OT: Beer Expertise Needed

Jeffreauxdawg

All-American
Dec 15, 2017
8,891
8,003
113
I have become more and more of a Whiskey guy over the years, but I love a good beer as much as the next guy. I really love the taste of some craft beer and microbrews, but inevitably they give me a splitting headache. It comes right after I quit drinking and is not because of alcohol (I drink large amounts of high proof bourbon and scotch on the regular without issue and once in a while go overboard and get the spins, but never a headache the same night like with beer.)

Last night was a perfect example.

Mrs Socks and I got a sitter for the kids and went out for drinks and dinner. We did a little pub/bar hopping during Happy Hour before our dinner reservations. I was driving so I took it easy. (Mrs Socks got wasted and may have lost her privelages at the last spot for what it's worth.)

Over 4 hours with a decent amount of walking around downtown and a full meal I had a grand total of 4 beers around 16 oz each. We left the final stop after dinner at 9:15pm. We went straight home and by 10:00 the headache was throbbing. I drink plenty of water all night, but grabbed more and a few ibuprofen and hit the hay. I woke up at 12:30 with a pounding headache and a cold sweat on the pillow. Took 4 more ibuprofen and another glass of water and laid back down.

I wake up at 6:00 this morning feeling like a champ. Mrs Socks is not so lucky. I didn't get close to drunk, but that 17ing headache was something else. For the record, I can drink 4 Miller Lite or other mass produced light beers an hour and get drunk, but never a same night headache.

Here's the list of the beers I had with links. I'm hopeful some of you beer gurus can shed some light. Budweiser and the like gave me a headache back in the day, but it was 20 years ago since I last drank one. Also, high rye bourbon and rye whiskey will give me a headache, but not like last night. I'm leaning towards some kind of hop allergy or the unfiltered aspect of the microbrews.

2-16 OZ Western Collective Lagers (can poured in glass) from 5:15pm to 7:00 pm and 2 glasses of water while drinking.
https://westerncollective.beer/products/wstrn-lager-6-pack-togo

20 minute walk around downtown and 1-12oz White Dog Blood Orange Hefeweizen (can poured in glass) from 7:20-7:45pm.
https://www.whitedogbrewing.com/blood-orange-hefeweizen-description


15 minute walk to dinner restaurant. Couple glasses of water and a 16 oz Lonesome Larry Lager (draft) with dinner from 8:00-9:15pm.
https://www.sockeyebrew.com/


While I am not completely going to rule out a case of Vaginosis or the like being my "real" problem, let's leave that out for this exercise.**

ETA. Sam Adams too. A couple of summers ago I bought a 12 pack of Sam Adams Summer Ale in bottles and 1 beer gave me a head splitter. Gave the other 11 away.
 
Last edited:

Baddmann

Freshman
Sep 20, 2015
431
66
28
I don’t know but I like the story.
Agreed. Well told story!

Could it be some allergen from not being pasteurized? I had to stop drinking Coors because they cold filter it and it was starting to give me some allergy symptoms...
 
Last edited:

ZombieKissinger

All-American
May 29, 2013
5,552
9,606
113
As a doctor, I can confirm that it’s a jealous whiskey demon who thinks you’re cheating on her with a cheap ***** wearing expensive makeup
 

tbaydog

All-American
Feb 25, 2008
2,929
5,310
113
Used to have same issues. Tried Molson several years back, solved my problems.
 

dog12

Senior
Sep 15, 2016
1,950
592
113
This may not work for you since you enjoy the craft beers, but I think the solution is obvious: stick to Miiler Lite, since it doesn't cause headaches for you.

I drink two kinds of beer: 1) Miller Lite; and 2) any beer that I don't pay for (i.e., free beer).
 

fevans

Redshirt
Aug 27, 2012
140
24
18
I know someone who is allergic to hops and doesn't drink beer but has no problems with mixed drinks. He said certain beers are worse than others. Many craft beers such as IPAs in particular have really high hops concentrations. Luckily there are other styles of beers which are as hoppy as IPAs and are very good as well. Here's a couple of articles that might offer some guidance if you do have a hops allergy.


https://alcoholvolume.com/hops-in-beer/

https://www.portlandmercury.com/Lus...819/allergic-to-hops-you-can-still-drink-beer
 

57stratdawg

Heisman
Dec 1, 2004
148,685
24,535
113
Have you ever tried seltzers? If you have an allergy, they might be a workaround for you.

