One thing I hugely like about Donte. He is a D minded coach.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
You make statements like “Either has Dabo….” “Or it’s not a deal breaker”… it’s pretty obvious you want the guy, and that’s ok. We can disagree about it.
Just don’t act like that’s not what you’re doing.
Once again, stop putting words in my mouth or thoughts in my head.
I mean, I realize that’s your MO, just don’t do it with me.

I‘ve clearly said I wasn’t advocating for him and said he probably isn’t ready. After that, we’re just kicking it around. Not a single person in this thread has advocated for Donte Williams to get the job permanently. We’re simply talking about what if’s.

Last edited:

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
Either had Dabo Swinney or every other coach who has ever gotten his first job.
Blem really? Use another name to prove you’re point about a non experienced coach getting hired. Dabo William Christopher Swinney coached at Alabama for 10 years as a position coach then another 5 years at Clemson before he was hired. So yes if a coach has 15 years experience at these 2 schools he gets to cut in front of the line. 15 years at these top schools is the equivalent to 10 years as a head coach in the PAC 12 to me.

Reactions: August West

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
I’m simply using your words.

If you have an issue with that, then perhaps you need to be more careful with what words you post.….so to clarify, are you, or are you not, pushing for DW to be the next SC HC?

Simple yes or no will do.

If that is too difficult to answer, then is DW in your Top 5 to be next HC?
You aren’t using my words, you’re using things I said, to mean something that you think I mean.

All I’ve said is that the fact he has never been a Head Coach is not IMO a deal breaker. Because that isn’t a reason for him not to get the job, does not mean I think he should get the job.

No, at this time, I am in no way pushing for him to get the job.
No, in no way is he among my Top 5 choices to get the job. At this time if I even had a Top 5, or even a list, he would not be on it.

Here is what I said in another thread regarding Donte

He may not be ready at the moment, but Donte Williams will be a Head Coach within the next three or four years. Somewhere.
Yes, he has never been a coordinator, but neither have Ed Orgeron or Dabo Swinney. I’m sure there are others. Not many, but it wouldn’t be setting a precedent. If you flip that, almost every single Head Coach the last thirty or forty years has been either a Defensive or Offensive Coordinator. At least 95% ( probably more) of them ended up getting fired, so being a coordinator does not ensure that someone will be a successful Head Coach.

I can make the case that with all the sea changes happening in CFB at the moment, and in the near future, being a coordinator may be less important than being a great recruiter, and Donte Williams is as good as it gets, maybe as good as anyone, leaving out the obvious GOAT, Nick Saban, who is untouchable because of his ability to recruit, but also, his ability to look at a 16-17 year old high school player and being able to tell what he’s going to look like as a 20-22 year old player. That last bit of info was straight out of the mouth of Ed Orgeron, as related to me by Scott Schrader after he spent the afternoon with Ed and his family during the Army All America Week in San Antonio when Ed was unemployed after Haden Fvcked him over.

Am I advocating for Donte Wiliams to be Helton’s permanent successor? Absolutely not. I doubt he is ready, but it isn’t out of the realm of possibility.

Put it this way, if this team performs at a high level, the remainder of the year, it certainly has to be considered, because he is a must keep. His recruiting ability could quite possibly trump the importance of whoever is in the drivers seat.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Agree, across the LOS….which is why he’s had success running the ball and on defense.
That’s mostly with the Samoan and Tongans, who are mostly LDS, but it also helps with non Polynesian players who live in other states but who want to attend a school in a state with a large LDS population.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Thank you for the clarification.

As for keeping him, I leave that to the next HC. I’m a firm believer in HCs filling their own staff. If that happens to include DW, that’s great. We’ve had other good recruiters leave, we still get talent, regardless of how poor our coaching is.
No problem. From what I’ve been told, Donte is pretty much a must keep as part of the deal for any new coach. Put it this way, the new coach would have to have a really compelling reason, and really proven candidate, not to keep him and still get the job.

People need to understand, a lot of this new support structure we have for recruiting, was built around Donte Williams. Can it survive without him? Of course, but will it thrive without him is really the only question that need be asked.

Last edited:

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
See, and that’s not the right approach…I surely hope Bohn is not insisting to potential hires that DW has to stay.

You’ll drive off prospects putting mandates like that on these guys.

Asking them to consider it, yea no problem….demanding it. You’ll push guys away.
See my edit to further understand what i said and why

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Blem really? Use another name to prove you’re point about a non experienced coach getting hired. Dabo William Christopher Swinney coached at Alabama for 10 years as a position coach then another 5 years at Clemson before he was hired. So yes if a coach has 15 years experience at these 2 schools he gets to cut in front of the line. 15 years at these top schools is the equivalent to 10 years as a head coach in the PAC 12 to me.
Clemson was clemsoning when they hired Dabo, hardly a power school.

