Offset Burners

Uncle Ruckus

All-American
Apr 1, 2011
15,328
6,717
113
Little knowledge on who makes some good ones, but I want something where I can feed the masses.
 

Dawgbite

Heisman
Nov 1, 2011
9,926
11,379
113
A friend of mine has a J- 3 Jambo Pit and I helped him cook competition for several years. I took a 150 gal propane tank and built a smaller copy for myself. I modified it somewhat, I put charcoal trays in the grill body itself so I could cook steaks and burgers direct. I made one mistake, I didn’t build my firebox big enough, naturally aspirated it wanted to stay 200-215 degrees. I added a BBQ Guru pit viper fan to the firebox so I could feed more air, now it will easily hold 235-250. I just have to add wood or charcoal more often than I would if my firebox was larger.
 

Uncle Ruckus

All-American
Apr 1, 2011
15,328
6,717
113
I thought about doing that. Very little cutting and welding experience, but I thought it would be something me and a couple friends could do
 

Hugh's Burner Phone

All-American
Aug 3, 2017
5,483
6,450
113
I've got a 250 gallon propane tank I keep telling myself I'm going to get turned into a large grill one day. Until then I guess it'll just remain a yard decoration.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,193
5,731
113
Doesn’t matter if they’re offset or not. Just make sure any calls to hookers or recruits can’t be traced back to you.
 

RivaDawg

Senior
Feb 26, 2008
888
440
63
I would never pay this for a smoker, but looks interesting; primitive pits.com
 

Dawgbite

Heisman
Nov 1, 2011
9,926
11,379
113
I don’t know where you are located but there is a retired gentleman in Aberdeen Ms that builds grills. He does excellent work and doesn’t charge near what his labor is worth. Usually has a grill sitting by the Texaco on Hwy 45. I think he retired from Tigrett Steel and does this as a hobby.
 

Uncle Ruckus

All-American
Apr 1, 2011
15,328
6,717
113
Do you know if he has anything set up where I can contact him? Wouldn’t mind driving to Aberdeen to purchase something from a MS business
 

Dawgbite

Heisman
Nov 1, 2011
9,926
11,379
113
Do you know if he has anything set up where I can contact him? Wouldn’t mind driving to Aberdeen to purchase something from a MS business
I’ll ride by and see what he has, can’t remember his name. Just an FYI, I haven’t fired my offset in over a year and likely won’t any time soon. One or more ceramic Kamado grills is a much better investment. Easier to cook on, more versatile, and more efficient. The only drawback is portability.
 

Dawgbite

Heisman
Nov 1, 2011
9,926
11,379
113
If I were buying a smoker for competition or catering I would buy a BBQ Guru Shotgun Smoker and mount it on a small trailer. The insulated upright chest type smokers are my pick based on my experience in competition. They are just so damn efficient and consistent.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Mississippi State Bye Week Checklist: What Needs Work?
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Bye Week Watchlist
  3. 03 Maroon and White Mississippi State Basketball tipoff times finalized
  4. 04 Rivals Basketball Recruiting Mississippi State, Maryland & UCF talking visits with 4-star forward K'Nard Callendar
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "Fine line": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on managing health and preparation