OT: Larry David

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Larry David is an inspiration to all who dream of being able to live a successful life while narcissistically telling everyone around you that you dont give a 17 and wont pretend to give a 17.

...and his Bernie Sanders impression is incredible.

David is easily top10 in observational/absurdism comedy.
There is a reason he does a good Bernie Sanders, they are cousins. No BS here.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
I don't think I could limit an entire "body of work" to just 4 comedians. You have to break it down into categories. Too many good ones.

Standup: Pryor, Carlin, Chappelle, Steve Martin (hon mentions: Rickles, Dangerfield, Norm, Bernie Mac, Billy Crystal)
Classic/vaudeville: Laurel & Hardy, Martin and Lewis, Abbott & Costello, Chaplin (Three Stooges)
TV: Seinfeld, Bob Newhart, Steve Carell, Bill Cosby (Martin Lawrence, Dick Van Dyke, Harvey Korman, Tim Conway, Letterman, Carson, Jackie Gleason)
Movies: John Candy, Bill Murray, Will Ferrell, Gene Wilder (Chris Farley, Peter Sellers, Chevy Chase, Jim Carrey, Jack Black, Sandler, Belushi, all of Monty Python, Seth Rogen, Akroyd, Jonah Hill(?))
Creatives: Mel F'ing Brooks, Coen Brothers, Harold Ramis, Mike Judge, (Judd Apatow, Zucker Brothers, Rob Reiner, Bill Lawrence)
Females: Carol Burnett, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Mary Tyler Moore, Lucille Ball (Tina Fey, Amy Poehler)
no stand up list can be complete without Bill Hicks... i have two more. first one you could put under TV and/or movies, Danny Mcbride. the 3nd you would need to start a new category with under Dark Humor, and thats Anthony Jeselnik, one of the darkest most sick comics ever.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
The gifs if the bad larry thread got me thinking: where does Larry David rank in the pantheon of comedy (not just stand-up, but body of work)? Seinfeld plus Curb Your Enthusiasm is a strong showing. I'm not sure he cracks the top 10, but has gotta be fairly close.

And is Jerry Seinfeld on the Mount Rushmore? I'd think anyone would have Richard Pryor and George Carlin on there, but after that it seems pretty wide-open. I think I'd round mine out with Mel Brooks and Dave Chapelle.
Curb and Seinfeld are both top 10 comedies ever, so definitely he’s one of the best ever.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Larry David had a great career after Seinfeld. Not sure who else from that show has had similar success.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Julia Louis Dreyfuss has had a seriously successful run since that show.

And an interesting bit of trivia if you didn't know. Her dad was a French billionaire in the energy sector.
Oh yeah. Forgot about her. Maybe because I've seen only a few episodes of Veep. But she's done really well.

Reactions: She Mate Me

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
Major difference in standup and comedic writing. Both LD and JS are top 5 comedic writers. Neither touch the top 25 in standup. Does Larry even do standup? Classic shoes for sure but who really thinks Jerry Seinfeld is a all-time great standup?

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
The first 3-4 seasons of Seinfeld were kinda awful. I'm curious as to what writers showed up on season 4. That's when it started to get better. David was one of the team of writers and they started using Kramer more and multiple story lines that merged into one at the end.

Larry knows what is funny and so does Seinfeld. They had a good run. Might be the best comedy we ever see tbh. Good stuff.
My son won’t watch any Seinfeld because he watched a few episodes of the first season. It was some turrrrrble television. Not even remotely funny.

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
monty python the french guard GIF

Monty Python Elderberries GIF by Fresh Interactive
Monty Python Movie GIF
monty python GIF
monty python misc films GIF
Terry Gilliam Egghead GIF by Monty Python
monty python GIF
monty python scratch GIF
Monty Python GIF

Don’t forget the British…
Governor Fordice could tell you ever damn line of every Monty Python movie ever made.

We were in Munich one nite and Arnold Schwarzenegger saw us and invited us to his private bar for Cubans. Fordice was laughing so hard he had tears in his eyes.

That was a great nite…

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Major difference in standup and comedic writing. Both LD and JS are top 5 comedic writers. Neither touch the top 25 in standup. Does Larry even do standup? Classic shoes for sure but who really thinks Jerry Seinfeld is a all-time great standup?

