OT: Kansas City BBQ

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I’m in Kansas City tomorrow anyone have an opinion on the best BBQ here? A google search tells me Joe’s or Q39.

topbulldawg

Jan 27, 2008
Prepare to be disappointed. I was not a fan of KC BBQ when I lived there, its a different type. Gates BBQ was decent. I did not like Arthur Bryants at all.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
I’m in Kansas City tomorrow anyone have an opinion on the best BBQ here? A google search tells me Joe’s or Q39.
Q39 is awesome........Been there a couple of times passing thru KC and it's worth the stop......Brisket is terrific.......Jack Stack is good too........

Last edited:

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Joe’s is good, not as good as everyone raves about though.
I like Jack Stacks on W 22nd street better
I also think Slaps BBQ on Central Avenue may be the best overall.
I use to think Arthur Bryant’s was the best but can’t say that now after my last visit there in December.
This is about like debating catfish spots in MS however.

Reactions: ll Martain ll

ll Martain ll

Oct 5, 2014
Slaps in KCK has the best Ribs I've ever had. I go out of my way to get there when I'm in KC. It would be my first choice.

Q39 has good burnt ends. But I personally didn't understand the hype, but YMMV.

Joes is the solidly above average overall. Their Z-man sandwich is memorable. I prefer the Olathe location since it's bigger and easier.

Char is an underrated BBQ bar in Westport that few people talk about. It was so damn good.

I highly recommend BBs Lawnside for the ambiance. Solid BBQ but a great place to hang out too.

Jack Stack has the best beans if that's your thing. The meat is good not great.

My biggest advice about KC BBQ is don't get the regular brisket. They just don't know how to cook it compared to Texas. KC is all about the Ribs and Burnt Ends.

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Hope you get some burnt ends.

KC folks will cut a full brisket apart when making them. Let the point cook for 6 8 hours, slice it up and put it back on the smoker in a pan for an hour in BBQ sauce. I’ve never done it, but sounds good.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I was there a few months ago….had Jack Stack. Ribs were pretty damn tasty. I felt it was superior to Arthur Bryant’s, which was kind of forgettable when I’d had it several years ago.

In general I’m not a huge fan of the KC style sauce with the heavy tomato / molasses base, but JS was solid.

catvet

May 11, 2009
Jack Stack for ribs. Some of the best in the country.

Authur Bryant has good burnt ends and you get a lot of food, but the ribs are average as is the brisket. Pulled pork is good, not great.

Gates is where you go for brisket and the burnt ends are good as well.

To sum it up, Jack Stack for ribs and Gates for sandwiches especially brisket.

Reactions: Perd Hapley