And before anyone gives you a hard time, I’ll drink the **** out of a White Claw Black Cherry.
 

Jeffreauxdawg

All-American
Dec 15, 2017
8,891
8,003
113
Have you ever tried seltzers? If you have an allergy, they might be a workaround for you.

And before anyone gives you a hard time, I’ll drink the **** out of a White Claw Black Cherry.

I just can't get into the taste. I don't like sparkling water either. I have had a few hard seltzer's and it tastes like someone ate a bag of Jolly Ranchers and burped through a straw into a Sprite fountain drink after the syrup ran out.
 

Dawgbite

Heisman
Nov 1, 2011
9,862
11,235
113
You haven’t had a Budweiser in 20 years?[/QUOTE
Probably longer than that for me. To the OP, I'm a beer drinker but wheat beers give me a skull splitter. About two is my max on wheat beer yet I can drink a dozen ales or Pilsner craft beers and have zero headache issues.
 

hydrodawg

Redshirt
Jun 6, 2013
179
9
18
Allergic to brewer's yeast?

Try getting a small pack of brewers yeast (not bread yeast) and mix it with water like a supplement. See if it does the same thing. Since microbrews don't filter their dead yeast.

I have become more and more of a Whiskey guy over the years, but I love a good beer as much as the next guy. I really love the taste of some craft beer and microbrews, but inevitably they give me a splitting headache. It comes right after I quit drinking and is not because of alcohol (I drink large amounts of high proof bourbon and scotch on the regular without issue and once in a while go overboard and get the spins, but never a headache the same night like with beer.)

Last night was a perfect example.

Mrs Socks and I got a sitter for the kids andwent out for drinks and dinner. We did a little pub/bar hopping during Happy Hour before our dinner reservations. I was driving so I took it easy. (Mrs Socks got wasted and may have lost her privelages at the last spot for what it's worth.)

Over 4 hours with a decent amount of walking around downtown and a full meal I had a grand total of 4 beers around 16 oz each. We left the final stop after dinner at 9:15pm. We went straight home and by 10:00 the headache was throbbing. I drink plenty of water all night, but grabbed more and a few ibuprofen and hit the hay. I woke up at 12:30 with a pounding headache and a cold sweat on the pillow. Took 4 more ibuprofen and another glass of water and laid back down.

I wake up at 6:00 this morning feeling like a champ. Mrs Socks is not so lucky. I didn't get close to drunk, but that 17ing headache was something else. For the record, I can drink 4 Miller Lite or other mass produced light beers an hour and get drunk, but never a same night headache.

Here's the list of the beers I had with links. I'm hopeful some of you beer gurus can shed some light. Budweiser and the like gave me a headache back in the day, but it was 20 years ago since I last drank one. Also, high rye bourbon and rye whiskey will give me a headache, but not like last night. I'm leaning towards some kind of hop allergy or the unfiltered aspect of the microbrews.

2-16 OZ Western Collective Lagers (can poured in glass) from 5:15pm to 7:00 pm and 2 glasses of water while drinking.
https://westerncollective.beer/products/wstrn-lager-6-pack-togo

20 minute walk around downtown and 1-12oz White Dog Blood Orange Hefeweizen (can poured in glass) from 7:20-7:45pm.
https://www.whitedogbrewing.com/blood-orange-hefeweizen-description


15 minute walk to dinner restaurant. Couple glasses of water and a 16 oz Lonesome Larry Lager (draft) with dinner from 8:00-9:15pm.
https://www.sockeyebrew.com/


While I am not completely going to rule out a case of Vaginosis or the like being my "real" problem, let's leave that out for this exercise.**
 

msudawg12

Senior
Dec 9, 2008
3,964
713
113
Were they draft?

The head brewer for budweiser explained to us at an event in Meridian a few years back that most bars use the quick clean-/dry chemicals to clean glasses and they are meant to air dry. But many bars clean and throw them right into a freezer to give a frosty glass. The chemicals dont get to evaporate and therefore end up in your beer while you drink it and you end up with a headache.

Not sure this is your scenario but its a thought
 

Jeffreauxdawg

All-American
Dec 15, 2017
8,891
8,003
113
You haven’t had a Budweiser in 20 years?
Probably longer than that for me. To the OP, I'm a beer drinker but wheat beers give me a skull splitter. About two is my max on wheat beer yet I can drink a dozen ales or Pilsner craft beers and have zero headache issues.

