OT: -18 at the house this morning. Anyone up for golf?

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
I had put in leave at work to take a ski-day but the ski resort was closed because it was just too cold. I think the high at the house yesterday was 1 and it's -18 now. I'm sure looking forward to golf season.

My son and I will drive down to St. George, Utah in mid-March to squeeze in 3 rounds over a 4-day weekend. Then, we'll visit my parents in SC over spring break in April and get in a few more rounds. By the time we get back to Montana, some of the courses around here will start to think about opening for the season. But they won't be in good playing shape until June.

German cock

Joined Sep 4, 2006
Jan 17, 2022
@Usc1984., that my friend is cold, Montana what a nice state to live in. One of these days I make it up there, in the summertime of course . Here in Columbia SC, it’s 59 degrees 🙂🙂🙂 GoCocks

Go Gamecocks

Jan 24, 2022

Brian Shoemaker

Gamecock Central Founder+Publisher
Staff member
Aug 26, 2021
The temp got to 84 here in the Charleston area today. A record.

Well, I saw a Tweet that said that earlier. Don't know if it got above 84.

Reactions: Horseshoe04

Dirtpecker

Joined Mar 27, 2012
Jan 20, 2022
My mother is in Big Sky right now, flew in on Tuesday. Quite a temperature difference taking off at GSP and landing in DEN/BZN a few hours later. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Uscg1984

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
I had put in leave at work to take a ski-day but the ski resort was closed because it was just too cold. I think the high at the house yesterday was 1 and it's -18 now. I'm sure looking forward to golf season.

My son and I will drive down to St. George, Utah in mid-March to squeeze in 3 rounds over a 4-day weekend. Then, we'll visit my parents in SC over spring break in April and get in a few more rounds. By the time we get back to Montana, some of the courses around here will start to think about opening for the season. But they won't be in good playing shape until June.
If you invite me out, I will play regardless of temperature. I have done a good bit of snowshoeing. Is that our best bet for golf shoes?

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
If you invite me out, I will play regardless of temperature. I have done a good bit of snowshoeing. Is that our best bet for golf shoes?
People are literally cross-country skiing every day right now on the course I play regularly, so snowshoes would be fine too. Be sure to pack the orange balls though. 🤣

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
My mother is in Big Sky right now, flew in on Tuesday. Quite a temperature difference taking off at GSP and landing in DEN/BZN a few hours later. :ROFLMAO:
Has she gotten much skiing in this week? Big Sky, of course, did not close for the cold, but when I checked some of their webcams Tuesday afternoon, there weren't many people. haha! I think Big Sky was -20 Tuesday morning and I don't think it ever got above freezing up at the resort. Big Sky has some heated lifts and windscreens that moderate the cold days a bit, but going downhill with the wind in your face is murder when it's sub-zero. There has been a bit of a warm up as the week went on, but it hasn't been as dramatic as they expected. Saturday should be a blue-bird day, however, if she is still there.

Reactions: Dirtpecker

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
Has she gotten much skiing in this week? Big Sky, of course, did not close for the cold, but when I checked some of their webcams Tuesday afternoon, there weren't many people. haha! I think Big Sky was -20 Tuesday morning and I don't think it ever got above freezing up at the resort. Big Sky has some heated lifts and windscreens that moderate the cold days a bit, but going downhill with the wind in your face is murder when it's sub-zero. There has been a bit of a warm up as the week went on, but it hasn't been as dramatic as they expected. Saturday should be a blue-bird day, however, if she is still there.
I got sprayed all over my head and face with liquid nitrogen this afternoon. Is it anything like that?

Jan 18, 2022
Just for the record...golf sucks.

I watched for a while when Tiger was dominant but quickly lost interest after that.

Horseshoe04

Joined Jan 5, 2014
Jan 21, 2022
I was just happy to leave Dallas today. Here’s the view about 730am . I believe George Strait wrote RUN about leaving Dallas

Attachments

• A7419B04-47EF-4749-9A22-6715FFED0379.jpeg
    A7419B04-47EF-4749-9A22-6715FFED0379.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Haha

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
I was just happy to leave Dallas today. Here’s the view about 730am . I believe George Strait wrote RUN about leaving Dallas
I was down there for my wife's mother's funeral several years back. I believe it was in February. My rental car had a sheet of ice on it when I left the hotel the morning of the funeral. Dallas can surprise you weather-wise. Had to take my wife to buy a substantial full-length coat before I did anything else.

Dirtpecker

Joined Mar 27, 2012
Jan 20, 2022
She's not out there for skiing, although others in her family may be. Her sister (and husband) from Chattanooga TN own a slope-side house in Big Sky and every winter they have all the siblings out for a week. It's more of a family reunion type of thing. She has 3 brothers and 3 sisters that are scattered out between SC, GA, TN, OH, MI, and KS, so they look forward to the week every year. She has text me some pictures, absolutely beautiful and amazing.

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
People are literally cross-country skiing every day right now on the course I play regularly, so snowshoes would be fine too. Be sure to pack the orange balls though. 🤣
Sounds like we'll have a couple of blue balls available!!

Last edited:
  • Haha

Importcock

Joined Aug 28, 2007 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 21, 2022
Saw this just the other day; A lady had been taking golf lessons from the local pro for a little while and finally went out to play a round by herself. Then she got stung by a bee. She tried to continue but the pain became unbearable so she returned to the clubhouse. The pro was shocked to see her so soon so he asked what was wrong. She told him she had been bee stung and couldn't go on. He asked her where she got stung. She said, between the first and second hole. He said, well, your stance is definitely too wide.

Reactions: GamecockMike

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
I got sprayed all over my head and face with liquid nitrogen this afternoon. Is it anything like that?
Similar, except your whole face scabs over and falls off after a few weeks. 🤣

Wear the sombrero, when you golf, King. The sun is a killer.

Reactions: King Ward

cockyferg

Jan 25, 2022

So does that make golf super expensive in Montana? How do you cover finances over winter?

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
So does that make golf super expensive in Montana? How do you cover finances over winter?
I wouldn't say "super" expensive like Hawaii or metro NYC, but it's definitely more expensive, in my experience. When we travel to SC, my son and I play courses like Cobb's Glen in Anderson, Hickory Knob State Park, and the Greenwood Country-Club, all less than $40 (adult) with a cart on weekdays and under $50 on the weekends. There's nothing comparable to that out here. If those same courses were out here, those prices would be the walking rates with carts $20 additional per person. And, of course, if you join a private club, you have to pay dues in the winter even though you'll play no golf for 5-6 months. But I get it - they have to make their revenue when the sun's shining, so to speak.