OJ dies..

Jan 17, 2024
Great running back, made some horrible post-retirement decisions.
Like killing his ex-wife and a waiter? Also holding people up at gun point? Horrible decisions really isn't the right way to frame that. A horrible decision is eating gas station sushi. Evil, murderous are likely the first words that I think of about him.

Torch901

Sep 6, 2020
Like killing his ex-wife and a waiter? Also holding people up at gun point? Horrible decisions really isn't the right way to frame that. A horrible decision is eating gas station sushi. Evil, murderous are likely the first words that I think of about him.
He let his emotions get the best of him and he paid a steep price with 10 years in prison. I think it probably should have been longer, but I guess by age 70, they figured he wasn't a danger to society any more.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
He let his emotions get the best of him and he paid a steep price with 10 years in prison. I think it probably should have been longer, but I guess by age 70, they figured he wasn't a danger to society any more.
He spent zero days in jail for double murder. 9 years of a 33-year sentence for kidnapping and armed robbery, and then an early release from parole.

Wife beater, murderer, liar, kidnapper, robber. Your dismissal of his crimes is vile but predictable.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
My favorite trojan. Saw all his home games. I can separate the football player from his personal life.

RIP.
As a football player, he represents statistics. And those mean next to nothing in consideration of the brutal murders he committed.

Rot In Hell.

Reactions: Trojan JST
Jan 17, 2024
As a football player, he represents statistics. And those mean next to nothing in consideration of the brutal murders he committed.

Rot In Hell.
I lurk on many USC football boards, and I am shocked at people leading with "great football player" and then minimizing the horrific individual he was. He was a spousal abuser, an "alleged" murderer, a convicted convict. Just because he went to USC he gets a pass? You are right, he is statistics. He is also garbage.

Torch901

Sep 6, 2020
He spent zero days in jail for double murder. 9 years of a 33-year sentence for kidnapping and armed robbery, and then an early release from parole.

Wife beater, murderer, liar, kidnapper, robber. Your dismissal of his crimes is vile but predictable.
Always with the passive-aggressive cheap shots. So typical.

• Love
Reactions: USCFB

Torch901

Sep 6, 2020
Nothing passive-aggressive about it. You defend the indefensible but then throw out racist accusations like candy at an Easter party. You are what you are.
I believe OJ was probably not punished enough for the killing of two innocent people. And he was punished too much for robbing someone of his souvenirs. You're the one bringing up racism. Not me.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Regardless of everyone’s opinions, he was found not guilty of his wife’s and Ron’s murder. Our time to judge him has long passed. It’s easy for me to say this because of my beliefs in the hereafter.

Reactions: 4thamp1 and USCFB
Jan 17, 2024
Regardless of everyone’s opinions, he was found not guilty of his wife’s and Ron’s murder. Our time to judge him has long passed. It’s easy for me to say this because of my beliefs in the hereafter.
He was acquitted, not found not guilty. Huge difference. We all know he killed Nicole and Ron. He even tiptoed around admission in his book.

Reactions: jaycee993

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
He was acquitted, not found not guilty. Huge difference. We all know he killed Nicole and Ron. He even tiptoed around admission in his book.
No. He was found not guilty by virtue of a jury verdict. He was not found innocent tho, if that’s what you meant. It wasn’t a hung jury, so a verdict was rendered.

“Although Mr. Simpson was found not guilty in the criminal trial, the Goldman and Brown families in 1997 won a $33.5 million civil judgment against him from a predominantly White jury. Because it was a civil trial, a unanimous vote was not required to find that he was liable for the murders..”

Reactions: 4thamp1
Jan 17, 2024
No. He was found not guilty by virtue of a jury verdict. He was not found innocent tho, if that’s what you meant. It wasn’t a hung jury, so a verdict was rendered.

“Although Mr. Simpson was found not guilty in the criminal trial, the Goldman and Brown families in 1997 won a $33.5 million civil judgment against him from a predominantly White jury. Because it was a civil trial, a unanimous vote was not required to find that he was liable for the murders..”
Sorry, but every source I have googled said he was aqcuited. Reuters, Wikipedia, etc. Not innocent is not the same as acquitted. He killed Nicole and Ron. Nearly decapitated Ron. Stabbed to death Nicole.

USCFB

Dec 15, 2023
Interesting. Premium Board mostly discusses OJ the football player. This Board is mostly about his personal life.

Reactions: Pudly76

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Sorry, but every source I have googled said he was aqcuited. Reuters, Wikipedia, etc. Not innocent is not the same as acquitted. He killed Nicole and Ron. Nearly decapitated Ron. Stabbed to death Nicole.

past tense: acquitted; past participle: acquitted
  1. 1.
    free (someone) from a criminal charge by a verdict of not guilty.
    "she was acquitted on all counts"

Similar:
    absolve

clear

exonerate

exculpate

declare innocent

find innocent

pronounce not guilty

discharge

release

liberate

emancipate

free

set free

deliver

spare

exempt

dismiss

vindicate

let someone off (the hook)

Opposite:
    convict

2. 2.
    conduct oneself or perform in a specified way.
    "all the young women in the contest acquitted themselves well"

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Generally, in a criminal situation, acquittal is the same as not guilty, and the terms are typically used synonymously. The subtle difference will still absolve the accused from being held responsible while also protecting them via double jeopardy. Specifically, being not guilty means there is no legal accountability while an acquittal is the specific finding by a judge or jury that the accused is not guilty.

