OT: Napoleon on Apple TV+

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I decided this weekend to give the Ridley Scott Napoleon a watch. I generally like his movies. I will admit that I am not extremely well versed in that time period. I obviously know there was a French revolution and Napoleon at some point became emperor. I don't really know details about the government of France after the revolution and all the different machinations of it with the power void. Watching this didn't help clear any of that up but I did do a bunch of reading on the time period because of the movie.

The only thing that came to light was it made me realize what a great man George Washington was to care more about a nation than his own personal power. Seems all in France, as depicted in the movie, were as corrupt as the Monarchy.

The movie itself was not very good. He had a 50 year old tired Joaquin Phoenix playing a 25 year old vivacious Napoleon. Not very much insight into actual important things just more about what a slut Josephine was and what a cuckold Napoleon was. It was weird. I only made it half way through.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
It’s pretty terrible and as usual for a Ridley Scott film it’s incredibly inaccurate.

If you want to learn more about Napoleon and you’re into military tactics I would recommend Epic History on YouTube. They have an obsession with Napoleon and have done probably 30 videos about different battles and all his generals.

Jan 4, 2024
I'm pretty sure around the time of our Civil War the main military tactics taught at West Point were those of Alexander the Great, Ginghas Khan, & Napoleon. But yea, Napoleon was self absorbed and it led to his demise. Amazing man on the battlefield though

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I'm pretty sure around the time of our Civil War the main military tactics taught at West Point were those of Alexander the Great, Ginghas Khan, & Napoleon. But yea, Napoleon was self absorbed and it led to his demise. Amazing man on the battlefield though
Napoleon’s ability to plan for a battle was amazing but his ability to adjust during a battle was pretty incredible as well. He also had a long list of competent generals that made it even easier for him to win.

Reactions: Anon1704414204
Jan 4, 2024
Napoleon’s ability to plan for a battle was amazing but his ability to adjust during a battle was pretty incredible as well. He also had a long list of competent generals that made it even easier for him to win.
Yep. The (3) I mentioned were famous for winning despite being out numbered sometimes by vast margins.
Despite his failure at Gettysburg (many say illness clouded judgment which seems plausible considering his prior engagements), Britanica puts Robert E Lee in the same company though not on as grand a scale.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I decided this weekend to give the Ridley Scott Napoleon a watch. I generally like his movies. I will admit that I am not extremely well versed in that time period. I obviously know there was a French revolution and Napoleon at some point became emperor. I don't really know details about the government of France after the revolution and all the different machinations of it with the power void. Watching this didn't help clear any of that up but I did do a bunch of reading on the time period because of the movie.

The only thing that came to light was it made me realize what a great man George Washington was to care more about a nation than his own personal power. Seems all in France, as depicted in the movie, were as corrupt as the Monarchy.

The movie itself was not very good. He had a 50 year old tired Joaquin Phoenix playing a 25 year old vivacious Napoleon. Not very much insight into actual important things just more about what a slut Josephine was and what a cuckold Napoleon was. It was weird. I only made it half way through.
I thought it was an ok movie, certainly nothing special. And it really should have been called "Josephine and Napoleon".

Jan 4, 2024
I thought it was an ok movie, certainly nothing special. And it really should have been called "Josephine and Napoleon".
Yep. Making a movie 'bout Napoleon with other things with so mich more emphasis than his military history is prolly not a great idea.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Yep. Making a movie 'bout Napoleon with other things with so mich more emphasis than his military history is prolly not a great idea.
I don't know if I'd go that far, but certainly if somebody was expecting solely a war movie, they were disappointed. I knew going in it was going to focus more on his life and love(s) from a review or 2.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
It’s pretty terrible and as usual for a Ridley Scott film it’s incredibly inaccurate.

If you want to learn more about Napoleon and you’re into military tactics I would recommend Epic History on YouTube. They have an obsession with Napoleon and have done probably 30 videos about different battles and all his generals.
Just watch Oversimplified on Napoleon. It gives the entire Napoleon story in about 40 minutes.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
I thought the acting was decent, but the script wasn't great, and they veered too far from history in some well-known events.
The worst was the final battle...how history played out is nearly written for Hollywood, but they decided to pretty much re-write the battle to be "2 armies on opposite ridges shoot at each other, then charge".

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
I’d love to see a movie about Napoleon…from the Russians’ being invaded perspective.