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
Clemson was clemsoning when they hired Dabo, hardly a power school.
Common Pudly really? Haha. I swear West Coast fans like us think no football is played anywhere but the West Coast. They think the same thing about us. Clemson has averaged 8 or 9 wins even in their so called down years for over 2 decades. That’s better than and Clay Helton.

Clemson’s record over the last decade
2011 10-4
2012 11-1
2013 11-2
2014 10-3
2015 14-1
2016 14-1
2017 12-2
2018 15-0
2019 14-1
2020 10-2

Last edited:
Reactions: uscvball

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Common Pudly really? Haha. I swear West Coast fans like us think no football is played anywhere but the West Coast. They think the same thing about us. Clemson has averaged 8 or 9 wins even in their so called down years for over 2 decades. That’s better than and Clay Helton.

Clemson’s record over the last decade
2011 10-4
2012 11-1
2013 11-2
2014 10-3
2015 14-1
2016 14-1
2017 12-2
2018 15-0
2019 14-1
2020 10-2
He was talking about where Clemson was when Dabo took over, I think. If they weren’t struggling in mediocrity, Dabo would never have been named HC. They would have kept Tommy B

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
He was talking about where Clemson was when Dabo took over, I think. If they weren’t struggling in mediocrity, Dabo would never have been named HC. They would have kept Tommy B
Exactly correct. Alabama and Clemson were both middling programs during Dabo's tenure as an assistant coach. In fact, when Dabo was promoted to be HC, Clemson fans were FURIOUS. It was far worse than Clay Helton's firing believe me. I lived in the area at the time and lived in SC for over 10 years. FSU and Miami were the leaders in the ACC once they moved to the ACC. Clemson was more akin to what Michigan State is now. Bama had sanctions and recovering from sanctions. Neither program was anything like what they are now.

yah20002

Aug 24, 2017
Let’s see how this season shakes out before drawing conclusions and kicking anyone else to the curb. Because Donte has never been a head coach, there’s no book of positives/ negatives we can point to, as justifications, either way.

A lot of people still haven’t gotten over Haden’s decision to let coach O go. He went 6-2, which certainly wouldn’t be the equivalent of Donte going 10-1. Yes, coach O did have the short head coaching stint at Ole Miss, which qualifies as prior experience.

We know Helton couldn’t get the job done. The interim job was going to someone currently on the staff. Jinks is the only current member of the staff with prior HC experience. It didn’t matter to me if GH, TO, Vic, Jinks or Donte got the position. I just want SC to return to glory. Donte just happens to get first dibs at the job.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
He will have been by midnight on the 18th of September 2021, and I wouldn't put it past the administration to hire him if he does well. I doubt many people know who he is or his resume. In this politically correct word/administration, I want to believe he wasn't a "woke" hire, but we'll see soon enough.
He’s a keep priority, and it has nothing to do with PC, unless the fact he is an African American who relates to young African Americans on a really high level, is a factor. He was already Assistant Head Coach, so it would have seemed weird for him to NOT be named interim.

As for many people not knowing who he is, I can assure you, everyone who counts in CFB knows who Donte Williams is, and his resume, at least tne part that matters, is that he’s a Top echelon recruiter.

Last edited:

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
He’s a keep priority, and it has nothing to do with PC, unless the fact he is an African American who relates to young African Americans on a really high level, is a factor. He was already Assistant Head Coach, so it would have seemed weird for him to NOT be named interim.

As for many people not knowing who he is, I can assure you, everyone who counts in CFB knows who Donte Williams is, and his resume, at least tne part that matters, is that he’s a Top echelon recruiter.
He was not assistant head coach, he was named associate head coach. Those are 2 very different things. The associate title is typically what programs do to justify paying extra money but without the responsibility.

In that regard, yes it's clear there were some sort of long term plans for him. But if you don't think it's awkward for him to have been on Todd Orlando's staff, making less money, and getting promoted over Orlando who has almost 20 years of experience as a defensive coordinator, then I don't know what to tell you.

If I'm Todd Orlando, my agent has been putting my name out there since Monday morning.

eftzoons

Sep 12, 2021
Reports from trusted sources say we've doubled down on full pad scrimmages this week. More hitting, that is. The more the better. The more the better. Hit hard and often until games seem significantly EASIER than practices.. That's the old Pete Carroll formula, anyhow.

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
He was not assistant head coach, he was named associate head coach. Those are 2 very different things. The associate title is typically what programs do to justify paying extra money but without the responsibility.

In that regard, yes it's clear there were some sort of long term plans for him. But if you don't think it's awkward for him to have been on Todd Orlando's staff, making less money, and getting promoted over Orlando who has almost 20 years of experience as a defensive coordinator, then I don't know what to tell you.

If I'm Todd Orlando, my agent has been putting my name out there since Monday morning.
I think Orlando could be an overall winner out of this if the defense plays lights out in the rest of our games. He could come out of this with a low to mid-tier power 5 head coaching job.

