OT - anyone have kids that are in a school where cell phones are banned?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Curious to hear how the ban is enforced- is it just 'Timmy, put your phone away' or is it 'Timmy, get the 17 out and go report to in school suspension!'? Maybe somewhere between?
Do any schools use Yondr pouches? If so, what happens when a student forgets their pouch? What happens if a student doesnt lock their pouch?

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
They are technically banned in our district, but it’s not really enforced system wide. I think the punishment for use in the handbook is that they take the phone and keep it for a period of days and then the parents have to schedule a meeting with the principal to get it back.

My son is in Middle School and he can take it in his backpack, but is not allowed to turn it on (although the teachers have allowed it a couple times for a forgotten lunch, etc.). My daughter is in HS and they don’t care. She texts me all the time from class.

ETA - I’ve never heard of whatever you linked…

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Curious to hear how the ban is enforced- is it just 'Timmy, put your phone away' or is it 'Timmy, get the 17 out and go report to in school suspension!'? Maybe somewhere between?
Do any schools use Yondr pouches? If so, what happens when a student forgets their pouch? What happens if a student doesnt lock their pouch?
If they use them in class when they are supposed to be put up, the teacher confiscates them, and the parents have to retrieve them from the principal.

Reactions: tbaydog and DerHntr

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Middle schooler can have it with him but it must be turned off during school. If caught with the phone on, they confiscate it and only the parents can retrieve it. I’d prefer they aren’t allowed at school but it is useful when practices / band / club meetings change. I think it’s a free for all once in high school though.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I can’t believe it’s taken schools this long to start cracking down on this.
I can't believe how little parents fight against their kids having and being on phones all the time. Granted they didn't have great data until recently to backup the seemingly obvious negative impact on mental health, but still.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Middle schooler can have it with him but it must be turned off during school. If caught with the phone on, they confiscate it and only the parents can retrieve it. I’d prefer they aren’t allowed at school but it is useful when practices / band / club meetings change. I think it’s a free for all once in high school though.
I've got not problem with them being at school if it's a "dumb" phone. I like being able to reach my kids and vice versa and if they were dumb phones, I don't think the temptation to take them into class would be irresistible. You'd still have kids trying to text during class and have something of a hassle for the school, but I think that's a manageable in exchange for the logistics benefits for the student and parents. Maybe people int eh schools feel differently though.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
My wife is a middle school teacher. These kids are so addicted to screens that I fear that her taking them away might one day trigger some kind of violent response. Typically, she is very lenient and provides warnings/tries to be reasonable. Some days she's had her limit...

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Ive got one at a school with a total ban and one at a school with a free for all.

There is a difference in academic rigor, expectations, amount of homework, and attitude of kid.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
My wife is a middle school teacher. These kids are so addicted to screens that I fear that her taking them away might one day trigger some kind of violent response. Typically, she is very lenient and provides warnings/tries to be reasonable. Some days she's had her limit...

Also no one wants to be the one hard liner about the rule. It would be so much easier if the upper admin set a hard line for faculty to follow that rule or be written up on the first offense. Some would be mad about that at first but it would save everyone a ton of BS if they were all on the same page.

My son recently had his phone taken away. He’s not mature enough for it and it very quickly became a problem. It only took five months for him to screw up big enough for my wife to agree with me. I didn’t want him to have one in the first place, but we “compromised” and got him one anyway. Pick your battles gents.

And no, I didn’t tell her I told you so. But by god I thought it really loudly.