Official PSU - MSU Game Thread

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
PSU loses to OSU, Michigan and MSU in the same season. Or as it’s known, ”The Franklin Special”
THIS^^^^. No more excuses about his pathetic record against MSU, Michigan, and Ohio St being due to sanctions in his first 2 years. We are in year 8 and he put up an 0-3.

Last edited:

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
It is not a either-or, but it is a both-and. Someone pointed out that development has been lacking—and that is 100% true. I added that there is also a recruiting issue there (and has been for most of Franklin's tenure, unfortunately). Both of these are resulting in what we see.
We don't develop strength.

We make big kids lose weight upon stepping foot on campus. Make em stronger.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
MSU could not cover a lick in the secondary …..sooooo…..we run numerous plays. Makes sense to me….NOT.
You have to run some to keep the defense honest but....

2nd and 1 handoffs shouldn't be taken 5 yds deep. It should be taken closer to the LOS and with a full head of steam.

And why 5 straight run plays at the most critical time of the game?

Nits1989

Oct 29, 2021
So the BOT must have decided they didn’t want to start over again. Short term gain but long term loss.

psuno1

Oct 16, 2021
LOL... Now that's good snark... It is always something with James................. I remember back when he started..... He said, "the plays work better with better players." Haven't liked him since. Now he has "better players" and its the facilities.............. It will never
I'm actually outraged tonight.
Its going to be a Train wreck next year.

Classof09

Oct 12, 2021
Two years ago #6 cam brown
But he actually HIT people. Granted it was targeting, late or OOB. But he put them on the ground. Smith whiffs nearly every play. Head down, leaves his feet and never tries to wrap up. Worse fundamentals than a peewee player.

Reactions: Psu00

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
I’m not one to hate on college kids but if he likes the hype then take the criticism. His tackling is absolutely pathetic.
The whole team’s tackling is nothing short of pathetic. It’s been pathetic for at least 5 years- even with Franklin making a big point several years ago (when he was taking heat) that he was going to work on it more in spring practice. Yet here we are years later with the exact same problem.

The real issue is the coaching staff that doesn’t address or fix these repetitive problems.

No attention to detail. No accountability. No consequences.

Last edited:

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
We don't develop strength.

We make big kids lose weight upon stepping foot on campus. Make em stronger.
No we love ‘em fat. It’s what the stats say. You know, TPG’s response to anything to that fails.

I fail to see the massive value in a guy that does no hands on coaching, limited scheming, and uses nothing but a (I suspect useless) stats service to make all in-game decisions.

Reactions: Psu00

Nits1989

Oct 29, 2021
No we love ‘em fat. It’s what the stats say. You know, TPG’s response to anything to that fails.

I fail to see the massive value in a guy that does no hands on coaching, limited scheming, and uses nothing but a (I suspect useless) stats service to make all in-game decisions.
He’s had his fair share of fails but he did punt on 4th today. I wasn’t sure if that was in the playbook.

ILLINOISLION

Oct 12, 2021
LOL... Now that's good snark... It is always something with James................. I remember back when he started..... He said, "the plays work better with better players." Haven't liked him since. Now he has "better players" and its the facilities.............. It will never end.

Better play calling makes players better!

Reactions: The real m.knox

PrtLng Lion

Oct 14, 2021
It may or may not have ultimately changed the outcome, but that 4th and 1 play.... that's really got me fired up. This wasn't a one-off either, have had our share of those over the last 4-5 seasons.

I'd like to know exactly who is calling plays in crunch time: CJF or his OC? If it's his OC-- why does he keep hiring OC's that make the same dumb mistakes? If it's CJF, he needs to back the F off and let the OC have control.

PSU73

Oct 12, 2021
Maybe we should hire this guy....his team took care of Ohio State today with a great running attack. Ooooh. Wait. Scroll to the last paragraph.
---------------
Josh Gattis is in his third season as the Offensive Coordinator and wide receivers coach for the Wolverines. Michigan has averaged 30.6 points and 395.3 yards per game during his two seasons directing the offense.

In 2020, Gattis' unit averaged 28.3 points and 381.8 yards per game. The Wolverines gained over 350 yards of offense in four of six contests and went over 450 yards of offense three times. Running back Hassan Haskins averaged more than six yards per carry (No. 24, NCAA) and quarterback Cade McNamara provided a late-season spark. Four players averaged 10-plus yards or better per reception including receivers Ronnie Bell (15.4 yards per catch) and Cornelius Johnson (15.9).

