OT: Shogun on Hulu.. heavy spoilers..don't read if you haven't watched...

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Shogun and Tai-Pan are two of my all time favorite novels.

The series on Hulu has felt very faithful to the book and still it moves along at such a fast pace there is gobs of material left out.

There's no explanation of what rutters were and why Blackthorne himself was so valuable.

They glossed over the scene where Anjin explains the way of the world and the true intentions of the Portuguese to Toranaga by using a map drawn in sand. That's a huge moment in the book and I didn't think they did it justice.

I assumed they had just omitted the scene where Anjin attempts Seppuku only to be stopped by Yabu and Omi but MAYBE? they rewrote it so that he stood in as second for Mariko when she, herself attempts seppuku....? Either way I didn't like it. That was Blackthorne's rebirth as Anjin.

Hiromatsu commits seppuku?... WT17?... no way. He's second for Yabu after Yabu is outed and hands over his sword to Anjin.

Mariko's death was mostly faithful to the book... I dug it.

The entire novel is really just a love story between Anjin and Mariko against the incredible backdrop of feudal Japan. From the moment she dies the rest of the book is just a wrap up. I'm interested to see what they do with the final episode and how Toranaga plays the clever tricks to keep Anjin in Japan.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
That Richard Chamberlain & Toshiro Mifune are good actors…
talking season 5 GIF

Reactions: bully12

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Apropos of Tai-Pan…

Former Arsenal Chairman Chips Keswick passed away a couple days ago… Two of his brothers were tai-pans of Jardines and a nephew is their current Tai-Pan.