and the current top 4/5 guys could start for a LOT of college football teams. Q. Martin will be a star.
I guess that the structure of NIL doesn't allow sign-and-trade. Yet.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
I guess that the structure of NIL doesn't allow sign-and-trade. Yet.
what structure? it's the wild west now

Reactions: Anon1648262989

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
I liked what I saw out of the 2 RB's and Harris at CB was pretty impressive. The first team D looked solid. The WR situation doesn't look like it's changed much. See what happens when we go from the vanilla of the spring to the sprinkles of the real season.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
I liked what I saw out of the 2 RB's and Harris at CB was pretty impressive. The first team D looked solid. The WR situation doesn't look like it's changed much. See what happens when we go from the vanilla of the spring to the sprinkles of the real season.
We say "jimmies" = not "sprinkles".

Serious Lori Loughlin GIF by Hallmark Movies & Mysteries

Reactions: BobPSU92

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Excluding the pandemic, this is only the 2nd Blue-White game I've missed in 20-some years. A combination of things caused me to change my plans on Thursday. So, I'm going to sit back and see what it's like to watch the Blue-White game on BTN.

Please use this thread to discuss the action.
You picked a good one to miss Tom, unless of course you were to show up at game time and go right into the stadium. We arrived around 11:00 and I opened up the rear door on the car and anything not tied down flew 100 yards away. That tied with the temps it was brutal in lot 12. We met up with our daughter at her roommates parent's tailgate (about 30 or so kids and a few parents) and the crowd somewhat blocked the winds. Alcohol helped too. 🤣

The stadium was much warmer with wind protection in the stands but the wind on the field was blowing hard. You could really see it with the refs pants blowing like a flag in a hurricane. For those panicking, take the QB situation with 30 grains of salt. If this were a competitive game in the fall, both teams QB's stats would be garbage.

Bones80

Oct 19, 2021
Before getting too low on the passing game, I think we need to look at it differently than last year. Yurcich had a passing game offense that didn’t work with our personnel. I think K will play to the personnel. Expect a running focused offense with a lot of slot passes off the play action. Will see an occasional shot downfield but not as a focus of the offense. Will rely on YAC for the passing offense. The Defense will be solid and keep us in all games. We will go as far as the running game and D will carry us. The offense will get passing yards and be enough to win most games. In big games, it will have to be the rbs. Should be favorite in all but one game. Should easily beat 7 teams on the schedule. Will need to win 3/5 against USC, WVU, and Wisconsin on the road and UW and OSU at home. Small margin of error. Possible. Maybe probable without key injuries. Should be exciting. Will take 10-2 to make playoffs.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Before getting too low on the passing game, I think we need to look at it differently than last year. Yurcich had a passing game offense that didn’t work with our personnel. I think K will play to the personnel. Expect a running focused offense with a lot of slot passes off the play action. Will see an occasional shot downfield but not as a focus of the offense. Will rely on YAC for the passing offense. The Defense will be solid and keep us in all games. We will go as far as the running game and D will carry us. The offense will get passing yards and be enough to win most games. In big games, it will have to be the rbs. Should be favorite in all but one game. Should easily beat 7 teams on the schedule. Will need to win 3/5 against USC, WVU, and Wisconsin on the road and UW and OSU at home. Small margin of error. Possible. Maybe probable without key injuries. Should be exciting. Will take 10-2 to make playoffs.
Here's a perfect example of that. I took a couple of pictures yesterday of Drew throwing to an open Clifford via rub route.

20240413_150953.jpg

20240413_150953(0).jpg

Reactions: Bones80

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
What is the deal with KLS? NIL? Why don’t top WRs want to go to PSU? Dotson and Washington thrived here.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
While we squirm over our WRs, OSU sh*ts out another first round draft pick….

Anon1648262989

Mar 25, 2022
The defense will be very good to great again. It's become a theme, and they will keep us in any game we play this year so long as the O doesn't fall flat on its face.

The short to mid-range passes will be the order of the day if not the year and will be a blessing (we hope) to Allar. We have two QB's who should be able to play very well in that O. I expect Pribula will play more this year than last unless Allar just plays lights out this year. Pribula is a perfect fit in a coach K offense. But like Allar his long game just isn't there yet, hopefully that will come for both of them when the WO situation gets fixed.

WVA will be a good test away this year for Allar given it's the first game of the year in a new O and the WO situation being what it is. It's a game we should win every time home or away and we should be able to pound them with the running game.

Reactions: Midnighter

Bones80

Oct 19, 2021
What is the deal with KLS? NIL? Why don’t top WRs want to go to PSU? Dotson and Washington thrived here.
With no insider information, my take is KLS has an inflated opinion of himself. Wants to be thought of and treated as the big play Dre number 1 stud receiver without the consistent track record to show for it. Was not happy with Fleming getting all the attention and praise this spring. Wants to go somewhere where he will be appreciated

Reactions: Midnighter

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
I’d say prior performance with similar talent and schedule would suggest Anon is closer with his prediction than you are.
Neither is close to any prediction based on the Blue White game. There was nothing that could have happened during the Blue White game that would have changed you or Anon’s mind.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Neither is close to any prediction based on the Blue White game. There was nothing that could have happened during the Blue White game that would have changed you or Anon’s mind.

Correct. The things that matter have not changed.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
The defense will be very good to great again. It's become a theme, and they will keep us in any game we play this year so long as the O doesn't fall flat on its face.

The short to mid-range passes will be the order of the day if not the year and will be a blessing (we hope) to Allar. We have two QB's who should be able to play very well in that O. I expect Pribula will play more this year than last unless Allar just plays lights out this year. Pribula is a perfect fit in a coach K offense. But like Allar his long game just isn't there yet, hopefully that will come for both of them when the WO situation gets fixed.

WVA will be a good test away this year for Allar given it's the first game of the year in a new O and the WO situation being what it is. It's a game we should win every time home or away and we should be able to pound them with the running game.
Why is it a game we should win every time home or away?

Anon1648262989

Mar 25, 2022
Why is it a game we should win every time home or away?
They just aren't a program we should lose to. Really, they aren't close to the PS program in any way. Coaching recruiting facilities. They do have a couple big money people who throw around NIL money but that's where WVA begins and ends. Anyone care to compare a WVA degree to a PS degree. Maybe in dentistry ;) Seriously we should never lose to WVA. Hope I didn't just jinx us.

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
With no insider information, my take is KLS has an inflated opinion of himself. Wants to be thought of and treated as the big play Dre number 1 stud receiver without the consistent track record to show for it. Was not happy with Fleming getting all the attention and praise this spring. Wants to go somewhere where he will be appreciated
He was the clear #1 going into last season but he failed to take the next step that Dotson and Hamler and others have. Now he wants to pout and leave? Sure, go right ahead. He'd make a good #3 follower in someone's system. Just don't ask him to lead.

Latest posts