Lots of people. He's not one of my favorites, but in his prime he was considered among the very best. Before the show, all he was for many years was one of the best stand ups around.

Reactions: Dawgg

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Tom Segura is up there for comedians right now for me. I like Fat Bert but Segura is the better comedian. Shane Gillis is killing it right now.

Outside of The Machine story & maybe a special or 2 after that, his stand-up has become subpar. His podcast clips & appearances are funnier.

His life story at FSU was written about in Rolling Stone & became the film Van Wilder. So, he's still a party animal legend for that.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Governor Fordice could tell you ever damn line of every Monty Python movie ever made.

We were in Munich one nite and Arnold Schwarzenegger saw us and invited us to his private bar for Cubans. Fordice was laughing so hard he had tears in his eyes.

That was a great nite…
I've never heard "You invade my privacy again 6 months from now, I'm gonna whip your ***" in Monty Python.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Chris Guest has to be on the creatives list. Spinal Tap, Best in Show, A Mighty Wind, Princess Bride, Waiting for Guffman, For Your Consideration.

And as an actor Dick Shawn has some of the funniest scenes in movie history in The Producers and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Taste in comedians is about like tastes in beer, it’s all subjective, but any list that doesn’t include Robin Williams is wrong.
I love him as a person, and his comedy fastball is as good as anyone's - but that manic routine, a little went a long way for me.

Also was so talented he could have had a very solid career as a dramatic actor (Good Willing Hunting of course, but also One Hour Photo - jeepers creepers!)

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Funniest people of all time in no particular order - acting or stand up :

Larry David
Seinfeld
Robin Williams
George Carlin
Steve Martin
Jim Carrey
Norm Macdonald

Honorable mention: Martin Short, Richard Pryor

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Funniest people of all time in no particular order - acting or stand up :

Larry David
Seinfeld
Robin Williams
George Carlin
Steve Martin
Jim Carrey
Norm Macdonald

Honorable mention: Martin Short, Richard Pryor
Of course this is all opinion, so mine really doesn't matter any more than any other, but I just could never figure out how Steve Martin was funny. His comedy "deconstruction" never really did it for me. Same for Andy Kaufman. Maybe it was my age. I was 8 or so when they were at their height. Steve Martin is a great person, actor, and banjo ambassador, but just not funny to me.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I think Conan O’Brien is hugely underrated. He was a writer when the Simpson’s was the best it’s ever been. He was always funny on his shows, and between, podcasts, cameos, Hot Ones, etc where he is just himself, you can tell he is genuinely hilarious.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I think Conan O’Brien is hugely underrated. He was a writer when the Simpson’s was the best it’s ever been. He was always funny on his shows, and between, podcasts, cameos, Hot Ones, etc where he is just himself, you can tell he is genuinely hilarious.

The only one who tops Conan as far as late night hosts, is Craig Ferguson.

dawgoneyall

Nov 11, 2007
This thread got the ole Devil to thinking given that stand up is one my favorite things humans do. Now I am not trying to take away from the thread, but I was just curious who are some of the packs favorite modern stand up comics. I will start, and these guys I think are hilarious, but they are in no particular order. Chris Titus, Doug Stanhope, Adam Ferrara, Brian Posehn, Daniel Tosh, Denis Leary, Greg Giraldo, Jim Jefferies, Jim Norton, Lewis Black, Natashsa Leggero, Neal Brennan, Nick DiPaolo, Ron White, Sarah Silverman, and Sebastian Maniscalco,
Joe Biden

dgsmith15

Nov 10, 2008
The gifs if the bad larry thread got me thinking: where does Larry David rank in the pantheon of comedy (not just stand-up, but body of work)? Seinfeld plus Curb Your Enthusiasm is a strong showing. I'm not sure he cracks the top 10, but has gotta be fairly close.

And is Jerry Seinfeld on the Mount Rushmore? I'd think anyone would have Richard Pryor and George Carlin on there, but after that it seems pretty wide-open. I think I'd round mine out with Mel Brooks and Dave Chapelle.
curb your enthusiasm hbo GIF

Reactions: dorndawg

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
My son won’t watch any Seinfeld because he watched a few episodes of the first season. It was some turrrrrble television. Not even remotely funny.