In his first season, Gattis led the U-M offense to a 5,000-yard season (5,220 yards), averaging more than 400 yards of offense per game. The Wolverines averaged 31.7 points and 401.5 yards per contest buoyed by a stretch which saw U-M out-gain and out-score four league opponents and Notre Dame by a combined +1,101 yards and +114 points. Thirteen different Wolverines were named All-Big Ten on offense under Gattis.

Gattis coached wide receivers Nico Collins (37 catches, 729 yards, seven touchdowns) and Bell (48 catches, 758 yards, one touchdown) to career-best seasons along with quarterback Shea Patterson. Collins' 19.7 yard-per-catch average led the Big Ten Wide receiver Donovan Peoples-Jones (six touchdowns) was also a big end zone factor, and five pass-catchers registered at least 25 receptions each. Patterson became the third U-M quarterback to throw for 3,000 yards in a season (3,061), throwing for the third-most yards (384) and the second-most touchdowns (five) in a single game during the course of the year. U-M had two rushers over 600 yards in Zach Charbonnet (726 yards, 11 TDs) and Haskins (637 yards, 4 TDs) and Charbonnet's 11 rushing scores are a freshman record at Michigan.

Gattis spent the 2018 season as co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach at the University of Alabama, where he helped lead the Crimson Tide to the College Football Playoff and a National Championship Game appearance. While in Tuscaloosa, Gattis mentored All-American receiver Jerry Jeudy, the 2018 Biletnikoff Award winner, who caught 68 passes for 1,315 yards (19.3 avg.) and 14 touchdowns. In addition, he developed true freshman Jaylen Waddle, who earned first-team All-American honors by Pro Football Focus. The Crimson Tide had four receivers and a tight end surpass 500 yards receiving on the year.

Prior to his position with the Crimson Tide, Gattis spent four seasons as the wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator at Penn State (2014-17). He also led the program’s offensive recruiting efforts, helping the Nittany Lions ink four straight top-25 recruiting classes, including a pair of top-15 classes. Gattis was selected as the 2015 Big Ten Recruiter of the Year by Scout.com for his efforts. On the field, he tutored All-Big Ten receivers DaeSean Hamilton (2014, ’17) and Chris Godwin (2015-16).

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnJumba

WSTLion87

Oct 10, 2021
I wish Franklin would put as much time into game prep as he does with all the off field crap we see
1.no depth chart. Why? How long did he think about it and how does that make the program better.
2. Bringing Keegan Michael Key to portray him.
3 explaining why he will not answer questions on if he is staying at PSU.
4. Being the head cheer leader
You forgot bringing in the LLWS team and letting them kick field goals. Then, doing push-ups when they make them.

ManassasPSU

Oct 12, 2021
Let’s look at our losses this year yes they were close games however..

1 -Iowa- staff did not have the backup QB ready to play. Lack of player development.
2 - Illinois- clifford should have never played. Backup QB did not have trust of coaching staff. Lack of imagination in OT lack of player development at the QB position
3 Ohio State - I will give Ohio State credit. They have a better roster. HoweverFranklin is paid to recruit against the big boys.
4- Michigan. Failure to score a touch down after recovering fumble in 4th quarter. Terrible breakdown on D on Michigans last touch down
5 Michigan State. Fall behind quickly. Staff does not have team ready to play. Running the ball on crucial drives in fourth quarter with no first down success. In the meantime Dotson was having a career game. Horrible tackling again.

The coaching staff has a big hand in all of the losses. Above average coaches and staff find a way to win all of these games.

PAgeologist

Oct 19, 2021
I wish Franklin would put as much time into game prep as he does with all the off field crap we see
1.no depth chart. Why? How long did he think about it and how does that make the program better.
2. Bringing Keegan Michael Key to portray him.
3 explaining why he will not answer questions on if he is staying at PSU.
4. Being the head cheer leader
Maybe Key was actually coaching for the 5 loses and not Franklin. It does explain a lot.

JohnJumba

Oct 7, 2021
Our Oline looks like Spanish bullfighters doing the ‘olé’ trick. Miranda sucked on that like Walker and Wallace have all year. Why do our Olinemen never end up on the ground? Always standing around watching a TFL!

