OT: Larry David

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
The gifs if the bad larry thread got me thinking: where does Larry David rank in the pantheon of comedy (not just stand-up, but body of work)? Seinfeld plus Curb Your Enthusiasm is a strong showing. I'm not sure he cracks the top 10, but has gotta be fairly close.

And is Jerry Seinfeld on the Mount Rushmore? I'd think anyone would have Richard Pryor and George Carlin on there, but after that it seems pretty wide-open. I think I'd round mine out with Mel Brooks and Dave Chapelle.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
The gifs if the bad larry thread got me thinking: where does Larry David rank in the pantheon of comedy (not just stand-up, but body of work)? Seinfeld plus Curb Your Enthusiasm is a strong showing. I'm not sure he cracks the top 10, but has gotta be fairly close.

And is Jerry Seinfeld on the Mount Rushmore? I'd think anyone would have Richard Pryor and George Carlin on there, but after that it seems pretty wide-open. I think I'd round mine out with Mel Brooks and Dave Chapelle.
Bill Cosby is up there. What about old comedians? Jerry Lee Lewis and Dean Martin, Bing Crosby and Bob Hope? For their time, those guys were kings. Then there’s that other guy that gets no respect.

Reactions: dorndawg

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Is Max (or whatever HBO calls it now) the only way to stream Curb? I've never seen it aside from a few clips here or there.

• Wow
Reactions: Grove Sh.tter

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
monty python the french guard GIF

Monty Python Elderberries GIF by Fresh Interactive
Monty Python Movie GIF
monty python GIF
monty python misc films GIF
Terry Gilliam Egghead GIF by Monty Python
monty python GIF
monty python scratch GIF
Monty Python GIF

Don’t forget the British…

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Chaplin was in film but he changed film making and he made an entire generation laugh when they were going through rough times.

I like Pryor and Robin. They changed the face of comedy after they hit the scene.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Larry David is an inspiration to all who dream of being able to live a successful life while narcissistically telling everyone around you that you dont give a 17 and wont pretend to give a 17.

...and his Bernie Sanders impression is incredible.

David is easily top10 in observational/absurdism comedy.

Reactions: dorndawg

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The first 3-4 seasons of Seinfeld were kinda awful. I'm curious as to what writers showed up on season 4. That's when it started to get better. David was one of the team of writers and they started using Kramer more and multiple story lines that merged into one at the end.

Larry knows what is funny and so does Seinfeld. They had a good run. Might be the best comedy we ever see tbh. Good stuff.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I don't think I could limit an entire "body of work" to just 4 comedians. You have to break it down into categories. Too many good ones.

Standup: Pryor, Carlin, Chappelle, Steve Martin (hon mentions: Rickles, Dangerfield, Norm, Bernie Mac, Billy Crystal)
Classic/vaudeville: Laurel & Hardy, Martin and Lewis, Abbott & Costello, Chaplin (Three Stooges)
TV: Seinfeld, Bob Newhart, Steve Carell, Bill Cosby (Martin Lawrence, Dick Van Dyke, Harvey Korman, Tim Conway, Letterman, Carson, Jackie Gleason)
Movies: John Candy, Bill Murray, Will Ferrell, Gene Wilder (Chris Farley, Peter Sellers, Chevy Chase, Jim Carrey, Jack Black, Sandler, Belushi, all of Monty Python, Seth Rogen, Akroyd, Jonah Hill(?))
Creatives: Mel F'ing Brooks, Coen Brothers, Harold Ramis, Mike Judge, (Judd Apatow, Zucker Brothers, Rob Reiner, Bill Lawrence)
Females: Carol Burnett, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Mary Tyler Moore, Lucille Ball (Tina Fey, Amy Poehler)

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
This thread got the ole Devil to thinking given that stand up is one my favorite things humans do. Now I am not trying to take away from the thread, but I was just curious who are some of the packs favorite modern stand up comics. I will start, and these guys I think are hilarious, but they are in no particular order. Chris Titus, Doug Stanhope, Adam Ferrara, Brian Posehn, Daniel Tosh, Denis Leary, Greg Giraldo, Jim Jefferies, Jim Norton, Lewis Black, Natashsa Leggero, Neal Brennan, Nick DiPaolo, Ron White, Sarah Silverman, and Sebastian Maniscalco,

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I don't think I could limit an entire "body of work" to just 4 comedians. You have to break it down into categories. Too many good ones.