So yes, the jury in this case acquitted him and the determination was that he was not guilty. It also as you refer, is not the same as innocent but rather the case was not proven to a degree finding for a guilty verdict.

FTR, he still owes the Goldman and Brown families in excess of $100M.
Interesting. Premium Board mostly discusses OJ the football player. This Board is mostly about his personal life.
What's interesting about it? The rules are pretty clear. Someone's "personal life" as it relates to violent crime, in particular multiple homicide, should always be a part of the discussion to provide context of any adulation he may be getting for running on a field with a football.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
"The Los Angeles Times made a noticeable blunder its OJ Simpson obituary, which ran Thursday following the announcement of the former NFL player's death from cancer at the age of 76.

In the version that originally went up on the Times' site, the first sentence in the penultimate paragraph of the lengthy obit read:

'Long before the city woke up on a fall morning in 2017, Trump walked out of Lovelock Correction Center outside Reno, a free man for the first time in nine years."

Careful there, LA Times.....your mask is slipping.

Jan 17, 2024
Generally, in a criminal situation, acquittal is the same as not guilty, and the terms are typically used synonymously. The subtle difference will still absolve the accused from being held responsible while also protecting them via double jeopardy. Specifically, being not guilty means there is no legal accountability while an acquittal is the specific finding by a judge or jury that the accused is not guilty.

So yes, the jury in this case acquitted him and the determination was that he was not guilty. It also as you refer, is not the same as innocent but rather the case was not proven to a degree finding for a guilty verdict.

FTR, he still owes the Goldman and Brown families in excess of $100M.

What's interesting about it? The rules are pretty clear. Someone's "personal life" as it relates to violent crime, in particular multiple homicide, should always be a part of the discussion to provide context of any adulation he may be getting for running on a field with a football.
Thank you. I can be a bit pedantic and know words matter. Not guilty dne innocent dne acquitted. I think though, whether it was acquitted, not guilty, innocent, he was a massive piece of ****.

Reactions: uscvball

The Lizard King

Aug 24, 2017
This never gets old.

Jan 17, 2024
Also, why did the Heisman committee (or whatever they are called) allow OJ to keep his Heisman and not let Bush keep his. Killing two people...can we say this without the "allegedly" preface and then 12 counts of armed robbery, but Bush's family took money to leave USC for the pros and not go to USC? Sure Bush was not clean, but the moral equivalency is terrible.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
She's a lawyer, right? If so I do believe. If not, I do think the words are specific in a legal term. Dictionary vs Legal are not necessarily equivalent. OJ is and will always be a piece of ****.
In this case, in California, they are the equivalent regardless of your opinion to the contrary. Jus sayin

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
She's a lawyer, right? If so I do believe. If not, I do think the words are specific in a legal term. Dictionary vs Legal are not necessarily equivalent. OJ is and will always be a piece of ****.
Not a lawyer. The words I used were legally specific....basic to say though that in a general sense, the words are interchangeable and yet there is a very slight distinction.

Also, why did the Heisman committee (or whatever they are called) allow OJ to keep his Heisman and not let Bush keep his. Killing two people...can we say this without the "allegedly" preface and then 12 counts of armed robbery, but Bush's family took money to leave USC for the pros and not go to USC? Sure Bush was not clean, but the moral equivalency is terrible.
Bush voluntarily gave it up, it was never officially revoked but they still haven't given it back. Bush's issues were associated with alleged activity directly related to alleged improper benefits received while a player.

OJ earned his on the field and frankly, he arguably deserved 2 of them. Beban is probably the least deserving winner in history.

There are a lot of former winners who had problematic legal issues after they won. None of them has had theirs revoked. Johnny Rodgers from Nebraska is the only convicted felon to win while a player. He participated in robbing a gas station as a freshman, plead guilty, and got 2 years probation.

If Jameis Winston got to keep his.....Reggie should get his back IMO.

Reactions: Pudly76

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017

The trial was more about race and prejudice than it was about determining guilt or innocence. Prosecutors made a colossal mistake by filing the case in LA instead of Santa Monica. That jury had exactly ONE white person, a female. Observers during the trial said the jury seemed more moved by Simpson's mother's testimony than anything else and their sympathies turned toward him.

The amount of physical evidence that was suppressed is mind-blowing. Putting Mark Fuhrman on the stand was a horrible mistake. Playing up the trope of a white woman marrying a wealthy black athlete was successful for the defense. The LAPD was put on trial as much as OJ was.

There are racial undertones to those who deny the truth in this case and want to pretend that OJ was nothing more than an amazing athlete who had a little blip in his personal life.

Latest posts