Nice guy, great recruiter, terrific father… but a horrible game day coach. There is absolutely no argument otherwise. Nothing has changed in 6+ years
I.say give him.2 years to go better than 7 or 8 wins then pay him off. Or is this more of the BOT and administration shart to deemphasized football.

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
Checklist for next year-

1- I don’t care if they stink, find me kids on an OL who play nasty and compete. The 4 *’s that you cant develop year in and year out look like overmatched doughboys.
2- Thank you #14, but he better not be in the shot gun next year opening day. It’s time to move forward. I don’t care if it’s a lost year, get the future ready and better yet, have two kids ready.
3- If Franklin has Stones, he should step forward and remember his comments about being elite and that it starts with him. Tell the people who cover the team that he wants to be asked every tough question every time and be accountable as opposed to the nonsense he delivers to the press each week. It starts with James. Candy *** days are over.
4- For Christ sake, tackle drills! These kids who occasionally make tackles now preen and mug like they just stood up Bo Jackson at the goal line. There is too much nonsense and yes, get off my lawn! But it’s ridiculous how many drives are extended as a result of the inability to make routine tackles to get off the field.
5- Unless your last name is Sanders (as in Barry and not Miles) and you somehow snuck back onto the field, enough with the never ending turning 3 yard gains into 3 yard losses. I never realized the blow of losing Journey Brown. This team hasn’t recovered from losing him and then having Cain get hurt. I normally don’t like having true freshmen having to step up physically as running backs, but you might not have a choice. They never had a kid step forward this year. Their most effective running threat was Clifford pre-injury and that turned into a disaster after Iowa.

I can’t remember being this disappointed in a long time. Bama and Ohio State weren’t world beaters and Clemson wet the bed. This was the year to make playoff noise and who knows what the future holds as to whether something started this year or if it was just a blip for the big boys from the last x years. This was maybe the worst year I can remember in a long time.

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
Then what do you call it when Franklin loses to;

Iowa
Illinois
Ohio’s State
Michigan and
Michigan State all in the same season?

well give that guy a huge raise and a 10 years contract!!!! Jeeeeeeesh.

Penn State Football as we remember it is gone.
Penn St is now a mediocre program.

We have coaches that don’t pay attention to details. They don’t correct errors. There’s no accountability or consequences.

We’ve just had a 4-5 season followed by a 7-5 season. We routinely lose to teams like Indiana, Minnesota, Pitt, Maryland, and Illinois on top of the usual losses to Ohio St, Michigan, and Michigan St.

Instead of being on a ‘hot seat’ the brain trust at Penn St gave the coach a 10 year extension for $80 million….. because they were afraid they couldn’t do better.

We are now officially Nebraska.

Last edited:

Nits1989

Oct 29, 2021
Penn St is now a mediocre program.

We have coaches that don’t pay attention to details. They don’t correct errors. There’s no accountability or consequences.

We’ve just had a 4-5 season followed by a 7-5 season. We routinely lose to teams like Indiana, Minnesota, Pitt, Maryland, Rutgers, and Illinois on top of the usual losses to Ohio St, Michigan, and Michigan St.

Instead of outrage and a ‘hot seat’ the brain trust at Penn St gave the coach a 10 year extension for $80 million….. because they were afraid they couldn’t do better.

We are now officially Nebraska.
They’re also afraid to complain to the Big 10 about the crap schedule they keep feeding us. Even if Franklin gets it together in any given year, the schedule will cause a loss.

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
They’re also afraid to complain to the Big 10 about the crap schedule they keep feeding us. Even if Franklin gets it together in any given year, the schedule will cause a loss.
True, but even with the most favorable schedule possible Franklin and company would still underperform.

That said, I agree that the PSU leadership from Barbour to Barron has been atrocious from both an academic and athletic perspective.

Reactions: step.eng69

psu31trap

Oct 29, 2021
The team actually did not play poorly today considering the weather and the lack of weapons on offense. A few tough breaks during the game (fumble) but in the end it came down to an onside kick. All losses fall on the head coach. I may be wrong but coach Franklin has always come across as a guy who refuses to micro manage his assistants and coordinators. Well, it’s not working! If the program is to succeed he will need to get into the weeds. Player development and especially the strength & conditioning program must be managed and scrutinized by him personally. Yes, he’s able to recruit elite HS talent which is great, but in today’s game it’s not enough.

Today we watched a nasty Michigan offensive line manhandle, wear down and abuse a star studded Ohio State defensive line. There’s no reason Penn State can’t do the same.