OT: Old Coins - Appraisal/Grading Services

Tracer Bullet

Jul 30, 2018
I have a number (100+) of old coins from 1880-1930 I need to get appraised or graded.
Has anyone used one of those online services to do this?
Is there anyone in Mississippi, preferably close to Jackson or Starkville, who you would recommend?

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
There are about 15 or so coin dealers scattered throughout Mississippi, but unfortunately I don't know of any in Starkville. The closes would probably be Grenada or Meridian. There are about 4 - 5 in the greater Jackson area. Some of these guys have a shop (or pawn shop) and some do it part-time by appointment. Like everything else, the best thing to do is get yourself some knowledge of coin collecting & grading. The internet is a good source but so is a Barnes & Noble magazine rack with collector magazines like Coin World. Once you feel you have enough knowledge to be dangerous and feel that you really have some valuable coins ( old doesn't always mean valuable) you can begin your next step. Some appraisers will charge a fee some will not, none will grade. Coins worth more than $50 - $100 can be graded by NGC, PCGS or ANACS. Anything less than the aforementioned values isn't worth the price of grading. Go to the respective web sites for these companies to submit your coins direct. It takes 4 - 5 weeks to get the coin(s) back. If you like, send me a pic of a couple of the coins by PM and I can advice better. Good luck.

Last edited:

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
My god, we've gotten old. This has to be the mustiest post in SPS history.

We are 6 months away from a thread on adjustable beds.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Tomorrow is today. Ask and you shall receive.........

Reactions: aTotal360

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
My little brother is a member of a Numismatic group local to Jackson/Pearl that meets once-twice a month. Eclectic group of individuals there. If he (my brother) could value them, he could probably put you in contact with someone who could

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
I had a similar situation and took mine to Southern Coins and Precious Metals in Metarie, LA. I was headed to NOLA and this place was recommended. They appraised all my coins at no charge to me.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
There are posters who collect coins on this board. Someone will reach out to you.