The first 2 Seinfeld seasons are still better than most "comedies" they try to put out today. I'll admit, I usually skip the earlier episodes, but wouldn't call them terrible. Season 4 was for sure when it started to click - the "show about nothing" and the Keith Hernandez episodes were in 4 I think.

And I do want to add :
Any top comic list without JethreauxDawg is invalid anyway!

Reactions: eckie1

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
LD doesn't have a stand up career or I've never seen it. That's what separates him from the greats.
He started out as one, but he really sucked at it. Fortunately for him, he was tight with Jerry Seinfeld, and when Seinfeld got an NBC pilot, he invited David to partipate.

Larry David is a gifted comedy writer, though. And I thought he was really good in his role in Curb. Kinda makes me wish he would've played George in Seinfeld sometimes (for those who don't know, the George character is actually a fictionalization of Larry David).

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
There is not a name been given that shouldn't be in this list. . It's a very subjective list.

I still can't believe that nobody has mentioned Lenny Bruce. people like Bruce, Carlin, and Pryor are the shoulders that of a lot of comedians stand on for the last few decades. They broke a few glass ceilings that used to exist in entertainment.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I think you have to do comedy mount rushmores in categories. For example:

- Offensive comedy Mount Rushmore:

1. Don Rickles
2. Dice Clay
3. Sam Kinison
4. Bill Burr

- Old school comedians Mount Rushmore:

1. Lenny Bruce
2. Redd Foxx
3. Richard Pryor
4. George Carlin

- Def Comedy Jam Mount Rushmore:

1. Bernie Mac
2. Martin Lawrence
3. Chris Tucker
4. Mike Epps

- Non Offensive Comedy Mount Rushmore:
1. Jerry Seinfeld
2. Jay Leno
3. Garry Shandling
4. Sinbad

- Weirdly laugh-out-loud funny Mount Rushmore:
1. Norm MacDonald
2. Louis CK
3. Mitch Hedberg
4. Steven Wright

- "New Jack Swing" legends Mount Rushmore:

1. Eddie Murphy
2. Chris Rock
3. David Chappelle
4. Martin Lawrence

There's tons of newer guys who probably will ultimately be on lists as they keep at it. And of course this is all subjective anyway.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
There is not a name been given that shouldn't be in this list. . It's a very subjective list.

I still can't believe that nobody has mentioned Lenny Bruce. people like Bruce, Carlin, and Pryor are the shoulders that of a lot of comedians stand on for the last few decades. They broke a few glass ceilings that used to exist in entertainment.
Beat me to it on Lenny Bruce.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
He started out as one, but he really sucked at it. Fortunately for him, he was tight with Jerry Seinfeld, and when Seinfeld got an NBC pilot, he invited David to partipate.

Larry David is a gifted comedy writer, though. And I thought he was really good in his role in Curb. Kinda makes me wish he would've played George in Seinfeld sometimes (for those who don't know, the George character is actually a fictionalization of Larry David).
I was watching a Seinfeld DVD extra or whatever one time, they were talking about the origins of the show and the casting. They were having a hard time finding someone to play George and filming was starting soon. In walks (at the time very much not a star) Jason Alexander to audition, Larry David points to him and says "THAT'S George Costanza!"

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Nice job, if you going to use my post to make some kind of political statement could it at least be funny next time? I hate Trump and Biden equally, that pretty much goes for all politicians.
That's just backwards! You should love them. After all they are doing your bidding!

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I was watching a Seinfeld DVD extra or whatever one time, they were talking about the origins of the show and the casting. They were having a hard time finding someone to play George and filming was starting soon. In walks (at the time very much not a star) Jason Alexander to audition, Larry David points to him and says "THAT'S George Costanza!"
Yea, we just went through the DVD set again recently and watched the extras. Elaine was added by NBC. He and Seinfeld admitted it work out better than they thought. Larry David said George played him in the series. It was great going through the series again.

Reactions: dorndawg

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I saw a Jason Alexander interview. He said he started off doing kind of a Woody Allen thing, and didn't know for at least a couple of seasons that his character was based on Larry David. That many of the story lines and soon-to-be-famous one liners he was doing were actually real life episodes from David's life (like getting fired from SNL, then showing up on Monday pretending it had never happened). Once he found that out, he started really leaning into the craziness and became an all time great character.