OT: rental prices

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
I'm curious as to how many people are actually purchasing homes at over $800k now and how that compares to the rest of
Lower valued homes simply aren't as readily available, so that's the sector that's growing. Hard to move up in the housing world by selling right now, sellers end up paying double the interest rate. People have to also remember, the GSEs are now calling $750K homes "normal" by increasing lending limits. Also, don't look at mobile home prices. They jumped big too. Imagine a $250K mobile home. The GSEs are now involved with those as well and that didn't help the pricing on those either.

Last edited:

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
This would be true except Trump should be helping pump too. He started the handouts. Even came with a "Trump Signature" and brag on the letterhead.
One thing I didn't appreciate until recently is the costs imposed on big sellers by supply shocks. I mean logistics, including warehousing. Walmart and similar sellers in the 21st century got their logistics down to a science, buying and storing only what they needed. Supply shocks have blown that all up. They are all constantly realizing they bought too much of one thing or another and having to store them now., as consumers change their habits That's a higher cost. Plus, the supplier now has a big buyer suddenly cut them off. Then make a big order way later. Repeat. That raises their costs too! I saw a stat that Walmart had 20% higher costs due to this!

It's not material cost, it's supply shocks that are still reverberating across the economy. We think of it as supply cost plus profit, and try to pin higher inflation on one or the other, but really it's that overhead costs exploded.

This was like throwing a bowling ball in the bathtub. There's a big wave and splash, but then smaller waves that continue going back and forth for a while. We had high transitory inflation from the big shock, but this lower level effect is going to bounce around for a bit more.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
If you think $600 checks were bad, wait until you find out about PPP welfare.

You can search by ZIP here if you are curious https://projects.propublica.org/coronavirus/bailouts/
Also Employee Rentention Credit and Covid family Sick leave credit.
People are getting $150k per year for ERC and $15k year for Covid FSLC. The fraud from these two credit is in the billions.

The fraud from Earned Income credit is in the billions every year.

Reactions: patdog

MtPigsmore

Jun 29, 2019
Rule of thumb for rent I heard a few years ago was $1 per sq ft per month. Not sure if that's the case anymore though
It’s crazy how 4 yrs ago the math “mathed” very well at those numbers. Now I also get $1.40 for my properties in Madison, however queen mary hates rentals and is trying to drive them out. We have to have a yearly inspection (for $500) and are at the mercy of ignorant inspectors in what the deem needs repaired. Also have to carry surety bonds for Madison to tap into if we refuse.

Regardless getting $1.40 is a game changer for those of us that got in 2020 and before. Really gives a semi early retirement feel.