Wheat maybe a common thread. My worst headache ever was from a single bottle of Sam Adams Summer Ale... Made with wheat. The Blood Orange Hefeweizen last night was a wheat beer.

Last week we went to a local microbrewey and I drank a golden ale 3 20oz glasses with no issues. And golden ales seem to be low wheat.

High wheat content may be my problem.
 

mcdawg22

Heisman
Sep 18, 2004
13,630
12,087
113
As a doctor, I can confirm that it’s a jealous whiskey demon who thinks you’re cheating on her with a cheap ***** wearing expensive makeup
This is my diagnosis as well. I’m not a doctor but I have a PHD in drinking.
 

uptowndawg

All-Conference
Jul 15, 2010
2,227
1,003
113
I can taste this post

I just can't get into the taste. I don't like sparkling water either. I have had a few hard seltzer's and it tastes like someone ate a bag of Jolly Ranchers and burped through a straw into a Sprite fountain drink after the syrup ran out.

Good description
 

msualohadog

Senior
Oct 25, 2014
630
920
93
Liquid B12 and ibuprofin works for me. I used to get really bad headaches. Buddy of mine turned me on to B12 and I keep a bottle in my bathroom now.
 

Mobile Bay

All-Conference
Jul 26, 2020
4,242
2,184
113
Are you by any chance on a drug called Metformin. Ever since the doc started me on that two beers makes me have to lie down sick. But the other things I drink and I am just fine.

Otherwise I fear you may have a terminal case of getting old.
 

Mobile Bay

All-Conference
Jul 26, 2020
4,242
2,184
113
Have you ever tried seltzers? If you have an allergy, they might be a workaround for you.

And before anyone gives you a hard time, I’ll drink the **** out of a White Claw Black Cherry.

Haters gonna hate. I am with you. Lets get these guys on a boat, two foot seas and 90 degrees in the sun and see how they like that whisky and craft beer. And there ain't no laws when you're drinkin Claws.
 

Dawgbite

Heisman
Nov 1, 2011
9,862
11,235
113
A nurse friend introduced me to the Rally Patch, which is basically a transdermal B12 plus other vitamins patch. Works best if applied before drinking but works well after too. With it applied you can drink, drink, and drink some more and absolutely no hangover or headache. I keep them around for events where I'm likely to over indulge.
 

Crazy Cotton

All-Conference
Aug 26, 2012
3,912
1,712
113
Try this experiment: About an hour or so before you have your first beer, take an antihistamine. I do this when I'm going to drink red wine and it has worked like a charm for me. Who knows, may be some sort of allergic reaction your having to one of the ingredients and the antihistamine may calm that down.
 

Jeffreauxdawg

All-American
Dec 15, 2017
8,891
8,003
113
Try this experiment: About an hour or so before you have your first beer, take an antihistamine. I do this when I'm going to drink red wine and it has worked like a charm for me. Who knows, may be some sort of allergic reaction your having to one of the ingredients and the antihistamine may calm that down.

I was reading about this. I think I am going to give that a shot. It makes sense. The reaction has to be some kind of mild allergy.... It seems impossible to figure out exactly to what at this point.
 

vandaldawg

Junior
Feb 23, 2008
2,177
365
83
Eh. I used to drink a rye IPA that i really liked. I’d get massive hangovers even when I would have like two. I became convinced I was allergic to the rye. Maybe maybe not, but no other beers did that to me like that. Could be that or maybe gluten allergies or something.
 

M R DAWGS

All-Conference
Apr 13, 2018
2,292
2,187
113
This may not work for you since you enjoy the craft beers, but I think the solution is obvious: stick to Miiler Lite, since it doesn't cause headaches for you.

I drink two kinds of beer: 1) Miller Lite; and 2) any beer that I don't pay for (i.e., free beer).

same here
 

Dawghouse

All-Conference
Sep 14, 2011
1,185
1,071
113
I have to put a plug in for crook and marker brand. I really dislike seltzers but those are amazing.

If you haven't tried them, find them.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Rivals Football Recruiting How Kamario Taylor's success is helping Mississippi State recruit top quarterbacks
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Jett Jefferson's early impact elevating Mississippi State secondary
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football "I gotta give it all I got": Mississippi State WR Anthony Evans III on crucial 4th quarter catch
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Points of Focus from Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby heading into Week 5
  5. 05 Rivals Football Recruiting Wiltfong Whiparound: Mega prediction for Kentucky; Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi State all made big recruiting moves in week four