Standup: Pryor, Carlin, Chappelle, Steve Martin (hon mentions: Rickles, Dangerfield, Norm, Bernie Mac, Billy Crystal)
Classic/vaudeville: Laurel & Hardy, Martin and Lewis, Abbott & Costello, Chaplin (Three Stooges)
TV: Seinfeld, Bob Newhart, Steve Carell, Bill Cosby (Martin Lawrence, Dick Van Dyke, Harvey Korman, Tim Conway, Letterman, Carson, Jackie Gleason)
Movies: John Candy, Bill Murray, Will Ferrell, Gene Wilder (Chris Farley, Peter Sellers, Chevy Chase, Jim Carrey, Jack Black, Sandler, Belushi, all of Monty Python, Seth Rogen, Akroyd, Jonah Hill(?))
Creatives: Mel F'ing Brooks, Coen Brothers, Harold Ramis, Mike Judge, (Judd Apatow, Zucker Brothers, Rob Reiner, Bill Lawrence)
Females: Carol Burnett, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Mary Tyler Moore, Lucille Ball (Tina Fey, Amy Poehler)

You're showing your age (not that there's anything wrong with that).

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
This thread got the ole Devil to thinking given that stand up is one my favorite things humans do. Now I am not trying to take away from the thread, but I was just curious who are some of the packs favorite modern stand up comics. I will start, and these guys I think are hilarious, but they are in no particular order. Chris Titus, Doug Stanhope, Adam Ferrara, Brian Posehn, Daniel Tosh, Denis Leary, Greg Giraldo, Jim Jefferies, Jim Norton, Lewis Black, Natashsa Leggero, Neal Brennan, Nick DiPaolo, Ron White, Sarah Silverman, and Sebastian Maniscalco,

I'll add Nate Bargatze and Shane Gillis. Nate's SNL monologue is one of the funniest ever IMO...

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020

Billy Crystal on the same level as Norm Macdonald.....hmmm

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Billy Crystal on the same level as Norm Macdonald.....hmmm
"Body of work"? Absolutely. He was one of the most popular standups in the world for years, then he was on SNL, and in some of the most iconic movies of his era.

I love Norm, but Dirty Work doesn't equal Spinal Tap, Running Scared, When Harry Met Sally, City Slickers, Princess Bride, Monsters, Inc. etc.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
LD doesn't have a stand up career or I've never seen it. That's what separates him from the greats.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
LD doesn't have a stand up career or I've never seen it. That's what separates him from the greats.
He does. He started out as a stand-up comedian and did stand-up at least into the 2000's. It's just not as prominent as his writing or Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

fredgarvin

Jun 26, 2010

This is an excellent list. I would add Bob Hope to standup. I would swap Eddie Murphy (standup and movies) for Martin Lawrence and Dan Ackroyd for Jack Black. I would also add John Hughes to creatives.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021

This is going to be one of those threads that's going to be generational in nature.

Just for me personally, as far as stand up comics go, I'd say Dave Chapelle, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Rodney Dangerfield, Jonathan Winters, Steven Wright, Mitch Hedberg and Andy Kaufman deserve a mention. Senifeld, Pryor, Williams and Carlin are not negotiable IMO.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
It's how he got his start, and Curb Your Enthusiasm was the name of a standup special he did that evolved into the show. Clearly, it's not what he's known for.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
This is an excellent list. I would add Bob Hope to standup. I would swap Eddie Murphy (standup and movies) for Martin Lawrence and Dan Ackroyd for Jack Black. I would also add John Hughes to creatives.
**** I can't believe I left Eddie off my list... Delirious made my life as a 10 yr old who wasn't supposed to be watching it.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Ask 10 people you will get 10 different answers but here are my top 4, all are my fav based on their styles, so not in any particular order. Chris Rock and Eddie Murphy were good at certain points in their routines but they both wandered a bit off their best stuff. But Murphy in Nutty Professor was excellent.
  • Steven Wright
  • Dave Chapelle
  • Jerry Seinfeld
  • Richard Pryor

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Do any of y'all like British Comics? Theirs is a completely different interaction with the crowd. Off the top of my head Dara O' Brien & Jimmy Carr are some of the best.

Most of those that do stand-up are also on panel shows &/or are actors.

Just recalled Russell Howard & Greg Davies (of Task Master).

Also Sean Lock, RIP. Carrot in the Box!

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022

There is no comedy mt Rushmore without Rodney Dangerfield.

Reactions: Drebin and Dawgg