Reactions: Pudly76

Realitycheck.usc

Oct 7, 2017
Look we wll know the reason that at least some here want Donte to get the gig. I dont need to elaborate the reason why. It may not be their only reason but it certainly is number one or two, However he is not ready for prime time. He is a gamble. Gambles sometimes do work out but Sc shouldnt be gambling now and really should never have to gamble. Sc should always land a top tier candidate. A guarantee lock to take Sc to the promised land.And at this juncture in his career Donte is anything but a lock

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017

It's crazy that folks rather focus on his race than what he can do as a coach for this program. HC or not.

AtownSC

Sep 8, 2017
I think Orlando could be an overall winner out of this if the defense plays lights out in the rest of our games. He could come out of this with a low to mid-tier power 5 head coaching job.
You think he hires Tom Herman as his OC?

• Haha
Reactions: Pudly76

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
He is a gamble. Gambles sometimes do work out but Sc shouldnt be gambling now and really should never have to gamble. Sc should always land a top tier candidate. A guarantee lock to take Sc to the promised land.
There are no guarantees, but I agree with the gist of what you are saying. We have to get it right this time.

Donte may end up being a very good, even top tier HC somewhere, someday. Maybe even at USC in the future. But right now, his lack of any body of work as an HC to look at makes him too big of a gamble. We’ve gambled too much with each hire since PC, and lost each time. We need to go after a top tier guy with a history of success as a college HC.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
There are no guarantees, but I agree with the gist of what you are saying. We have to get it right this time.

Donte may end up being a very good, even top tier HC somewhere, someday. Maybe even at USC in the future. But right now, his lack of any body of work as an HC to look at makes him too big of a gamble. We’ve gambled too much with each hire since PC, and lost each time. We need to go after a top tier guy with a history of success as a college HC.
This program can't do anymore gambling, it can't afford it literally. Bohn must get this right. To me this hire is make or break for us.

Realitycheck.usc

Oct 7, 2017
It's crazy that folks rather focus on his race than what he can do as a coach for this program. HC or not.
Sorry didnt mean to hit the like button, lol. If after all he is that marketable, why havent other teams in the know as you say come a callin? Maybe theyre also not sold with his inexperience . The race issue comes up because for some its considered a qualification regardless of his ability to connect with people of his own race. They want him simply bcause of his race. Thats the dumocrat left wing way. Race is the best qualification you can bring to the table, if yer the right race. Ill relate an anectdote from Judge Borks classic book . A student was applying to Harvard Law School. His credentials were impeccable. Superior test scores, grades , captain of various sports teams , valedictorian etc The dean turns to him and says, son these are great qualifications, but not as good as being black . And thats really all you need to know about the left and their warped agenda. And that story is no bull either. And if you think that dean was correct and doing the right thing then u and I have irreconcilable differences.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
I’m not focusing on his race. Somebody made the comment that his hiring was or may have been the result of Political Correctness. I’m simply making the point that Donte has very good relationships with African American kids. There are AA kids on this team right now, who wouldn’t be here if he wasn’t. So if that’s PC, then oh well.

We‘ve ALWAYS had that guy on our staff, going back to Willie Brown. As someone close to the staff told me circa 2007-2008 when I asked why Todd McNair was on the staff. He straight up told me “ he’s here to recruit the ghetto”. We maybe didn’t have that guy when Ed O was here, because he can recruit anybody.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
I’m not focusing on his race. Somebody made the comment that his hiring was or may have been the result of Political Correctness. I’m simply making the point that Donte has very good relationships with African American kids. There are AA kids on this team right now, who wouldn’t be here if he wasn’t. So if that’s PC, then oh well.

We‘ve ALWAYS had that guy on our staff, going back to Willie Brown. As someone close to the staff told me circa 2007-2008 when I asked why Todd McNair was on the staff. He straight up told me “ he’s here to recruit the ghetto”. We maybe didn’t have that guy when Ed O was here, because he can recruit anybody.
Terrence Ross Wow GIF

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017

Associate, Assistant, not a big difference to me, he’s the only one besides Helton with HC after his name. And Donte wasn’t on Todd Orlando‘s staff. He was on Clay Helton’s staff, and Todd Orlando had nothing to do with Donte Williams coming to USC. I seriously doubt if he was even consulted.

As for Orlando putting his name out there, Monday morning, I say great. His name was mud when we hired him and I’ve seen nothing from him to make me say anything other than don’t let the door hit you in the azs. As for him being a DC for almost 20 years, seems like we’re not the only school that doesn’t think he’s Head Coach material.

Im not hating on Orlando either. At one time, when he was at Texas I was advocating for him to be our Head Coach. But the more I see from him, the more I think I was wrong.

Last edited:

Latest posts